HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:18 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
OK, here is a question for you all, and maybe it's posted some where, but I'll ask it anyway. Just what qualifies for a vintage and old timer plane? Is it the date of the original plane or the date of the drawing that put it to balsa & spruce, or...?

Say I wanted to take a 3 view of an old plane, like the Turbine or the Anderson Greenwood AG-14 and work up a plan, would that be considered OK sense both were originally designed before 1960 and I can't find plans for either one. Or would the fact that I drew up the plans this year / beginning of next, it would be considered "new"?

Just wondering,
Mark
If the plane was designed before 1960, it qualifies. Most people will build a model of one of their favorites.

If you need a plan you can look at the plan thread, most are from before 1960.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265873

If you want to draw model plans for a plane designed before 1960, it would be legal, but I would hope that a vintage plan that you like would be more in the spirit.

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:43 PM
free bird
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Hi Mark, I am also going to draw up my own plans from a detailed multi veiw!Im looking forward to your build!
Mike

Quote:
Say I wanted to take a 3 view of an old plane, like the Turbine or the Anderson Greenwood AG-14 and work up a plan, would that be considered OK sense both were originally designed before 1960 and I can't find plans for either one. Or would the fact that I drew up the plans this year / beginning of next, it would be considered "new"?
Mickey D is offline Find More Posts by Mickey D
Old Dec 01, 2011, 04:43 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Scott, I'm in with the Ted Petrolia Cobra as my main entry (this is a good excuse to build one) and if I have the will/time I was thinking about the Turbine. The 3 view from the 1950 Aeromodeller Annual is all I have been able to come up with so far and sense I like big gliders, that one is a beauty. I'll ask on the plans thread but so far, the plans seem to be about as elusive as hen's teeth.

No biggie either way, I was just wondering if/when I build it, if it would be eligible. Seems to me it would be a good candidate for a summer night / rainy day kind of project.

Mike, what one are you looking at?
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Dec 01, 2011, 05:10 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Mark, if/when you build it, it would be eligible. Go for it
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:11 PM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Quick61,
Im going to do a 1946 Cessna 140 and possibly a Gee Bee Model z. both are for free flight!
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
Quick61,
Im going to do a 1946 Cessna 140 and possibly a Gee Bee Model z. both are for free flight!
Yea!

A free flight Gee Bee, that should be interesting.

Mark
Old Dec 01, 2011, 07:11 PM
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
393 Posts
I'm in for a Megow Super Quaker with Ohlsson 60 ignition, r/c assist. Here's the start of the thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post20025845

Jim
jjscott is online now Find More Posts by jjscott
Old Dec 01, 2011, 08:02 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Welcome aboard Jim, good luck!

O&W
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:19 AM
notsomodernmodeler
Joined Nov 2011
24 Posts
I'm in as well, With a Debolt Cruiser, date 1954. I have a partial kit a collector friend purchased via ebay. He and I are always trading stuff back and fourth and couldn't resist this model. There is somethig quite romantical' about too much stabilizer area and too much dihedral! An inventory of parts shows the fuse was started at one time and is mostly missing(not a problem). I have a brand new Torpedo .35 R/C Green Head for power. I will use a new Futaba 6DA for guidance. I have also hoarded up enough Aero-gloss dope for a few projects.

[B]Kudos to Quick61, the Petrolia Cobra! It's in my top 5 miniature aircraft of all time. I assume you have full size drawings? I have a set in new condition if that may be of any assistance. Do you know if the design was ever published? I've never seen a construction article for it and would love to be able to add that atricle to my library. I have some other design obligations this year that would cramp time for a Cobra in this years schedule.....maybe next year!

Good luck to all! I can't wait to get started! Jim
flyerflorio is offline Find More Posts by flyerflorio
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:57 AM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Hello Scott,

I would like to join with Jigť 200
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1546461

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Last edited by czirh; Dec 02, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:05 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Welcome Cem, good luck in the contest.

Scott
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:24 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerflorio View Post
I'm in as well, With a Debolt Cruiser, date 1954. I have a partial kit a collector friend purchased via ebay. He and I are always trading stuff back and fourth and couldn't resist this model. There is somethig quite romantical' about too much stabilizer area and too much dihedral! An inventory of parts shows the fuse was started at one time and is mostly missing(not a problem). I have a brand new Torpedo .35 R/C Green Head for power. I will use a new Futaba 6DA for guidance. I have also hoarded up enough Aero-gloss dope for a few projects.

[B]Kudos to Quick61, the Petrolia Cobra! It's in my top 5 miniature aircraft of all time. I assume you have full size drawings? I have a set in new condition if that may be of any assistance. Do you know if the design was ever published? I've never seen a construction article for it and would love to be able to add that atricle to my library. I have some other design obligations this year that would cramp time for a Cobra in this years schedule.....maybe next year!

Good luck to all! I can't wait to get started! Jim
Jim have a look at this thread - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=cobra There are plans there which include a redesigned stab for RC that was done by Ted Petrolia himself. brokenspar did a real nice job with his build and has given me the inspiration to do it myself. Then there is rabidrue1's build of a 60% Cobra that is also very nice here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=cobra

I'll be doing mine 100% scale as size does matter. Besides, 80" is about 100" short of being big. I want to do it electric W/ folding prop. I don't have a motor glider yet, so this should do nicely.

Mark
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:45 AM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Yea!

A free flight Gee Bee, that should be interesting.

Mark
Thanks Mark,

I just might bump it up on my list! I will post my build log as soon as I finish my current model.

Brokensparís cobra is amazing wow!!!

Jim, you might also like this type of model itís more of a cute model than an elegant one but Iím uncertain of the year it was designed!?

Mike
Little Bug
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:52 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
Thanks Mark,

I just might bump it up on my list! I will post my build log as soon as I finish my current model.

Brokenspar’s cobra is amazing wow!!!

Jim, you might also like this type of model it’s more of a cute model than an elegant one but I’m uncertain of the year it was designed!?

Mike
Attachment 4457099
MICKEYD; I think the little Bug was designed in the 70's. It was a free plan in the Aeromodeller in 1979.

Have a look here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349569 for "Super Bug".

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Dec 02, 2011, 04:02 AM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Thanks mark! it's the first time I have seen this model other than the plans! too bad it's from the 70's though!