SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Discussion
Ordering a new radio setup, 9x + frsky telemetry, am I missing anything?

I'm getting ready to upgrade my radio setup. I have spent many hours reading misc threads about this, but just making sure I'm not missing anything, or won't have any suprises.

Here is the plan.

1. Buy turnigy 9x radio from hobbyking

2. Order the frsky JR module with telemetry.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...le_RX_V2_.html

3. Flash with ER9X firmware. I plan to use a USBASP programmer, which I have already ordered for a different project (flashing kk multicopter board). This should work fine if I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong.

4. For the stock turnigy module that comes with the transmitter, I plan do a simple mod to relocate the antenna onto the module itself, that way swapping back and forth between the turnigy 9x for certain aircraft, and the frsky module will be as simple as swapping modules.

The goal is to have the turnigy 9x working with frsky including the telemetry data appearing on the turnigy 9x's own screen, while also being able to easily swap back to the turnigy module for certain aircraft that will use the turnigy rx's. Do I have all bases covered, or are there any other little parts, mods, improvements to my plan, etc that I am missing?

Thanks.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,363 Posts
Not a good idea to swap modules frequently. The connectors are not up to a lot of wear and tear.

Better to commit the 9X to FrSky use and get another strictly for FlySky use.

Or better still, just forget the FlySky and use FrSky for everything. The non-telemetry receivers are only $14-$19.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:53 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,743 Posts
1. I would buy the original FlySky 9x from leaderhobby, fitted with the original module not hardlinked to the body by that stupid appendix as tgy 9x.
2. I wouldn't wait for HK for module, I don't expect them to restock too soon, if ever.

For the rest, sell the original Flysky module / receiver, they are no more useful for you.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:51 AM
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Jun 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
I'm getting ready to upgrade my radio setup. I have spent many hours reading misc threads about this, but just making sure I'm not missing anything, or won't have any suprises.

Here is the plan.

1. Buy turnigy 9x radio from hobbyking

2. Order the frsky JR module with telemetry.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...le_RX_V2_.html

3. Flash with ER9X firmware. I plan to use a USBASP programmer, which I have already ordered for a different project (flashing kk multicopter board). This should work fine if I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong.

4. For the stock turnigy module that comes with the transmitter, I plan do a simple mod to relocate the antenna onto the module itself, that way swapping back and forth between the turnigy 9x for certain aircraft, and the frsky module will be as simple as swapping modules.

The goal is to have the turnigy 9x working with frsky including the telemetry data appearing on the turnigy 9x's own screen, while also being able to easily swap back to the turnigy module for certain aircraft that will use the turnigy rx's. Do I have all bases covered, or are there any other little parts, mods, improvements to my plan, etc that I am missing?

Thanks.
Unless something has changed in the connections, I believe you will need a RS232 to TTL converter. Also a few resistors(sorry the values escape me at the moment) and some way to get the signal from the module to the connections in the radio.
Here's the converter I used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MAX232-R...ht_1977wt_1029

I also used a DIY module, so mine is already internal, but there are a couple of writeups on what to do. One has a servo plug sticking out of the radio to plug into the module. The other shows how he isolated the unused pins on the module connector to send the signal through them.

Experts correct me if I'm wrong please.
Kalikikopa is offline Find More Posts by Kalikikopa
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:59 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,743 Posts
You can connect the module directly to 9x internally without converter, if enough skilled to do some micro surgery inside the Frsky module.
This solution is also optimal because there is no more need for wires between module and radio body, using two of the five module connector pins.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:18 AM
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Jun 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
You can connect the module directly to 9x internally without converter, if enough skilled to do some micro surgery inside the Frsky module.
This solution is also optimal because there is no more need for wires between module and radio body, using two of the five module connector pins.
That is good to know. Thanks.
Kalikikopa is offline Find More Posts by Kalikikopa
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:22 AM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
What part of the process is that RS232 to TTL converter used for?

Leadershobby is also sold out right now as well, but I would potentially consider them if it would make things easier.

Actually the main reason I want to keep the original turnigy 9x compatability is I'm getting a GW Xeida 9958 for indoor winter flying that binds with the turnigy, (and it would be nice to use that spare 9x rx for something as well) otherwise I would just simply commit to frsky all the way. Considered buying two Turnigys, but spending around $65 shipped for a second radio to only be used for a micro heli is too much.

Which is why I was hoping for an easy swap method, or some other method to allow use of both, without a ton of soldering, or other complexity, and still have reliability (since I do plan to use this for FPV soon). Daedalus mentioned the connectors not being up for too much wear and tear, but how much is considered a lot? I probably only would make a few swaps a year, and within a few years I'm sure there will be a new better radio to replace this one, so it really won't see that many swaps over its lifetime.

Also, I just found out how much extra soldering is involved in getting the telemetry data on the 9x screen, so I think I'll skip that, and use a second telemetry screen. I can do complex soldering if needed, but like to avoid it. I think the soldering for updating the firmware will be enough for me.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:35 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,743 Posts
Their soldout status at leaderhobby is virtual, they are in permanent soldout so to speak, meaning they permanently are shipping radios for a queue that never ends.
Place your order and I think will be shipped in less than a week, at least so was for me one month ago, and this soldout status is the same since summer

The original 9X receiver is huge, don't plan to use it for indoor, it could weigh as the plane alone. Frsky has 3 grams micro receivers for this purpose.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:53 PM
Not an avatar... I'm not Hindu
Joined Oct 2007
65 Posts
Deleted - I was mistaken about the ER9X firmware. I mistakenly thought the HK 9X ver. 2 contained the ER9X.
Gordonq is offline Find More Posts by Gordonq
Last edited by Gordonq; Nov 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: I was mistaken