HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:20 PM
Pelagicide
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
465 Posts
Discussion
Hitec Minima 6 not binding w/ Optic 6

I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions correctly, but I just can't seem to get the TX to bind to the new Minima Rx I just bought .... definitely harder to do than binding a Dx6i and a new Rx ... no problems there (well, if you don't count the Orange rx's that seemingly die ... they were working just fine the other day, now I can't even get one to enter the bind mode. I know I'm asking 2 different questions about 2 different systems, but didn't want to open 2 threads.
Can I kill a Orange Rx by accidently reversing the polarity ?
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:10 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions correctly, but I just can't seem to get the TX to bind to the new Minima Rx I just bought .... definitely harder to do than binding a Dx6i and a new Rx ... no problems there (well, if you don't count the Orange rx's that seemingly die ... they were working just fine the other day, now I can't even get one to enter the bind mode. I know I'm asking 2 different questions about 2 different systems, but didn't want to open 2 threads.
Can I kill a Orange Rx by accidently reversing the polarity ?
1. Are you are using to two different types of modules in one TX or two different brands of TX? This as a Hitec Minima receiver can never be bound to any module which can operate with an Orange RX.
Hitec Minima ID-Setup can only be fixed with a Hitec AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module (removable or fixed as Optic 6 Sport) which has version 3.01 or later firmware installed - refer to:
. Optc 6 Sport ID Setup with Minima RX - fixed module similar procedure to Optic 6 removable module.
. Hitec Optic 6 & Optic Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, FAQ & Comparison Charts
. AFHSS - ID_Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Test Procedure

2. Orange RX - it is possible.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:42 PM
Pelagicide
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
465 Posts
Yes - I should have said that in the first post - It is a Hitec Optic 6, spectra 2.4 w/ AFHSS, so, in theory, it SHOULD bind, right? When I press the bind button on the TX and power it up, a red fast blinking light is on on the tx module. Now, I'm going to try the same with the rx and now the rx just shows a solid red light; the optic 6 module is still a red fast light.

Any sugestions?
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:13 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash View Post
Yes - I should have said that in the first post - It is a Hitec Optic 6, spectra 2.4 w/ AFHSS, so, in theory, it SHOULD bind, right? When I press the bind button on the TX and power it up, a red fast blinking light is on on the tx module. Now, I'm going to try the same with the rx and now the rx just shows a solid red light; the optic 6 module is still a red fast light.

Any sugestions?
Please read the full information made available in the links provided post #2.
The Spectra module will not produce the required LED sequence nor setup an ID link
with any Minima 6ch receiver unless the module is updated to v3.01 or later.
e.g.
"Optima Receivers - Light Weight. Optima_6 LITE Transceiver, Minima 6E & 6T Micro Receivers...
Minima are compatible only with Spectra Module V3.01 or higher. "
Procedure to update module also provided in previous post.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

(No Optic 6 nor Spectra 2.4Ghz Module manufactured prior to April 2011 will have V3.01 firmware in the module)

Alan T.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:10 PM
sailplane nut
Herminie, PA 15637
Joined Apr 2007
213 Posts
Hello at from RCbobcat55. I recently purchased some minima 6 rxs to use with my Optic 6 and also found them to be incompatible AFTER the hobby shop sold them to me. No one told me they were different so I sold them for the same price I paid for them. Since you seem to know what you are talking about-how do I get my module updated so it will work with the new receivers? Thanks for answering such a seemingly stupid question. RCbobcat55
rcbobcat55 is online now Find More Posts by rcbobcat55
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:08 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbobcat55 View Post
Hello at from RCbobcat55. I recently purchased some minima 6 rxs to use with my Optic 6 and also found them to be incompatible AFTER the hobby shop sold them to me. No one told me they were different so I sold them for the same price I paid for them. Since you seem to know what you are talking about-how do I get my module updated so it will work with the new receivers? Thanks for answering such a seemingly stupid question. RCbobcat55
On the relative Hitec Minima homepage and almost every retail advert seen,
it is clearly stated that the Minima are compatible only with modules updated to V3.01 firmware or later.
There is even a special offer for those within USA to purchase an HPP-22 for only US$9.99,
subject to the terms shown on that page.

Please read the information in the links provided posts #2 & #4,
especially the Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
"AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry - FAQ & Undocumented Features".

The Spectra module (removeable or fixed) requires the use of an HPP-22 interface
when amending firmware to Version 3.01 or later, .
Our LHS provides a free update service for any items purchased there.
Owning your own HPP-22 provides many advantages, amongst which are:
. Set Low Battery Warning levels.
. Set failsafe
. Update/amend firmware in Spectra modules and Optima transceivers
. Update/amend firmware in recent Hitec Transmitters as well as transfer data to/from PC/Laptop
more under
Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use (with screenshots).

Alan T.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:42 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2001
568 Posts
Yes, you need to upgrade the tx module to v3.01 to bind the minima rx by using the hpp22 interface. You also need to get a usb cable for the hpp22. Just log in to the hitec site and download the upgrade. Very easy to do actually.
Gerry Santos is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Santos
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:24 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,150 Posts
Yup i've had the hpp-22 for a while but never used it as i was happy with how the radio works,just got two minima's and had the same problem as you guys so i upgraded the radio first to v1.08 and then the module to the latest V available.Reading the instructions were no way as good as the videos from the bloke on helifreak,it was a breeze done in 15mins using W Vista.I do use it on rare ocasions in very crowded enviorments so i was dissapointed to have lost full scan mode,will it be as robust without it now???
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Yup i've had the hpp-22 for a while but never used it as i was happy with how the radio works,just got two minima's and had the same problem as you guys so i upgraded the radio first to v1.08 and then the module to the latest V available.Reading the instructions were no way as good as the videos from the bloke on helifreak,it was a breeze done in 15mins using W Vista.I do use it on rare ocasions in very crowded enviorments so i was dissapointed to have lost full scan mode,will it be as robust without it now???
Yes. Scan "mode" was rarely used, not even at the big flying events, as it meant each and every time user changed models with a different transceiver, they had to redo the ID-setup and there was a worse recovery situation in event of brownout. System has been significantly improved with the change to "Scan Function", refer attached extract from Module V3.01 manual.

Much more information available under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers & Telemetry - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Last edited by A.T.; Dec 18, 2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Highlight "note" on jpg.