HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:35 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,937 Posts
i would personally shell out a lot more for the servo's. The difference is remarkable and makes the models so much nicer and easier to fly.
There are plenty of discussions on servo's but the favourites are
Hitecs HS35 /5035 Dymond D4.7 JR188 or Futaba S3114
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:13 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
I'm with Andy here. While the 3.7 g Dualsky servos might work OK as tail servos, the torque may not be enough for good aileron control. I have S3114 in ailerons and 2 x HS35 for tail surfaces.

The new Hitecs seem to be very good for this sort of use and if I were building another Sirius Eleven, I'd put them on ailerons as well. The heavier Futaba is a slight overkill for F3P pattern type flying.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:33 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Cool excellent. Was thinking they might be a bit on the weak side. But had them laying around so figured it was good to ask. Looks like I'll be snagging some servos later on today.

Was thinking of assembling using the Beacon Foam Tac glue. Good choice? Or is there a better option. New to the Depron world. Lol. Have a handful of EPP but the welders I use on the EPP planes will melt the Depron. Tried it on a piece of scrap last night just to see. U
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:08 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
I checked the description of Beacon Foam Tac and it sounds like a good option for building depron planes. In Europe the most popular choice nowadays is Beli-Zell which forms a flexible, strong and light joint. It foams and expands while drying but is lighter than Sumo glue for example.

Cyanoacrylate is only used for quick field repairs and some special cases like landing gear and pushrods if you need to attach piano wire with shrink tubing.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:18 AM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Normal medium foam-safe CA works GREAT for me!

Free
Free is online now Find More Posts by Free
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:13 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Well got the foam tac glue in today and started assembly on this thing. Got the bottom fuse on, ailerons hinged, elevator hinged and carbon bracing up one side of the underside of the fuse. Looks like I have everything pretty straight so far. Just letting things dry up pretty good and tomorrow will brace the other side up. Trying not to rush this build because it could get crooked quickly.

Never worked with depron before and have only built EPP foamies before this one. And yeah my first real f3p plane. Lol. Have an EPP f3p. The dualsky mini breeze but it was the first plane I ever built and it came out a bit crooked and never flew that well.

This is a pretty plane and can't wait to get it built up. Did pick up a futaba s3114 for the ailerons at the LHS but did not pull the trigger on the hitecs for the tail surfaces. Going to use what I have for now on those. With how the rudder and elevator servos get mounted I can always change them out fairly easy later. Not looking for competition performance at the moment so I feel I can get away without the hitecs. Hehe. I'll probably change my mind though before I get to that point. Hahaha.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:09 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
Sounds good to me. Let us know how the small Dualsky servos work in the plane when you get to fly it.

It is a good idea to use books, CD boxes etc. as weights when building the bracing. Put the whole plane to a flat surface and pin down with the weights. You can use them to make sure the fuse is exactly in 90' angle to the horizontal part. If you do it like this, you can glue all the bracing in one go.

Note also the wing bracing that has a small mistake (IMO) in the instructions. Check my picture above in the thread.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:43 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Thanks Finn yeah I saw the photo from before. And yep was weighting everything down as I was gluing last night. Only got 1 side done as it was getting late and I didn't want to rush it. I wanted to do it all but thought better of it. Had I done that I woulda overlooked something and it would be crooked and I'd be kicking myself. Haha.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:16 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Ok got the rest of the bracing on and I am starting the gear install. Aileron servo in rudder servo in and pull pull setup on the rudder although I think it needs some tweaking and tightening. First time I've set up a pull pull so it's a learning experience. Got it hooked up and it works as expected.

I think I am going to have to order another motor. It's looking like the one I have just isn't going to cut it. Was hoping to be light enough to use the one I have but it was questionable even before I started building. Thoughts on a cheapish motor option. I should just get the hacker motor but I don't necessarily need top of the line performance.
This is what I have. And like I said I was questioning it before I started building.
http://www.2dogrc.com/dualsky-xmotor...r-42w-465.html
Last edited by Aaeolien; Aug 07, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:37 AM
rgj
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
I have also one Sirius coming and are going to use this engine http://www.2dogrc.com/dualsky-xmotor...lt-in-645.html several was using this last year here i Norway and its light powerful and a easy to set up....plug and play.
My plane a F3P model off own design ended up at 106gr while using 180mah Hyperion had plenty off power.
rgj is offline Find More Posts by rgj
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:30 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Thanks for the info rgj. I think I'll stick it on there and see how it feels. If it just doesn't have enough oomph I can change it out.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:45 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
The Dualsky motor should be excellent for pattern flying if you can keep the AUW under 120 g. Mine is just a tad over 110 g and I have a heavier motor + esc combo at the moment.

I have the RTR version also waiting for an airframe. I might build something from scratch or order another kit, I don't know yet (I might even put the Dualsky in my Sirius Eleven). I will run some tests with different props soon. The only problem with this motor is the high KV which forces you to use smallish propellers. From cheap plastic ones pretty much the only option is GWS 7 x 3.5. I will compare that one and the Glavak SG 9 x 2.0 (slim) and maybe the 9 x 2.3 if current stays within reasonable limits.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:05 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Awesome Finn even better to hear. Would be interested in the 9inch prop tests. Hehe. I have some 7x3.5 here which is what I was using on the motor on the other plane.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:35 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Well slowly moving along. Setup the elevator control system this evening. What a pain that is to get all lined up. Looks like I have it though. May have to try and tighten it a bit. Its taut but not sure how tight to actually make the lines. I just used the string that came with the kit. Is there a better option for the lines. I was thinking maybe fishing line.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:26 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Ok so I do need a motor. Got the plane almost complete. Just missing the aileron speed brakes and with the current motor it' won't even hold a hover at full throttle. So either my building is a bit heavy (haven't weighed) or the motor just isn't enough oomph period. So choices I'm seeing on a quick look are

http://www.2dogrc.com/dualsky-xmotor...r-63w-466.html

http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Brushless-A10-15S.aspx

Of those 2 which would you choose? Going to order one or the other tomorrow.