SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:00 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Well slowly moving along. Setup the elevator control system this evening. What a pain that is to get all lined up. Looks like I have it though. May have to try and tighten it a bit. Its taut but not sure how tight to actually make the lines. I just used the string that came with the kit. Is there a better option for the lines. I was thinking maybe fishing line.
If you're talking about pull-pull, I use fishing string. A lot of people use Kevlar thread.

Free
Free is online now Find More Posts by Free
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:03 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Ok so I do need a motor. Got the plane almost complete. Just missing the aileron speed brakes and with the current motor it' won't even hold a hover at full throttle. So either my building is a bit heavy (haven't weighed) or the motor just isn't enough oomph period. So choices I'm seeing on a quick look are

http://www.2dogrc.com/dualsky-xmotor...r-63w-466.html

http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Brushless-A10-15S.aspx

Of those 2 which would you choose? Going to order one or the other tomorrow.
Depends on your AUW, for a plane that is under 130 grams RTF, I would go with the A10-15s, and run a 8x4.3(I have one and LOVE it), as for the 17t I have no experience, but it looks good.

Free
Free is online now Find More Posts by Free
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:13 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Thanks free for the info.

And yeah it's a pull pull setup. How tight should I be trying to make it?
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:09 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
Out of those two I would get the Dualsky since it can turn a bigger prop (lower kv).

However, I feel there must be something odd in you setup. The smaller Dualsky should be able to pull the plane vertically. Have you checked these:
- ESC throttle range setting (what ESC?)
- battery condition (fully charged, not too old)
- propeller mounting and balance

Do you have means to measure current, voltage and rpm? That would be a great help in troubleshooting.

IMO, that motor should be able to turn the 7 x 3.5 GWS at some 8800 rpm or more if the battery voltage is 7.4V. That would give some 175 g of thrust and your plane cannot even be close to that. Current draw should be around 4 A at that point, maybe a bit more.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:37 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah Finn I'm confused as well on it. The esc is a dualsky 6a.
http://www.dualsky.com/pro_list_for....nid=127&id=288. I'll have to snag a meter and bring it home today from work to measure current draw. I figured it wouldn't be blazing performance but should have been enough to at least hold the plane up. Lol.
Pretty sure I plugged in the fully charged battery I'll have to double check that.

I think I am going to order the other dualsky since it comes out $20 cheaper once I factor in shipping and the like. I'll fiddle around with the one I have maybe I have something goofy.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:31 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
The Hacker A10-15S has a great reputation in the F3P competition scene, is a very dependable and powerful motor. I even use them on many of my lighter freestyle planes.

They weigh about 14g, and can be taped on with the provided mounts, which saves a few more grams.

Mine have taken a beating, and keep on going. They will cost about $6 more, but are well worth the extra cost.

Here is where I get mine,: http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Brushless-A10-15S.aspx

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:40 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Well she's all ready for a maiden. Will give it a shot later.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:35 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Well maiden plus a couple flights in tonight. Still working on cg placement. May actuallybtry a slightly heavier battery because it seems I need a bit more nose weight. Flied the beat it seemed with my 240mah hyperions right up against the firewall. I have some 2s 450s that are a bit heavier that i may try and it might balance better. Flies level at about half throttle really nicely (trimmed in some up elevqtor though) and inverted with a bit more down elevator than i would expect. Roll to KE and it wants to pull around towards the canopy. Doesn't roll out of KE which is nice. And it does make it easy to fly KE in a circle. Hahaha. Need to get that sorted out.

How tight do I want to try and make my pull pulls on the elevator and rudder?

Definetly a different kind of feel flying this compared to what I am used to. Different in a good way. Once I can get it trimmed and balanced exactly the way I want it then it'll be very enjoyable to fly. Just need to get used to it not really floating at all but flying exactly where I point it. It is very precise.

Almost destroyed it on the third flight. Was a bit scary. Was inverted and elevator glitches or something because it was headed for the ground. Lol. Luckily rolled quick enough and pulled out enough to justpop the prop off and have a little scrape under the nose. Nothing really broke. Lol.

So if anyone has any trimming tips or balancing tips for dialing in a F3p plane that would be awesome. Can't wait to run a few more packs thru it tomorrow.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:13 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
Most local guys prefer an F3P plane that needs some elevator to fly level, right side up and inverted. If you had to push more than expected when inverted, you might want to dial the CG back a bit. This is also a personal preference of course and the plane is not super sensitive to CG placement so you can experiment.

Which motor did you end up running? Did you find the reason for missing thrust?

The pull-pulls are somewhat tricky with depron since the airframe expands under warm conditions and shrinks if it is cool. That's why we here make the pull-pull strings easily adjustable. I'm using a system with adjustment screws in the servo horns. Works extremely well and does not change trims. I can put up some pictures later if needed. Basically they don't have to be super tight but when the surface is centered, there should be no slop.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:33 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Cool I just have the lines not real tight but not slopping around. So I think I'm good there.

I did not find the reason for the missing thrust. Ordered the larger dualsky and it does the job perfectly. So that I am happy with.

I'll move the cg back some later and give that a try. When I was balancing it seemed to be pretty tail heavy when I moved it back at the recommended cg. I'm no expert so maybe it was just me. Hahaha.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:36 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Still working on it but a video nonetheless

RT Sirius Eleven (2 min 34 sec)
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
rgj
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
Well mine is ready to install equpiment , weight so fare is 47 gr, this is without the canaliser and the smal pieces taht are going over the servoes.
Those I glue in when model is ready 47 gr will with the smal Dualsky and a 180mAh lipo get it just over 105 gr I hope...so now the snow can start falling so we can get inside the gyms
rgj is offline Find More Posts by rgj
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:57 PM View Post
VickyXiao85
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. Show it to me anyway.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:04 PM
derbyshire
Joined Dec 2005
69 Posts
currents?

Hi guys does anyone know the current draw of the combo setup and will the red bec do or does it need to be micro deans?
Thanks
Mark
markcanon is offline Find More Posts by markcanon
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:16 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,154 Posts
Hi,

Some photos of my RT Sirius Eleven.
Tiger Motor AT2204 (19 gram) on adjustable motormount, GWS 8040 prop (for the moment), aileron servo Hitec HS-5045HB (8,5 gram), elevator and rudder servos Hitec HS-5035HD (4.5 gram each), Futaba R6004FF receiver (~3 gram), DesirePower V8 300 mAh 35C 2S LiPo (~15 gram inkl cable and connector).

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee