HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:03 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Gallery
flying through morning fog

Recorded back on Labor Day 2011, this version was edited and stabilized with Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11.

Fun flying a blue and white Easystar through white fog/clouds and blue sky.

Flying in Fog (2 min 48 sec)
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:24 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,382 Posts
Now that is a neat video! Around here, a person doesn't get to see fog that often, so when you flew through and above it sure made for a good video!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:28 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
Neat video.
sparklet is online now Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:48 AM
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Thanks, guys. This was a good flight, and IMO the Vegas edit is better than the Windows Movie Maker version uploaded earlier. Search my YT list for "Morning Mist" to compare if interested.

I'm getting pretty regular stuttering on youtube videos lately. Clearing cache & rebooting hasn't changed it. It's happening on other people's videos as well, including vimeo. It might be this computer, and I'll have to wait till Monday at work to confirm that it's only my home laptop.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:23 AM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,835 Posts
Nice Vid!
How did you judge how deep the cloud was when looking through mist from the ground?
You must have been pleasantly surprised when you first saw the results.
Cheers

Andrew
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Although the fog was getting patchy by the time I flew, at first it was pretty solid. Visibility along the ground was only about 200 feet. Looking straight up, however, showed blue sky. That told me that the layer wasn't very thick.

The plane got a bit hazy in the first 50' of altitude, but never worse as I climbed, so that told me about how thick the layer was. It was never so bad that I couldn't tell orientation. It was nearly dead calm, so I simply trimmed for a climbing circle, then powered off and trimmed for a slow, circling descent.

The most frustrating part was in knowing that it was probably a good video, yet no way to review on-scene since I don't have a monitor on the GoPro.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bē View Post
I'm getting pretty regular stuttering on youtube videos lately. Clearing cache & rebooting hasn't changed it. It's happening on other people's videos as well, including vimeo. It might be this computer, and I'll have to wait till Monday at work to confirm that it's only my home laptop.
Good news and bad: it's fine at work. Good, because the stuttering isn't in everyone's video feed. Bad, because the problem is on my laptop.