HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:52 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
scatsob's Avatar
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Discussion
Change Sun 12 blade 120mm

Well after getting the 90mm version in hand I am really excited to get the 120mm 12 blade fan now. Im hoping they increase the price linearly ($0.50 per mm based on the 90mm) so it should be in the $60 range right?

Iíve got a NEU 1521/2.5Y ready to go for this fan and I intend to put it in a Falcon 120 on 12s.

If you get any more info on this one FF please let us know.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:03 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
Well after getting the 90mm version in hand I am really excited to get the 120mm 12 blade fan now. Im hoping they increase the price linearly ($0.50 per mm based on the 90mm) so it should be in the $60 range right?

Iíve got a NEU 1521/2.5Y ready to go for this fan and I intend to put it in a Falcon 120 on 12s.

If you get any more info on this one FF please let us know.
Cs claims they are out of testing phase on them Iirc, would love for this to be a low Rpm fan....there are plenty of 5055 & 5065 low kv motors in the 30$ range that can be used
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:27 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
scatsob's Avatar
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Cs claims they are out of testing phase on them Iirc, would love for this to be a low Rpm fan....there are plenty of 5055 & 5065 low kv motors in the 30$ range that can be used
The only problem I can see with those is the current draw would exceed what they can handle. With my 1521 I am expecting 5kW. I donít think a 5055 could handle 100 amps at 44 volts. I agree though, there are certainly some cheap motor options out there. I know itís not $30 but the HET 700-98 670 KV is an awesome motor for $160 and would probably work well with this fan.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:35 PM
I can fly anything..... Once!
FL62's Avatar
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Feb 2004
1,133 Posts
Hopefully they are smart enough to make the motor tube large enough for all of the high power outrunners - maybe 50-55 mm?
FL62 is offline Find More Posts by FL62
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:34 PM
Registered User
LuvEvolution7's Avatar
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if not, just do what Lee does and make your own standoff for an outrunner.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:48 PM
Registered User
Flip Flop's Avatar
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
529 Posts
I know they are close, they have been testing the hell out of it to try and make sure it is good before they release them.
I hope soon, I would like to put one in my falcon 120 too!
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:54 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,846 Posts
A 1521 is going to be too small for any 120mm size fan. I have burned up enough of them to know! A 1527 with a Kv in the 700 range would be fine.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:04 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
scatsob's Avatar
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
A 1521 is going to be too small for any 120mm size fan. I have burned up enough of them to know! A 1527 with a Kv in the 700 range would be fine.
Even with a 630 Kv? I figured that would be low enough to keep me out of trouble. Im not one to push things too hard.......yet.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:50 PM
Registered User
LuvEvolution7's Avatar
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
or you could send your motor in to Lee to get it rewound. he does some fantastic work. he's deffinitely found the most power on the cheapest budget. 16lbs of thrust for less than a hundred bucks is my kind of budget at this point in time. I'de love XPS, but it's out of my price range after this recession kicked me in the groinal region. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:35 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
The only problem I can see with those is the current draw would exceed what they can handle. With my 1521 I am expecting 5kW. I donít think a 5055 could handle 100 amps at 44 volts. I agree though, there are certainly some cheap motor options out there. I know itís not $30 but the HET 700-98 670 KV is an awesome motor for $160 and would probably work well with this fan.
Lee had been putting 4 to 5000 watts through an HK 5060 sized motor for a while now.

A 500 kv 5065 would be nice for 15 pds of thrust at 4500 watts
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:25 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
scatsob's Avatar
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Lee had been putting 4 to 5000 watts through an HK 5060 sized motor for a while now.

A 500 kv 5065 would be nice for 15 pds of thrust at 4500 watts
OK, your talking about the heli motors right? I was thinking the .90-1.20 equivalent outrunners like the one I have on my Extra 330 and I know it can not handle anywhere close to 4.5kW without melting. Hmmmm...might have to add one of those motors to my next HK order.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:06 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
OK, your talking about the heli motors right? I was thinking the .90-1.20 equivalent outrunners like the one I have on my Extra 330 and I know it can not handle anywhere close to 4.5kW without melting. Hmmmm...might have to add one of those motors to my next HK order.
Yeap, I'm talking about the SUPPO heli motors (low kv) and the red Turnigys...they can eat some watts in the 4-4500 range and that's what it seems like the sweet spot for fans these days.

Quite as it's kept, the SUPPO 910kv motor can length is 12mm longer than the Turnigy 880v but it's diameter is more narrow. At 37 a piece I got one, gonna try it with the 120mm CS blade fan when I get a thrust stand built.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Nov 27, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:11 PM
Inspiration
modisc's Avatar
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2011
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL62 View Post
Hopefully they are smart enough to make the motor tube large enough for all of the high power outrunners - maybe 50-55 mm?
If the housing remains the same as the old 120mm CS fan unit, then it will take scorpion 4035 motor perfectly. but just to mention that the holes for fixing the motor are probably made for M4 screws, might be a little too big for m3 screws which used on scorpion 4035.
modisc is offline Find More Posts by modisc
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:20 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
scatsob's Avatar
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Yeap, I'm talking about the SUPPO heli motors (low kv) and the red Turnigys...they can eat some watts in the 4-4500 range and that's what it seems like the sweet spot for fans these days.

Quite as it's kept, the SUPPO 910kv motor can length is 12mm longer than the Turnigy 880v but it's diameter is more narrow. At 37 a piece I got one, gonna try it with the 120mm CS blade fan when I get a thrust stand built.
Who carries the larger Suppo motors other than HK? Are the ones HK sells the big ones?
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:05 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
Even with a 630 Kv? I figured that would be low enough to keep me out of trouble. Im not one to push things too hard.......yet.
630Kv might be ok, but you can't run it for extended period of time. It's just a small motor. Too small for the job really.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Change Sun 12 blade 90mm Flip Flop Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 7081 Jul 28, 2014 08:25 AM
New Product Change Sun 120mm and new 10 blade 70mm fans Flip Flop Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 131 Apr 27, 2012 07:07 PM
For Sale Change Sun 120mm EDF yellowbird2800 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 5 Apr 14, 2012 08:03 PM
Sold Change Sun 120mm Flip Flop Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Oct 28, 2011 10:41 PM
Sold Change Sun 120mm Flip Flop Aircraft - Fuel - Jets (FS/W) 0 Oct 28, 2011 04:50 PM