HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:50 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Discussion
1/9th scale Anderson Kingfisher

After some discussion with a fellow RCG'r I was convinced to rework the Anderson Kingfisher in the PSM style making it light and easy to build. I am most of the way through the design of the fuselage to make it easy to build without plans.

Here are the proposed specs
span: 48.66
length: 31.33
height: 10.66
wing area: 317.33

Proposed power
I am planning an e-flite 370 1360kv motor (Used a Neo 370 1000kv)
max esc 40a (Used a Great Planes 25a)
Prop size will be 8" (Used a 9x6)
Battery is a Thunderpower 3S2100

Estimated weight should be around 25oz giving a wingloading of 11oz/sq ft. ( Prototype came in at 29oz. Had only heavy wood to cut the kit from and used MonoKote on the wing as that was the only covering I had on hand.)

Controls will be aileron/ throttle/ rudder/ elevator. I will be designing the landing gear option for dual use, but not sure whether I want to go all the way with creating the retract function of the gear or make it land adjustable. I would like to know what others would want should they buy the airplane kit.
(Retractable landing gear has been designed and the next plane will get them)
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Last edited by CapMike; Sep 13, 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Added information on the finished plane and a picture
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:19 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Doesn't seem to be much interest in something like this.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:53 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
I got plans for a 80 inch wing span one that i was going to build one day. I could copy and get you a set Mike if your heart is set on one. Iam interested in any seaplanes Mike here is one i think you could tweek to fit your needs and it has folding landing gear. PDFs are here also made from depron. joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529912
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Nov 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:04 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I got plans for a 80 inch wing span one that i was going to build one day. I could copy and get you a set Mike if your heart is set on one. Iam interested in any seaplanes Mike here is one i think you could tweek to fit your needs and it has folding landing gear. PDFs are here also made from depron. joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529912
Joe thanks for the offer on the plans. I have looked at the Volmer and downloaded those plans already. As far as your offer on the plans I appreciate it and already have a set that was drawn by Champion. Yours might be interesting to look at though.
I already have a 3D model drawn up and am working on creating the parts file for it.
Mike
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:16 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMike View Post
Joe thanks for the offer on the plans. I have looked at the Volmer and downloaded those plans already. As far as your offer on the plans I appreciate it and already have a set that was drawn by Champion. Yours might be interesting to look at though.
I already have a 3D model drawn up and am working on creating the parts file for it.
Mike
I will dig mine out and see who drew them if i can tell at all. A guy in the classifieds section was selling one all framed up and i asked him if he had the plans and if he was willing to copy and send them. I sent him 15 bucks and in no time had a set of plans. I just ordered Ivans twin otter and his albatross plan and will busy for a long time with those and one more small plane i wanted to build so i dont see building the kingfisher is in my future any time soon.lol Here is a 60 inch drake but they call it a sea cruiser ,60 inch wingspan and just a blast to fly. I have plans if you need for this one also mike. It could use to be lightened up a bit but still flys great. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Nov 28, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:13 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I will dig mine out and see who drew them if i can tell at all. A guy in the classifieds section was selling one all framed up and i asked him if he had the plans and if he was willing to copy and send them. I sent him 15 bucks and in no time had a set of plans. I just ordered Ivans twin otter and his albatross plan and will busy for a long time with those and one more small plane i wanted to build so i dont see building the kingfisher is in my future any time soon.lol joe
Joe kind of sounds like me. I am doing the design work and will most likely have Zeke at Parkscale models sell the kit. I wanted to do something like the Drake but bigger than the one he did. I like hos small Drake, but I wanted something bigger to handle the wind we get. At any rate I plan to do it in the same style Zeke does the rest of the kits as an interlocking.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:21 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
Kingfisher is a Great idea!...I have the Champion kit here and beings I like electrics and things lighter these days , may not build it...at 48"s...im in floatplane ectasy
racie34 is online now Find More Posts by racie34
Old Dec 01, 2011, 08:09 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
how's the Kingfisher doing Mike?
Old Dec 01, 2011, 08:48 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
I am plugging away at it Bruce. Along with getting the garage organized for the new toys coming Saturday
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:54 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMike View Post
Doesn't seem to be much interest in something like this.
I just now found this thread - and I'm interested!!!

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:59 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffinIN View Post
I just now found this thread - and I'm interested!!!

Geoff
Hey Geoff How are you buddy. Glad your interested.

Over the past week I have been doing a little on the design work as well as making room for the Lathe and Milling machine Have them home now so back to the design work.
This morning I dod a little on the Landing gear and figuring out the gear mount. Now that I have that figures out I think I can go ahead with the rest of the design work. I can post pictures of people are interested
Old Dec 03, 2011, 09:39 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
of course we are......post em up
Old Dec 09, 2011, 05:44 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
hows it coming along Mike?
Old Dec 09, 2011, 07:51 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
I have the fuse completed the LG design, most of the wing completed working on the motor pod and sponsons now.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:59 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Here is a preview

Well as promised to some people here is a preview of what I have done so far. Still working on a few thing. I have the wing complete for the most part. Working on the sponson and motor pod and hope to have things done soon. Let me know what people think