HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:52 PM
United States, IA, Sergeant Bluff
Joined Jun 2011
81 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Tips, Tricks, Hints, Secrets & How To's to help make a build/rebuild easier...

Hey guys..I've been meaning to share this little tip but by the time I am done with the project that reminded me to share this little helpful hint...I forget LOL I am praying this becomes a good little resource of tips on how to improve the build or rebuild process.

Please post your little hepful tips to make this hobby a little less frustrating during assembly/disassembly. Please dont assume the little "tips & hints" you know are common knowledge....I didnt come to know about the tips below until recently.

MAGNETIZE YOUR TOOL:
Have you ever been working on a little project and that tiny little screw is just not co-operating, like on a MCPX for example...especially the feathering shaft screws!!?? Would it help if your tool was magnetic to hold that little bit, screw, bolt...etc??? Did you know you can magnetize your tool? Yup...take a magnet (the stronger the better, an old car stereo speaker is a good one) and on one side of the tool (screwdriver for example) rub the magnet on one side of the tool only...from the handle down to the tip...repeat a few times...again, from the handle to the tip...and there you have a magnetized tool now....as long as it is metal of course.

FIX ROUNDED ENDS ON ALLEN WRENCHES:
Last night I was trying to assemble a 450 Clone. I loctited every metal to metal screw/bolt. I was getting frustrated because the four little Allen Wrenches that I was trying to use had tips that were getting rounded at BOTH ends...on all four wrenches! I tried thinking what I could do...put a piece of aluminum foil around tool to make it tighter...too tedius! I had a metal metal file sitting next to me the whole time so I decided to use it! I just ground down past the rounded part...voila - brand new tool

"MAKE" THE SIZE OF ALLEN WRENCH YOU NEED:
If you have a grinding wheel (or lots of patience) and you want to "make" the size of allen wrench you need, grab the next size up (if you have spares) and grind each side down a bit with a grinding wheel or metal file until you have a very tight fit.

I hope this helps!

Got any other ideas, tips, tricks, hints, secrets...etc. that would help with a build or rebuild...post em here please.
If you would like me to add your idea, hint, tip,trick...etc.to the list above, let me know, I would be happy to and I will add your name to it to give you the credit for submitting the idea.

Blessings,
Rick
ABADGTP is offline Find More Posts by ABADGTP
Last edited by ABADGTP; Dec 09, 2011 at 12:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined May 2009
217 Posts
Thanks for the tip.
I just stick a small strong magnet and leave it on the screwdriver.
seair is offline Find More Posts by seair
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:13 AM
Joined Jun 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seair View Post
Thanks for the tip.
I just stick a small strong magnet and leave it on the screwdriver.
Thats a great tip too. Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Jun 2011
81 Posts
I posted this tip on another forum and here are some other suggestions to magnetize the tool (If you posted the below idea on Helifreak, let me know if you want me to add your username next to the idea here, PM me and I will as long as your username is the same on both forums)

- Using a Magnetizer/Demagnetizer tool you can buy at your local home improvement shop/store.

- Using magnets from a magnet set...irodidium magnets

- Tightly wrap a piece of wire around the screwdriver shaft several times and then touch the ends to a battery for a split second and that will magnetize one. (The poster of this idea also mentions: I've only done this with car batteries. I wouldn't suggest trying it with a lipo.) I WANT TO ADD: PLEASE KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE TRYING THIS OPTION, ESPECIALLY IF CERTAIN BATTERY TYPES NEED TO BE USED

- Use a magnet from an old car speaker, stick screwdrivers to it for when needed.

- Use magnets from old hard drives, they have roughly 50 lbs of pull and cost almost nothing to obtain, another one is a disk ndfeb magnet that's about an 1 3/4 in diameter and 3/4 thick and has a 125lb pull

- Walkera V400 Tail motor magnet or the Neodynium magnet on an old airsoft motor...strongest magnets for their size. A few seconds in contact with one of those and you are good for 20 minutes.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:15 PM
Joined Jun 2011
81 Posts
Added how to fix rounded tips on Allen Wrenchs
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:20 PM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how to fix rounded ends on ball driver tips.
mando is offline Find More Posts by mando
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:22 PM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
Fried brushless motors are a good source for strong magnets. They pop out pretty easy with a screwdriver.

The hex drivers that RC car folks use are a good quality. Seem to fit into screws tighter. They look to be machined to the correct size rather than extruded to size. I check mine for round tips and use a dremmel to keep them sharp before it rounds a screw socket. Go slow with the dremmel and cool it in water often to retain it's hardness and temper.
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:42 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
If you have an allen wrench that slips, or even a phylips head screw...
Dip the tip of the tool in some diamond dust polishing compound (I have an old Permetex tube). I have yet to have a screw/bolt I couldn't remove this way.

This was told to me be an long time mechanic friend.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 09, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaktech View Post
Fried brushless motors are a good source for strong magnets. They pop out pretty easy with a screwdriver.

The hex drivers that RC car folks use are a good quality. Seem to fit into screws tighter. They look to be machined to the correct size rather than extruded to size. I check mine for round tips and use a dremmel to keep them sharp before it rounds a screw socket. Go slow with the dremmel and cool it in water often to retain it's hardness and temper.
Nice pointers, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
If you have an allen wrench that slips, or even a phylips head screw...
Dip the tip of the tool in some diamond dust polishing compound (I have an old Permetex tube). I have yet to have a screw/bolt I couldn't remove this way.

This was told to me be an long time mechanic friend.
I have never heard of this before...thanks. Where can you find the diamond dust polishing compound & how much is it?

Thanks again all...keep the tips, tricks & hints coming!
Old Dec 09, 2011, 12:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
81 Posts
Here is another idea I have done before with duplicate sized Allen Wrenches. If you have a grinding wheel (or lots of patience) and you want to "make" the size of allen wrench you need, grab the next size up if you have spares of that size and grind each side down a bit until you have a very tight fit. Seems I always somehow have several of the sizes I dont need!

HTH & Blessings...have a GREAT weekend all!
Rick
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:16 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABADGTP View Post
Where can you find the diamond dust polishing compound & how much is it?
I got it at the local autoparts shop. My tube wore out, (one of those aluminum toothpaste like tubes) and have since transferred the contents to another container (not sure if it dries out, but I felt better about it), but I seem to remember it being around 1 to 1.5ounces. I can't remember the exact price, but it was only a couple of bucks. Don't let the word diamond fool ya

This doesn't say diamond dust anywhere. I remember my buddy saying that was the important part, but this sure looks familiar
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...g_Compound.htm
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:38 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABADGTP View Post
Nice pointers, thanks for sharing!

... Where can you find the diamond dust polishing compound & how much is it?

Valve polishing compound, fine grade...

G.
GLFaria is offline Find More Posts by GLFaria
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
81 Posts
Excellent....thanks for contributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLFaria View Post
Valve polishing compound, fine grade...

G.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:16 AM
Re-kitting Expert
USA, CA, California City
Joined Jul 2009
164 Posts
Keep plenty of new, sharp single-edge and X-acto blades on hand. You'll go through quite a few trimming parts and covering.
Tarasdad is offline Find More Posts by Tarasdad
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:38 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2011
161 Posts
For best results trimming covering materials and the least resistance, use 1/2 of a double edged razor blade.

Bill
Billinaz is offline Find More Posts by Billinaz