HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:19 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Question
Fancy Foam Blender or Techone Aeolus?

Input would be appreciated from any F3P guyz familiar with either or both of these aircraft...

Last season I discovered that 2 cell F3P ships (moreso than lighter/smaller/twitchier UM size planes) are perfect for outdoor slow and relaxing pattern practice when I wish to fly out of my tiny and tight front yard cul-de-sac. (wind permitting of course) Approaches are extremely limited due to condo heights ringing the cul....I have a Dualsky Breeze Pro that I enjoy doing pattern moves with, high up above the "ground clutter"...then it slows down to the speed of a Vapor once I bring it back into the cul'...love that feature. (airbrakes and 1 set of SFGs' installed)

I've gotten hooked on bipes lately...had a 4Site that I simply flew to airframe fatigue (mostly indoors)...I've got a UMX Beast which I enjoy, but it's just a tiny bit too hot and long on approach to fly out of and into my cul-de-sac. Also have a HK Ultimate EPS profile foamy, it's fun, but flies like..well..an EPS or EPP ship...not quite as precise as Depron...so next build is logically a Depron bipe that would perform similar to my Breeze...

I like scale-ish asphalt landings and dislike hand-catches btw.

I feel that a heavier un-milled ship is better for the variable weather of outdoor work, which the Blender is available as. The Aeolus is milled and has more bracing, which I feel might work against it for o/d work. Plus I think the wide cabane strut bracing on the Aeolus is kinda ugly lol...

...on the other hand, I'd have to get creative rigging up a tailwheel/skid setup on the Blender, with it's odd "dropped" tailfin/rudder setup...but I like the removable airbrake feature, neat SFGs' and overall unique looks/design of the Blender.

I know both these designs are several years old...I'm just looking for a nice flying knock-around pattern practice bipe for the front cul...winter build, spring maiden (most likely)

So...thoughts on comparitive flying traits, quality, suitability etc.? I'm really on the fence with this decision, any input is appreciated.

my planned gear:

Turnigy 2204 14T outrunner
Turnigy Plush 10A ESC
various batts (all 2S): Rhino 360s', Nano 370s', GENS Ace 450s' (<for wind ballast lol)
GWS 8 X 4.3 slo-fly
HXT-500s' all 'round

Blender (unmilled, unpainted):
http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...2vqgvrf71fpor2

Aeolus:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZBN2&P=ML

Thanks!

Bud, long-winded Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Last edited by maukabud; Nov 24, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:11 AM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
884 Posts
Just my two cents. I recently flew a FlapJack from Extreme Foamies. I was very impressed with that plane. Absolutely zero coupling. Great plane for mixed 3d pattern flying. John the owner/ designed went through 12 revisions to get it to fly as well as it does. Great plane. http://www.FreeWebStore.org/XtremeFo...10_599770.aspx
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:23 PM
morris alabama
Joined Feb 2001
367 Posts
Go with the aeolus. Great flyer. Use 4gram servos and about a 300 motor. Should be a great flyer with 2 cells. I fly outdoors with mine on 3 cells but 2 cells will do the job.
tigermoth is offline Find More Posts by tigermoth
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:51 PM
Fly it like you stole it
Joined Feb 2007
172 Posts
I have both .... Aeolus has a very thin tail section and elevator and rudder are not really 3D capable, You need to brace the tail section to make it stiffer. It flies okay for what it is

The Blender rolls like wildcat and is a much higher quality kit. And it flies very well

The Turnigy motor will work , but wouldn't be my personal choice, as far as batteries, the 360 mAh's will work fine
SUPERGONZO is offline Find More Posts by SUPERGONZO
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:15 PM
morris alabama
Joined Feb 2001
367 Posts
Check You Tube for the Aeolus in action.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:10 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974 View Post
Just my two cents. I recently flew a FlapJack from Extreme Foamies. I was very impressed with that plane. Absolutely zero coupling. Great plane for mixed 3d pattern flying. John the owner/ designed went through 12 revisions to get it to fly as well as it does. Great plane. http://www.FreeWebStore.org/XtremeFo...10_599770.aspx
That's a gorgeous looking machine and I bet it flies awesome indoors...can't justify it for an o/d "knockaround" machine though...wouldn't want to hurt it, it's far to pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
Go with the aeolus. Great flyer. Use 4gram servos and about a 300 motor. Should be a great flyer with 2 cells. I fly outdoors with mine on 3 cells but 2 cells will do the job.
Thanks...just when I was leaning the other way...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGONZO View Post
I have both .... Aeolus has a very thin tail section and elevator and rudder are not really 3D capable, You need to brace the tail section to make it stiffer. It flies okay for what it is

The Blender rolls like wildcat and is a much higher quality kit. And it flies very well

The Turnigy motor will work , but wouldn't be my personal choice, as far as batteries, the 360 mAh's will work fine

Ah, yes...the perfect person...a veteran that's flown/owned both. That might be the clincher then...thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
Check You Tube for the Aeolus in action.
Oh yes...I"ve been checking both out.

Thanks all for the input...
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:13 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
Don't worry about the tail on the blender. If anything you can put a little tape on the bottom to protect it.
Mike
Fancyfoam
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:43 PM
Mr. Foam, Tape, and Carbon
Joined Feb 2011
293 Posts
I agree with the guy that mentioned the FlapJack from John. I know him, he is a great guy and works hard to make his kits and sell them. I have flown the Flapjack myself. It is very impressive when you can put a plane at any attitude around the roll axis and watch it fly straighter than straight. No rudder in a knife edge and excellent, easy going handling, it is a fantastic airplane.
I'd get that without a second thought considering the other two choices.

Chris~
RCvehicleGuy is online now Find More Posts by RCvehicleGuy
Old Dec 01, 2011, 07:50 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,749 Posts
I have had both techone and fancy foam kits

I am wholeheartedly of the belief that the FF is of a much higher quality, and capable of a wider flight envelope
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:24 PM
United States, TX, North Richland Hills
Joined Dec 2011
48 Posts
I always thought the Aeolus was a good flying airplane. I have seen videos of it but I do not have one. The price is good but I don't know if it is made out of the same kind if foam like all the other competition airplanes.
F3Pflyer is offline Find More Posts by F3Pflyer
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:11 PM
morris alabama
Joined Feb 2001
367 Posts
Aeolus is milled depron.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
48 Posts
Oh. Ok. I thought it was cheap EPO foam.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
48 Posts
Also, would the Spektrum DX5e radio be a good radio for it? Or would I need a better radio?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:36 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,749 Posts
Personally, when dealing with precision aerobatic airplanes, I think there is much benefit to having a computer radio; even a simple one like the Dx6i would do. It is very helpful to have dual rates and exponential.

I used to never use my d/r and would keep everything at 100%+ throws all the time. Learning how to use my rates and switches has really cleaned up my flying; especially when doing slooooooow rolls.

You could surely get a capable radio on the cheap
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
48 Posts
Thanks. The DX6i sounds like what I need then.