HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
Hey if its not to much to ask can someone help me out with a possible reliable setup with this particular EDF running a 12s. Motor and ESC. Will something like this be good for it http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Product=21968? I would appreciate any help. From looking over the thread it looks like so many opinions.
matchpoint is offline Find More Posts by matchpoint
Last edited by matchpoint; Nov 01, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:27 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
Hey if its not to much to ask can someone help me out with a possible reliable setup with this particular EDF running a 12s. Motor and ESC. Will something like this be good for it http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Product=21968? I would appreciate any help. From looking over the thread it looks like so many opinions.
On 12s that would be around 10...or 11.....thousand watts....

CS has a video of the fan eating around that much power on a scorpion 800kv motor on 12s...around 200 amps...

More practical is a 630kv on 12s 140 amps or 560 on 12s and 14s....around 18lbs 12oz on 14s 120 amps with 560kv.

I told those guys 800+ kv was too much for the fan and they listened to some one in a post who've never tested the thing...came out with the motor in your link a month later.

There is a 560kv on HKs site, you'll have to replace the shaft on it to an 8mm shaft and you're good to go.

mcmaster sells 8mm shafts
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:50 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
Is this what you are refering too? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28136

And how hard is it to change shafts, i dont understand how you can change sizes with a pressed bearing fit. How do i know what length too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
On 12s that would be around 10...or 11.....thousand watts....

CS has a video of the fan eating around that much power on a scorpion 800kv motor on 12s...around 200 amps...

More practical is a 630kv on 12s 140 amps or 560 on 12s and 14s....around 18lbs 12oz on 14s 120 amps with 560kv.

I told those guys 800+ kv was too much for the fan and they listened to some one in a post who've never tested the thing...came out with the motor in your link a month later.

There is a 560kv on HKs site, you'll have to replace the shaft on it to an 8mm shaft and you're good to go.

mcmaster sells 8mm shafts
matchpoint is offline Find More Posts by matchpoint
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:27 AM
Registered User
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Matchpoint - I have the motor you have linked to mounted in this fan. I reinforced the motor mount as per the posts earlier in this thread. Changing the motor shaft to 8mm is very easy, this is a heli spec outrunner design for 700 clas helis, it actually has an 8mm shaft and bearings inside the motor only the output end of the shaft has been machined down to 6mm to fit the pinion size that is commonly used on larger electric helis. The shaft can be replaced with an 8mm blank, it needs to be slightly longer than the standard shaft to allow for the fan motor mounting reinforcement. The motor is a snug fit in the motor tube on the fan housing, I had access to a latthe at work so turned the motor bell ribs down slightly to give more clearance. Hope this helps
Jactor is offline Find More Posts by Jactor
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:33 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jactor View Post
Matchpoint - I have the motor you have linked to mounted in this fan. I reinforced the motor mount as per the posts earlier in this thread. Changing the motor shaft to 8mm is very easy, this is a heli spec outrunner design for 700 clas helis, it actually has an 8mm shaft and bearings inside the motor only the output end of the shaft has been machined down to 6mm to fit the pinion size that is commonly used on larger electric helis. The shaft can be replaced with an 8mm blank, it needs to be slightly longer than the standard shaft to allow for the fan motor mounting reinforcement. The motor is a snug fit in the motor tube on the fan housing, I had access to a latthe at work so turned the motor bell ribs down slightly to give more clearance. Hope this helps
The blacks are like 8usd at MC master and the diamond whole cutter to open up the can a little bit more is 4usd on amazon..or should be close to that price...

well worth it IMHO...
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
Great thanks guys. What esc do you recommend as well. And what do you mean open up the can?

Im going to carbon fiber reinforce the motor mount
Pu the blades
Static and dynamic balance
Anything else i should be concerned with?
matchpoint is offline Find More Posts by matchpoint
Last edited by matchpoint; Nov 02, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
For pressing in a new 8mm shaft from mcmaster how much longer should I buy the shaft, do I need it to have a keyway/flatspot or anything like that? For this motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28136
matchpoint is offline Find More Posts by matchpoint
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:22 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
For pressing in a new 8mm shaft from mcmaster how much longer should I buy the shaft, do I need it to have a keyway/flatspot or anything like that? For this motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28136
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Shaft_Set.html

Is a decently long shaft...

yeap you do need to do a flap spot cause most likely there will be a grub screw need for the bottom of the bell
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:37 PM
world's slowest builder
Air-Jon's Avatar
CA
Joined Oct 2006
721 Posts
You want an HET 800 68 590 for this fan...perfect setup. I have a brand new...never run motor... i will sell you or anyone here shipped for $150. No modifying anything...just mount it. I was going to build one of these fans but decided agsinst it. Het said i could send it back for an exchange...but i dont really want to deal with shipping back to them.
Air-Jon is online now Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:10 PM
world's slowest builder
Air-Jon's Avatar
CA
Joined Oct 2006
721 Posts
Actually make it $140 shipped. By the time you get the motor from HK and get the shaft and pay for the shipping...You might as well just buy this motor off me...and you will help me get the 800-60-830 i need for a different project
Air-Jon is online now Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:27 PM
Banzai Institute
buckaroo's Avatar
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
537 Posts
Air-Jon check the motor again. It must be an 800-73 as there is no 590Kv in the 68 series.

Cheers,
Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:19 PM
world's slowest builder
Air-Jon's Avatar
CA
Joined Oct 2006
721 Posts
Oops...your right. Thanks for catching that. Tooo many motor numbers in my head
Air-Jon is online now Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:22 PM
world's slowest builder
Air-Jon's Avatar
CA
Joined Oct 2006
721 Posts
Here she is
Air-Jon is online now Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:25 PM
world's slowest builder
Air-Jon's Avatar
CA
Joined Oct 2006
721 Posts
One more
Air-Jon is online now Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:28 PM
world's slowest builder
Air-Jon's Avatar
CA
Joined Oct 2006
721 Posts
Its a beautiful motor...im just not going the CS12/RAMTEC direction any more...and that is what this motor is for....or its for 14-15s insanity on a dynamax...to much trouble for me.
Air-Jon is online now Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Change Sun 12 blade 90mm Flip Flop Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 7070 Jun 27, 2014 07:21 AM
New Product Change Sun 120mm and new 10 blade 70mm fans Flip Flop Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 131 Apr 27, 2012 07:07 PM
For Sale Change Sun 120mm EDF yellowbird2800 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 5 Apr 14, 2012 08:03 PM
Sold Change Sun 120mm Flip Flop Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Oct 28, 2011 10:41 PM
Sold Change Sun 120mm Flip Flop Aircraft - Fuel - Jets (FS/W) 0 Oct 28, 2011 04:50 PM