HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Build Log
23,6" WW1 Albatros DV

Hey guys,

here is my first scratch build RC plane. Its the Albatros DV (inspired by Freddie B who started to build a very nice Albatros.

the facts:

Take-Off Weight: 8,46 oz (241g)
Wingspan: 23,6 inches (60cm)

2s 600 mAh LiPo, http://www.pichler.de/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_270&products_id=764"]1700kv Motor[/URL]

It will maiden tomorrow if the wind is calm enough I'm pretty nervous. So please cross your fingers for me =)
If it flies well, it will get a nice paint theme. Hope you like it.
sasquotschi is offline Find More Posts by sasquotschi
Last edited by sasquotschi; Nov 26, 2011 at 02:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:17 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
That is a very nice first effort. Good luck with the maiden flight. - Allen
rab is offline Find More Posts by rab
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:53 AM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
yesterday i maidend it. but it was very windy so it wasn't much fun to fly this small and light weight baby. but hey it flies and already survived 3 very hard crashes almost without any damage. only the undercarriage broke.

Does someone has an idea about how to bend a symmetric undercarriage from 1mm steel? my previous tries ended up in a non-straight one.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:44 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Best way to bend the undercarriage would be to draw it out on a plan so you can bend each leg to a pattern so that it will be symmetrical on both sides. It can almost always be half design, half art to bend one perfect. But practice does improve one's efforts. I hate doing a UC more than once on a build, but sometimes we have to suffer a bit to perfect a few bits!

Glad to here it flew, but sorry for your damage. Next time try to wait for some clear weather! will be great to see your color scheme and all when you get there. I'll bet it will be terrific looking.

Very nice execution of the fuselage structure and panels covering it all. Love it!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:32 PM
Joined Oct 2005
78 Posts
Looks like a nice build! Die schöne Arbeit! Weiter so!
Alexander AG is offline Find More Posts by Alexander AG
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
thanks a lot for your kind comments!

@freddie, i couldn't hesitate any longer to test if it flies but i will never fly again with such heavy winds and so less wingspan and weight.

yesterday i made the nose cone with the help of 4 layers of 6mm depron glued together. After that i glued this thing on my dremel multitool and sanded it. so it has a very smooth and round shape

also i decided with paint schema it will get. it will be "Otto Kissenberths" Dv from 1917/18.

But i still need a nice idea how i can prepare the bare naked depron for painting. I want to paint with a foam brush. perhaps someone of you has an idea how i can get rid of all those small sanding dust remains on the depron itself.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:19 AM
builds more then he flies
United States, WI, Almena
Joined Oct 2010
176 Posts
im having a hard im believing thats your first scratch build. that looks great!
toki891 is offline Find More Posts by toki891
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
81 Posts
a great site,many useful information!
[img][/img]
caaraa is offline Find More Posts by caaraa
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:05 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
sasquotschi,

Let's see if this link works. I posted my method in another thread of finishing foam with paint so that you can't tell it's foam. Comes out as smooth and nice as you want.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=211

Hope that helps on the spinner, and many projects to come. It all looks great, and th spinner came out great BTW!

Fred
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:33 AM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Hey Freddie,
i already read your tip about finishing foam somewhere in on rc groups the problem is, that i live in germany and can't find the "Polycrylic from Minwax". So i need to find an alternative. Is the Polycrylic from Minwax something like parquet lacquer?

thanks for your comments and yes it is definitely my first scratch believe me, it doesnt look that good in real like on the fotos
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:13 PM
Ajutor de băgător de seamă
San Carlos, CA
Joined Mar 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquotschi View Post
Is the Polycrylic from Minwax something like parquet lacquer?
Yes, it's a parquet lacquer. The key aspect though is that it's water-soluble (read the label, it should say something like "water-based", "water-soluble", "latex" or that the brush can be cleaned with warm water) and won't attack the foam. Just stay away from the other type of floor finishing lacquer, which mentions "thinner" or "acetone" or "solvents", it will ruin your beautiful plane.
gigelus2k3 is offline Find More Posts by gigelus2k3
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:28 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Didn't know you were out of Country ( mine) sorry. Polycrylic by Minwax is an acrylic finishing varnish. Acrylic is water based like gigelus2k3 mentioned. There have been many types of water based varnishes in the USA since the 1980's so there should be some in Europe too. Someone mentioned that possibly an acrylic (latex) paint base may work similar. They mentioned the deep base, for light colors since it has a cream colored additive but I think it is untried. Hopefully you have paint stores in Germany and an employee that has been around paint for some time, they should know what brand, make, etc of water based clear coating varnishes exist there too.

Fred
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:29 AM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Didn't know you were out of Country ( mine) sorry.
no problem. i'am the foreigner in this forum here

that sounds great and in a german forum i found some guys that seems to have adopted your method and they use "AQUA CLOU Treppen+Parkett-Versiegelungslack". So there seems to be something similar here Great. Some properties of it:

environment friendly, waterbased primer and sealer (Polyurethan-Acrylatcopolymer).

So i need to go to the DIY-Shop once again this week.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,265 Posts
Getting a nice finish on foam is quite easy.

For a first coat i use 1/3 of water , lightweight filler , grey household emulsion ( paint for internal walls ) , when its dry sand back with 480 grit so its nice and smooth, i can see pits or dents better with the grey for some reason.

2nd coat , 1/3 water, water based floor varnish ( it usually states quick drying ) colour. Add the water last and just add until creamy , i use household type wall emulsion for colour as its pretty thick it needs the water to make it more useable.

Sand.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:10 AM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
and what do you use to clean the modell after sanding and before applying the final paint coat?