SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:18 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Build Log
Flyline Megowcoupe Build

Well, many years after building and flying my Megowcoupe, I layed out the plans and started building one again. I remember how much I loved flying this model - it looks great in the air and it flew beautifully - with a baby bee and standard radio gear too!
Here is the progress so far and I can't wait to have in in the air once again. The first pic is the remains that have stayed with me over the years - It was in storage for so long, too many holes in the tissue, fuel soaked - all I was really keeping were the wheels which I'll use again and have managed to find a matching tail wheel.
I'm glad I'm building it again from scratch, the fuselarge is taking shape and I've started working on the nose block. Will keep you posted
mrcosmo is offline Find More Posts by mrcosmo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:06 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
593 Posts
Very Nice Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcosmo View Post
Well, many years after building and flying my Megowcoupe, I layed out the plans and started building one again. I remember how much I loved flying this model - it looks great in the air and it flew beautifully - with a baby bee and standard radio gear too!
Here is the progress so far and I can't wait to have in in the air once again. The first pic is the remains that have stayed with me over the years - It was in storage for so long, too many holes in the tissue, fuel soaked - all I was really keeping were the wheels which I'll use again and have managed to find a matching tail wheel.
I'm glad I'm building it again from scratch, the fuselarge is taking shape and I've started working on the nose block. Will keep you posted
Hi mrcosmo:

Very nice work on the Megow- haven't seen this one in years. You can't beat the classics !

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:41 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,086 Posts
Mrcosmo,

I love the Megowcoupe!! It's been on my 'someday' list for a while now. I'm really glad to see someone take it on, I'm puzzled it's not more popular. Actually, you don't see many Flyline threads at all..

Question; Will you use a Babe Bee again for power?? Or something else??

Will be watching. Lovely work so far.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:43 AM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Dec 2004
33 Posts
Flyline kits, you gotta love'm. Bowers, Srull and Clukey knew their stuff and it is evident.

I have a Megowcoupe kit in the closet awaiting to be built. Anxious to watch your build.

Thanks,
Brian
av8rsodt is offline Find More Posts by av8rsodt
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Mrcosmo,

I love the Megowcoupe!! It's been on my 'someday' list for a while now. I'm really glad to see someone take it on, I'm puzzled it's not more popular. Actually, you don't see many Flyline threads at all..

Question; Will you use a Babe Bee again for power?? Or something else??

Will be watching. Lovely work so far.

John
Many thanks John, and a good question because originally I was thinking of putting a new G-Mark .061 that I've had in a box since I bought it, but I didn't fuel proof the inside of the nose area so I'm not keen to put a fuel tank in there now. A baby bee (8cc tank) with modern, lighter flight pack will be great, I could even put on the throttle sleeve - although it will run out of juice before I get a chance to land on idle. I could go with electric, I have a spare setup that would work - but I'm building this because of the nostalgia, so I think it will have to be a baby bee but that may change.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rsodt View Post
Flyline kits, you gotta love'm. Bowers, Srull and Clukey knew their stuff and it is evident.

I have a Megowcoupe kit in the closet awaiting to be built. Anxious to watch your build.

Thanks,
Brian
It's a great flying model. My early memories of it is flying past at eye-level as the sun sets, just seeing the framework through the tissue was really so satisfying. If only cox made an tiny four-stroke
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:22 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,886 Posts
Not a Cox but 4-strokes radial .061:
http://www.minimodelengines.com/Feature5R.htm
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:23 AM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Very nice indeed! Wouldn't mind one just for the collection
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:18 PM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
I've been working on the cowl, I guess I should decide on the engine and position it for the final shaping. Will leave it for the moment and start on the wings.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:29 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,086 Posts
Beautiful work, I must say.

I have an extra Golden Bee if you need one, and a Black Widow too. Will send it your way, just let me know.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:18 AM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Many thanks for the offer, will PM you.
Meanwhile, the build continues...
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:39 AM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Started the wings, tips have washout added (crack and bend up), leading edge sheeting and gussets have been added. I've also got the landing gear in place and will work on the fairings next. The scoop towards the front of the nose is to let air flow through from the cowl.
I'll sand the wing halves to their final shape before adding the centre section and dihedral braces.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:13 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,755 Posts
Nice work, mrcosmo! Those Flyine plans are great! coriolan, wouldn't that radial look great on a Flyline Curtiss Challenger Robin?
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:35 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
Not too late to consider EP conversion, t'would stay nice looking longer.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:03 AM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Yes, I haven't completely ruled it out, I have a spare brushless motor, 12A esc and 700 and 800mah packs that would be well suited to it.. but it will most likely be an .049 purely for the nostalgia of it all