SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
My thought would be to do this like an XC contest with a group of teams all working together towards setting the new record. If you could get 5-6 teams and make attempts for 2-3 days, each evening lessons can be shared and tactics can be improved.

After looking at courses in the California central valley and just east of Sparks, Nevada, high traffic or high-speed traffic are both going to make the attempts challenging. The route from Gerlach, NV south on 447 looked interesting, but I started at Fernley and went south to Silver Springs and the traffic is moving at 65-75 mph and so the terrain looked good, but it may be too dangerous to try. Most straight routes over 100 miles long are going to be travelled at freeway speeds. The central valley is criss-crossed with roads, but the adjacent properties are mostly grapes, with supports that will tear up a plane, or fruit grown on trees, which pose a similar challenge for landings. In many locations there is not much more than a tractor's width of land separating the agriculture from the roads.

Sacramento to Visalia is about 215 miles and we only need a 140-mile stretch. I would encourage a few or the NorCal XC teams to try the less direct routes south and make their own evaluations.
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:45 PM
District X Norcal AVP
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
77 Posts
Norcal Course??

Rich B. and the Norcal/ SVSS guys. What about from the Rio Vista area to the Redding area? Depending on where you start and stop that is 180-190miles and relative direct. You already fly a good portion of that during the SVSS cross country. You have 113 down in the delta up threw Dixon then pick up Pedrick road skirt Woodland and then pick up old 99 north of Woodland and stay on that and work your way up the valley to Redding. Just have to decide do you want to launch in Redding and come down the valley and hope for no delta breeze or start in the delta and make the gentle climb north. Another thing is if you found the right day with the summer north wind blowing "not to hard" you would have a tail wind speeding up your ground speed. That is till you got down to the delta influence.

Thoughts?

Forrest
LaunchPadMcQuack is offline Find More Posts by LaunchPadMcQuack
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:23 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaunchPadMcQuack View Post
Rich B. and the Norcal/ SVSS guys. What about from the Rio Vista area to the Redding area? Depending on where you start and stop that is 180-190miles and relative direct. You already fly a good portion of that during the SVSS cross country. You have 113 down in the delta up threw Dixon then pick up Pedrick road skirt Woodland and then pick up old 99 north of Woodland and stay on that and work your way up the valley to Redding. Just have to decide do you want to launch in Redding and come down the valley and hope for no delta breeze or start in the delta and make the gentle climb north. Another thing is if you found the right day with the summer north wind blowing "not to hard" you would have a tail wind speeding up your ground speed. That is till you got down to the delta influence.

Thoughts?

Forrest
Last year I researched a route starting near the windmill farm just west of Rio Vista. I even drove down there and found a suitable winch launch site. The route would then travel Hwy 113 for a few miles then some Solano County roads bypassing Dixon, then Pedrick rd north skirting the west side of Woodland, then old Hwy 99 paralleling I-5 for quite a ways, then our SVSS XC thermal safari route, back to Old hwy 99 up to Red Bluff with a land out at a track field at a high school on the south side of Red Bluff. This route is pretty straight and would beat the straight line distance record by about 2 miles I think I remember. Past Red Bluff is a real problem so getting from Red Bluff north is not really feasible (unless you want to brave I-5).

A team would need to wait for a south wind to try this. The advantage of starting from the southern Rio Vista side is that it would be relatively close and multiple attempt days would be easier than driving up to Red Bluff. The majority of active Calif XC fliers live near Sacramento and Bay Area. Rio Vista is in between. On the right day with the right team it would be do-able but would likely involve many attempts. And believe me, there are some days when conditions are ideal, I know as my SVSS club field is in the area (5 miles south of Davis). The logistics of waiting for the right day and quickly mobilizing the team, observers, etc., would be difficult at best.

I watched Dean Gradwell and John Ellias plow thru a mountain of paperwork after setting a new goal and return XC record at our last Cal Valley contest. It is a real hassle, maybe even harder than the actual flying. I think the hassle/bureaucracy factor is a big impediment to people actually attempting records.

Steve Henke
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Last edited by TrekBiker; Oct 25, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Racing for the Record

The Sierra - Inyo - White - Candelaria - Luning - Gabbs - Shoshone 200 mi route
http://web.archive.org/web/201006062...com/racing.htm
Rickmas is offline Find More Posts by Rickmas
Old May 09, 2013, 04:02 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,177 Posts
Desert center to Phoenix is looking good from the back seat of a car
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old May 09, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
Greg

Would that route be along Interstate 10? Seems like a really busy highway to fly from.

John
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old May 10, 2013, 10:08 AM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,177 Posts
There is a smaller road to the north. Not sure how it looks from there.
Old Jul 08, 2013, 11:05 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,091 Posts
Gents,

I am doing some research for an unrelated to soaring event, but still a XC venture nonetheless and was wondering what type of vehicle you use for your flying cross country?

And do you have any signage stating what you are doing? Or does the general public have no clue on what is happening?

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 08, 2013, 01:21 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
Frank,

Mostly use convertibles or pickup trucks. No signage as most courses are out in the middle of nowhere so there isn't anyone to tell about the event. I have seen the slow moving vehicle triangle used on occasion on the chase vehicle.

tom
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jul 08, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,091 Posts
Thanks for the info Tom. Sounds like a convertible would be best since CA does not allow anyone riding in the back of trucks anymore. Least I don't think they do anyway. Plus some A/C and or heat would make things a little nicer even though the top would be down.

Thanks again for the info.

Frank
Old Jul 09, 2013, 12:47 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,177 Posts
If $ are not object the big Jeep with removable top is popular. If you are cost conscious or need to use the car as your primary transport, the VW Cabrio is an excellent choice. Back seat is bigger than the Mustang, gets around 30 mpg, and the driver/pilot/vario communication is very good if you plug the vario into the (aftermarket) stereo. You can adapt to fly out of the front or back seat. I shopped about 80 on Craigslist before buying one. You can find them running for 2500-8000 depending on condition. Plus they don't attract attention to CHP like the pickups.
Old Jul 09, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,091 Posts
That's some great choices. Thanks! I never even thought about a Jeep.

Frank
Old Jul 09, 2013, 05:58 PM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
Skip in about a 1:30 into this video and you will see photos of a number of the chase vehicles.

The Full Montague (3 min 0 sec)
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Jul 11, 2013, 01:41 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,091 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video. Some good choices there, although for comfort and fuel economy, I bet the Mustang wins out?

Frank
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:28 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
I bought a Mustang for XC and like it. Several hundred miles have been flown out of it already. I've spent a lot of time in the back seat (flying) and it's adequate. However all of this has been done with only 3 in the car. Having two people in the back seat for a flight of several hours is going to be cramped. If everyone gets out to stretch every time you stop to thermal it's doable.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Thanks for sharing the video. Some good choices there, although for comfort and fuel economy, I bet the Mustang wins out?

Frank
ThermalSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker