ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,216 Posts
It's now up on the site:

http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=79
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:22 AM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,441 Posts
BTW, the 32 ounce weight Zeke lists should be very doable. I think Mike's prototype was right at 30 ounces with a 2100mAh pack. During testing I also flew it with packs as small as 1250 without CG issues.
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:05 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer View Post
BTW, the 32 ounce weight Zeke lists should be very doable. I think Mike's prototype was right at 30 ounces with a 2100mAh pack. During testing I also flew it with packs as small as 1250 without CG issues.
We concure with Thayer and the 32 ounce would be the upper weight with retractable landing gear.
The prototype was built with some very heavy hard wood. I also ended up using some MonoKote on the prototype.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,689 Posts
Santa ordered one for me this morning....

I guess I've been a good boy.

Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner View Post
Santa ordered one for me this morning....

I guess I've been a good boy.

Denny
thank you for your order Denny. I know you will enjoy it as much as we have
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
Hi Zeke,

I ordered one this morning and no rush but the assembly instructions link is not working. I probably don't need instructions until Santa delivers mine.....

Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:17 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Hi Zeke,

I ordered one this morning and no rush but the assembly instructions link is not working. I probably don't need instructions until Santa delivers mine.....

Denny
Denny the instructions manual should be online next week. We have most of it completed and just have a few more things to complete. Are you going to do the landing gear option?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMike View Post
Denny the instructions manual should be online next week. We have most of it completed and just have a few more things to complete. Are you going to do the landing gear option?
Mike,

I am not sure if I will go with the landing gear or not. I saw the pictures earlier in the thread. I guess I would like to have the gear as most my flying is from grass. What size servos did you use, 9gr ?

What kind if watt/pound numbers are you seeing with the 450 with 890kv? I am looking at a couple of 450 motors from Heads up, one is. 880kv and the other is 1100kv. I am kinda leaning towards the 110kv. With. 9x6 they are saying 18a which would give about 188 watts.

I am not in a hurry as I have another project on the bench right now.

Thanks,
Denny
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:57 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

I am not sure if I will go with the landing gear or not. I saw the pictures earlier in the thread. I guess I would like to have the gear as most my flying is from grass. What size servos did you use, 9gr ?

What kind if watt/pound numbers are you seeing with the 450 with 890kv? I am looking at a couple of 450 motors from Heads up, one is. 880kv and the other is 1100kv. I am kinda leaning towards the 110kv. With. 9x6 they are saying 18a which would give about 188 watts.

I am not in a hurry as I have another project on the bench right now.

Thanks,
Denny
Denny
I used some 9g servo's I salvaged from a foamy china kit as this was the prototype. For the LG if you do retractable your going to need something like the Hextronic MG-14 found here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8303
As far as the prototype we were flying on I think 176 watts. I believe the 1100kv that your looking at should be just fine.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:20 AM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,441 Posts
I measured the power at under 150 watts, actually. 1100Kv will be great as long as it can also handle the 15-20 amps.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer View Post
I measured the power at under 150 watts, actually. 1100Kv will be great as long as it can also handle the 15-20 amps.
Hi Thayer,

I am looking at a couple of 450 motors from Heads Up RC and both are rated at 20-22 amps.

I have a Polaris that flies great but always like the look of scale or sport scale models. I had planned in building Ken Willard's Drake but the Kingfisher fills the need nicely (plus it's all laser cut),

Nice talking with you on RC Groups, we met last year at the Toledo Show.

Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,441 Posts
Denny,

Those should be more than fine. I've wanted to do another large Drake for quite a while and to make it look a little more like a scale model. Have long considered retracts for it as well. Would be nice to be able to taxi out on the beach.

Thayer
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:14 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=138

^ Here's how I envisioned adding landing gear for a Drake. It's not very aerodynamic, but it get the wheels up out of the water for taxiing. There would need to be some stop-blocks that take the load off the servo when the wheels are deployed.

Oops - original thread is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...00#post8507202
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Dec 17, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:26 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=138

^ Here's how I envisioned adding landing gear for a Drake. It's not very aerodynamic, but it get the wheels up out of the water for taxiing. There would need to be some stop-blocks that take the load off the servo when the wheels are deployed.
In a few posts back you can see how we had designed for the Gear to function. It will need rubber wire grommets to seal the tube in the fuse. A torque tube transfers from one side to the other. With the use of 1/2A steering blocks it would make it easier to plug gear in, tighten the set screws and go. In the down position there will need to be a stop block that it comes against to take impact off of the servo. I need to finish with the prototype work on the other gear in order to show how it can be done.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:14 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,441 Posts
Warhead,

Interesting to see our 5 year old discussion come round again. I agree, it should be pretty easy to do. I've seen Mike's design up close and that looks viable as well.