HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:59 PM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
537 Posts
Thats funny dude. Who woulda thunk it. She was making nice smoke though, I mean when it was flying!
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
Here is my carbon reinforcement if anyone is interested.

matchpoint is offline Find More Posts by matchpoint
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Looks good! Are you going to re cut the venting holes?

I have the feeling a lot of the problems come from where the motor mount meets the tube, the corner breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
Here is my carbon reinforcement if anyone is interested.

bubsmurray is offline Find More Posts by bubsmurray
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
I really should cut the vent holes, just havent got around to doing it yet. Still not sure if I am going to in the end, but I dont want to burn up the motors, as I have three fans
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Just be carefull on 14s on the scorpion 560. I tried on 40c packs and drew 6500 watts until the motor connections got so hot the solder melted.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
Im running 12s, on 560kv
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:43 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsmurray View Post
Just be carefull on 14s on the scorpion 560. I tried on 40c packs and drew 6500 watts until the motor connections got so hot the solder melted.
What esc did you use?

I used Firecat esc and there was no reasonable heat to16 s
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Hi model ice hv 180a. Could have been a bad connection. Not sure, but motor was too hot for my liking after running on 14s

Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
What esc did you use?

Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Who sells firecat. Am interested to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
What esc did you use?

Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Hi guys

Did another test. Am getting 95 amps on 12s with the scorpion 560 motor. Thrust is 10 lbs with a 100mm exhuast diameter. Was expecting a lot more. Is something wrong with the setup? Plane has plenty intake area as it was designed for 127mm ic fan.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
Who sells firecat. Am interested to look into it.
Sorry ...fighterCat rc...I think they went out of business though
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys

Did another test. Am getting 95 amps on 12s with the scorpion 560 motor. Thrust is 10 lbs with a 100mm exhuast diameter. Was expecting a lot more. Is something wrong with the setup? Plane has plenty intake area as it was designed for 127mm ic fan.
I get 14.5 lbs of thrust around 90 amps 12s\scorpion 560kv\3300mah 65c Nano packs

Do static thrust test first for basline without thrust tube also....what is your voltage?

Are you using a sled? If so has it been baselined also? Meaning...using a fan that you know is getting the thrust to watts that's advertised

Regards
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Hi Guys

Here is the setup. Took the fan out and tested on the test jig and got a poor 8.2 lb! Scorpion 560 12s 95A with good battries.

Something is wrong, I got more thrust mounted in the plane ?

Shroud is homemade carbon tube with a Rclander housing to mount the motor onto. I made a collet type blade adaptor and it is workign very well with almost no vibration.

Tried it on 14s and go 10lb.

Any Pro's out there with some suggestions?

I am going to mount it tonight back into the original shroud and measure again.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys

Here is the setup. Took the fan out and tested on the test jig and got a poor 8.2 lb! Scorpion 560 12s 95A with good battries.

Something is wrong, I got more thrust mounted in the plane ?

Shroud is homemade carbon tube with a Rclander housing to mount the motor onto. I made a collet type blade adaptor and it is workign very well with almost no vibration.

Tried it on 14s and go 10lb.

Any Pro's out there with some suggestions?

I am going to mount it tonight back into the original shroud and measure again.
Great fab of the shroud, will have to hit you up later for how you did the adapter...

2 issues

1. You're not using a lip...

Without an intake lip the air is slowing down before it gets to the fan blades because it has to go around a sharp shroud to get there.

I fabbed an intake lip out of EPO and use it for testing

You can prolly do something similar with pink foam from HK ....around an inch thick and use a sharp 9mm box cutter knife and an hours worth of time rounding the edges then glassing it...

Or, purchase and Air Sally intake lip for 50usd shipped and use 1mm or 2mm thick foam from the dollar store on the outside of the shroud for the Air Sally intake lip to have a really tight fit.

2. You're using RC Lander Stators (the fins that twist the air and attach the motor can holder to the shroud)

You usually have to match the stators to the rotor or EDF fan part and you usually can't use any stators with any rotor. I've found this with a lot of testing that you'll find a stator\rotor match 40% of the time but that's it. What ever fan is made the stator twist is USUALLY matched to the pitch of the rotor, if you miss match them like some manufacturers are doing with the CS and CS like rotors now the thrust will be horrible.

The higher the pitch, the higher the load on the fan the more the twist in the beginning of the stators have to be in general. I'm not a fluid dynamics expert but this is what I've found out to be the issue when I get low thrust numbers from some of the metal shrouds that have come out recently....

Try the CS 120 12 blade shroud again and reinforce the motor mount...Mine has been through 2 crashes 1 flip onto the shroud (protected by well made AS intake lip), 2 fires (literally) and tons of FOD cause I don't' have any brakes and it has stood strong and I only reinforced it with 1/8" ply.

CS did a pretty decent job of matching the stators with the rotor on their CS fans....pretty decent efficiency

regards
Last edited by erh7771; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Feb 2010
284 Posts
Good point on the stators. I often wondered about the AOA and shape necessary to match up to a given rotor. And then how many is ideal? It seems like the shroud and stator design is as important as the rotor itself.
db_sonic is online now Find More Posts by db_sonic