SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RTF Thumper, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:07 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Discussion
Lipo Fire

BoomSplat just had his lipo burn up in his Corsair. This big three cell had no visual issue, Charged well. No puffing or any thing, he put it in his plane flew for a few minutes plane started acting strange. Landed and POOF lots of white smoke and started a thermial run away. He was able to save the Air frame but the ESC is melted. Guys this is a no SH#T heads up, have gloves and a fire extingusher at the field or you may lose a plane or worse yet get hurt. Please baby sit the charging of these lipos even if you have done it for years it only take once and it sad times for all.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Last edited by RTF Thumper; Nov 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Pics Added
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:13 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Maybe you should post this on the Lipo Fires are real thread. sounds nasty though, glad no one was injured and the airframe was ok.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:18 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
How do you know it was the lipo's fault? It sure sounds like a short in the electrical system that started the whole thing. Any high discharge battery will burn under these conditions, check the entire system, not just the lipo.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
741 Posts
Sad story...
And so true: do keep an eye on your lipos while charging!!! Personnally I've once had a lipo puffing/burning while charging... If it wouldn't have been for my fast reaction and the fact that, when charging and also for storage, my lipos are kept in a fire-safe environment... I could have gone so wrong... and it happened so fast...
Take care of your lipos!

Happy landings Chris
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
Maybe you should post this on the Lipo Fires are real thread. sounds nasty though, glad no one was injured and the airframe was ok.
Gary is a retired USAF Firefighter as am I, It was his ability to work through the initial shock and react quickly to save the Airframe, the cold temps has us wearing gloves so he had a head start. This was a no warning situation, will post aftermath photos as the wow what the hell happend look see progress
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
How do you know it was the lipo's fault? It sure sounds like a short in the electrical system that started the whole thing. Any high discharge battery will burn under these conditions, check the entire system, not just the lipo.
I don't know yet what caused the Thermal degradation of this power source, it may have been a short don't know yet. The ESC is half burned up and what caused the Li-Po to burn may never be known. so I am not blaming the Lipo just stating what is known at the moment will continue to inform as the facts present themselves.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
AMA 105167
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
It doesn't matter if it was the LiPo's fault or not ... the simple fact is .... THEY BURN. They can catch fire and it's not un-common ...

I will not use them.
D_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by D_Dawg
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:15 PM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Dawg View Post
I will not use them.
Sounds a bit rash. There are millions of LiPos in use in our hobby, and such a tiny proportion burn, and even then most of the time it is from mis-use. They are not - as some may try to tell you - ticking time bombs waiting to explode!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:19 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
It doesn't matter if it was the LiPo's fault or not ... the simple fact is .... THEY BURN. They can catch fire and it's not un-common ...

I will not use them.
Hold on Dawg, I think the use of Li-Po's are very safe. If you are aware of the risk and take steps to assure safe use you are fine. They do burn and they are risky, but the logic here is to avoid because of impending doom. I don't feel that the event here is making that point. I still reload all my own amunition, and some make errors in that process and end up killing themselves. If you chose to use or not cool,I can support that. But to assume that they are dangerous not so much, only if you didnt know the risk.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Anything can be dangerous if not used properly, there are a host of things that 'could' fail around you everyday and cause large bits of destruction, but just because they can doesn't mean they all will.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Nov 25, 2011, 03:27 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
glad no one got hurt
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:50 PM
AMA 105167
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
Hold on Dawg, I think the use of Li-Po's are very safe. If you are aware of the risk and take steps to assure safe use you are fine. They do burn and they are risky, but the logic here is to avoid because of impending doom. I don't feel that the event here is making that point. I still reload all my own amunition, and some make errors in that process and end up killing themselves. If you chose to use or not cool,I can support that. But to assume that they are dangerous not so much, only if you didnt know the risk.
The "RISK" isn't worth it (for me) and may not happen all the time (fact remains it still happens more than I like) ... and it only takes once ...

not with my luck!

There are other alternatives to LiPo ...
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:13 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
That's cool. For me Li-po's are fine it is a risk for me esey to mange. Thanks for your insight.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:02 PM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
There are other alternatives to LiPo ...
Big cans of flammable liquid...? :P
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:28 PM
AMA 105167
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
That's cool. For me Li-po's are fine it is a risk for me esey to mange. Thanks for your insight.
I wasn't trying to be a a-hole about it ... I just have witnessed one of my dad's go into meltdown ... now granted ... it may not have been a bad LiPo ... will never know ... end result was the LiPo went up in smoke .... not to mention the smell ...

And any battery that suggests having a "Special" LiPo Fire Safe bag ...

I am sure that the percentage is probably small ... but there are other choices that remain less risky ...

You can call me paranoid, but if it happens to one of your favorite planes ...

I hate seeing anybody's plane going up in flames due to a battery that is known to flame out ...

I'm sure many have not had no trouble ...