Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:10 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Build Log
rc microlight /ultralight

Hi guys,
ive been making a rc microlight for the past 3 years (on and off)
finally got it finished enough to test it again the other day and was quite pleased with how its coming on

one of the videos below is of my old wing and nitro trike which is abit embarrassing to look at now lol,
im very suprised it even took off to be honest.

after seing that it took off i decided to make a proper wing with the 'A' frame, kingpost and flying wires to get more lift,less drag and more stability, also changed from nitro to brushless/lipo,
finally feel like im getting there now even if it has taken a fair time to get there

the newer video was meant to just be a taxi test but i tried a few small hops to see what would happen, the bar was tied to the front strut though because there was no servos fitted for the wing at that time.. this angle of attack made it stall as soon as it left the floor though.

my last few tests (that i unfortunately didnt get on camera) were alot more positive, since ive now fitted the wing servos and found a nice smooth, long carpark to practice on it can lift off and check things like steering response etc alot easier,

seems to steer quite nice at the moment.. a little slow but with only weight shift i was expecting this and is what i want in a way to make it realistic in the air, just have to plan ahead abit lol
one of the mods ive done is change the keel sleeve from carbon to alloy so it doesnt twist and take out some steering authority.

hoping to get it back in the air this weekend as ive done a few mods to loose abit of weight and moved a few things around so we'll see how that goes,
fingers crossed for some nice still weather

ill post some pictures later which should explain bits better than i can.

cheers,mark

old microlight test (4 min 49 sec)

RC microlight (0 min 47 sec)
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:50 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
IT FLIES!!!

was abit windy so was getting blown about abit but handled it better than i thought it would,
wouldnt take off on the grass as the wheels are too small so had to go off a short path at the side of the field lol

dont think many people are interested here but heres the video anyway

radio controlled microlight / ultralight maiden flight! (1 min 49 sec)
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:15 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
590 Posts
Very nice! I have an old Robbe Skyflex, very similar layout but a bit bigger and much slower-responding. The Skyflex only has right-left weight-shifting and throttle, no direct pitch control. Never really figured out a graceful way to land it: if you try to flatten the glide or flare with throttle, it dips first and takes a while to accelerate, which is counterproductive. I usually do "Navy carrier" landings, just fly it into the ground at a slight down angle. Looks like you flared to land in the video, do you have pitch control?

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:12 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,840 Posts
A bit different than the normal here Mark - she looks great! Will she fly any slower on a calm day?

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:50 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
thanks guys
yeah has full pitch control, need to do a few tweeks to where the A frame sits when at trim speed as its right back to the pilots chest at the moment but thats no big deal,
it flew nice and slow into the wind but as soon as i turned down wind it flew very fast! lol,
hopefully will fly abit slower and smoother in calmer weather but if not ive got alot of places to trim weight off the trike so can bring the wingloading down abit which will hopefully do the trick.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 09:57 PM
Close enough
United States, NM, Los Alamos
Joined Jun 2008
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNEEBOY View Post
Hi guys,
ive been making a rc microlight for the past 3 years (on and off)
finally got it finished enough to test it again the other day and was quite pleased with how its coming on

Mark,
Neat project. And congrats on the successful flight. As a former full size ultralight (though not weight shift) owner, I've been inspired by your model.

Though I must say, after following the history of your project, that you deserve extra credit points for perseverance!

Marc
(former Team Airbike owner)
AtomicFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Old Dec 04, 2011, 05:08 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
LOL! yeah i cant be accused of being a quitter! haha

Ive always loved microlights since my dad started flying them when i was 8 (30 now) and remember really wanting a rc version but never thought id have one.
hoping to go for my license soon too

im going to be drawing up plans when im happy with how its flying so other people can make them too,
this ones only rough at the moment just for testing so when i strip it down ill get the measurements etc and post them up
Old Dec 04, 2011, 05:23 AM
The Netherlands, NB, Hapert
Joined Apr 2002
1,284 Posts
Great !

Thats a really nice idea/design project...well done indeed !!!

Ray
Warbird@home is offline Find More Posts by Warbird@home
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:23 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
thanks ray,
hopefully have some nice, calmish weather soon so i can do some more testing
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:47 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,054 Posts
Quite interesting, looks like a scale ultralite.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:52 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
thanks, hoping to make it as realistic as possible

ill make another and add some scale details when im confident its not going to crash
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:13 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
done a few mods to this and hoping to test it again soon,
looking at the winds for the weekend its not looking too promising though

moved the Aframe forward slightly, lightened and simplified the trike abit and added a fin by each back wheel for more yaw stability.

started to draw up the plans aswell
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:13 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
got out early this morning and there was no wind whatsoever but was pretty cold so had to dress up warm

the microlight flew lovely, so smooth and responsive.. who said weight shift models cant be responsive?
gives you so much confidence that its going to do what you tell it to and takes a suprisingly small imput to get it to turn as you can see in the video,
its a lovely relaxing flyer although flies abit quicker with the gopro fitted

the lack of wind gave me a chance to test it properly and see how it behaves,
one thing i noticed is that when you put it into a bank it will keep that bank angle until you steer out of it or turn it tighter, it just go round in circles if you leave it lol
it doesnt like landing on the grass with the small front wheel, i hit a bump on the video so crashed but you have to slow it down alot for it to not tip over on grass (ie into wind)
resorted to catching it in the end just to save damage,
also it will cruise at half throttle and stay at the same height so thats not too bad,

did a few motor off glides which im quite happy with, feel like youd be able to get it down if anything happened to the motor or esc

could do with a better climb rate tho so im going to have a look at a more powerful motor for it

fitted the go-pro hd in the backseat and did a flight and then put it on the pilots lap for the next one,
hoping to do some more angles tomorrow if the weather allows!

hope you enjoy

radio controlled microlight onboard (4 min 19 sec)
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:28 PM
Close enough
United States, NM, Los Alamos
Joined Jun 2008
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNEEBOY View Post
got out early this morning and there was no wind whatsoever but was pretty cold so had to dress up warm
Awesome! I particularly liked the view from the back seat. I've spent quite a bit of time at ultralight fly-ins, and yours looks very scale in the air. My favorite part is right at the end where the "pilot" pushes the bar forward to flare for landing.

Marc
AtomicFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Closed Thread