SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:27 AM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,430 Posts
Here are a couple shots of the spray rails. One closeup in the workshop, one doing their job. As you can see they are very effective. I just Zapped some 1/4 triangle stock to the fwd hull chine and profiled it slightly with a Master Airscrew razor plane to ease the sharp corner that would inevitably get beat up. The balsa was also sealed with thin Zap applied with a q-tip.
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
count me in
nfsiv is offline Find More Posts by nfsiv
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:26 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
I'm in!
Fast Freddie and NFSIV I will talk to Zeke about getting it posted to the website. For now you can send a message to sales@parkscalemodels.com and request a kit. I am sure you will enjoy the plane and look forward to getting some out there.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
I Got to fly this bird today, fly's very nice and I must say a blast flying off water (a first for me). Thanks guys! you have a winner here.

Best,

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:35 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesperpound View Post
I Got to fly this bird today, fly's very nice and I must say a blast flying off water (a first for me). Thanks guys! you have a winner here.

Best,

Mark
Mark glad you enjoyed the virgin flight for you. I am sure your going to be flying this one a whole lot more. Thayer wants one more round of testing and then he will turn it over to you. It will probably happen this weekend. Lets get together again for that.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:15 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Final round completed.

Yesterday I met up with Mark and Thayer. The winds were a good strong 7-10 out of the North East with intermittent gusts to 12. There was some pretty rough water. I would say the waves coming on shore were between 2-4 inches with 6 inch swells. Far rougher than a full scale plane would even attempt to fly from.
That being said and our desire to really wring every bit out of the plane to see just how well the airframe would preform. First up was Thayer to test the water rudder change he did. I have to say that the plane performed great even in the rather tough conditions that the plane should never been in.
Mark took the sticks of his new to him plane and was having a blast flying around skimming the tops of the waves.
We now have all the data we needed as far as control throws and CG limits/ extents and can apply them to the instructions manual. Lets get a bunch of these babies in the air for next years NEAT fair
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:03 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,430 Posts
Not so fast Mike!

Today dawned clear and calm and started warming up nicely. By the time Mark and I got to the lake it was about 50 with light and variable winds. It wasn't flat calm yet, but it was headed in that direction.

We ran 6 packs through the Kingfisher in about an hour and a half, pushed the CG back to about 34% and tried out some aileron differential and simulated washout. Mark was having a much better day than I, painting it on time and again as sweet as could be. I was fighting myself mostly, and not letting the Kingfisher do its thing. Yeah, I got a few nice ones, but I also think I had the biggest splashes of the day. On the other hand, I didn't see him loop, roll, or spin it either.

He has a few photos and will be posting some. One is already up on the Albatros thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=24

I am charging batteries so I can get back out there before the sun goes down. Time to go fly the Sea Monkey with my boy!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:40 PM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Ha, certainly we were treated to some fine conditions. We literally flew the tail off her and now looking to get back out there. The weather stays like this it will be hard to take the Kingfisher off line for mods.

Thayer I could have easily Looped rolled and spun, however then we would have needed that recovery Vessel . I think we tied for most water taken on though.

Either way I got the bug, water bug that is.

Thanks again guys, Fun Fun Fun!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:53 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
Really looks great Mark! I love the 2nd and 3rd shots!
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:58 PM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Thanks Zeke! Wish I had taken some when the wind went calm. could have had some reflection shots. Oh well. This will be a great kit.

Best,

M
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:35 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
Thayer was able to put together a montage of video clips that Mike took when Thayer, Mike and Mark took the Anderson out for it's last round of testing.

Some changes/adjustments have been made based off all of the test flight data and the kit is ready to go into production. This has turned out to be one great plane, both in the air and on the water! I hope to have it up on my site sometime today or tomorrow.

Park Scale Models - 1/9 Scale Anderson Kingfisher (2 min 8 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,430 Posts
It is a little hard to hear my "notes" while watching the video and I want to let you know what I think is going on during the stall and spin tests, starting just before the 50-second mark. I had the elevator full aft with just the faintest bit of power before it stalled. You can clearly see the left wing falling slightly at the break, but as soon as the nose came down it started flying again, as soon as I got off the elevator.

As for the spin a few seconds later in the next shot, you can see the left wing drop in the initial rotation, it then hesitates briefly after the stall and then begins to spin to the left. It then stopped its rotation as soon as I released the controls. I think what happened here was that it took that acceleration after the initial tip stall to make the control inputs effective again and actually start spinning. Note also that we were flying with pretty aggressive control inputs. It does not want to depart stable flight without a lot of encouragement from the sticks.

The Kingfisher is good fun. And from what I have seen of the structure while working on this one and looking at Mike's second, it ought to be an easy build. I am definitely looking forward to building mine after the first of the year and getting out to the lake a bunch as soon as the weather warms again.
Thayer
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,644 Posts
Zeke and Thayer,

Thanks for the video! Too bad you didn't have any fun!

I'll check the web site and order one (Merry Christmas to me!)

Zeke, I know you have a lot going on but it thought I read somewhere that you were going to enlarge your Monocoupe? Any progress?

Thanks,
Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner View Post
Zeke, I know you have a lot going on but it thought I read somewhere that you were going to enlarge your Monocoupe? Any progress?

Thanks,
Denny
Not yet Denny...too much other stuff going on trying to get other projects finished up and out to market. It's on the short list though!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:16 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,644 Posts
Zeke,

Sounds good, I know how that goes....

Can you post when the kits are available on your website?

Thnx,
Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Dec 13, 2012 at 04:56 PM.