SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:04 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Enkhuizen
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
Discussion
Scratch build Balsa 20* inch /50CM Delta-wing

OK 20" isn't exactly 50CM but rounded sounded nicer

Anyway, I've been living in the Netherlands for 5+ years now and have been craving a Delta-wing for some time, I use to fly them amongst other models back in the UK and I miss the speed.

Been trawling the forums (like always lol) and found some pretty nifty designs but decided on my own "mix" of what I like best. Hasn't got a name as yet but I plan on using a 1450rpm motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6547

With Rhino 2cell 610mAh packs. I'm trying to design to allow motor change outs if wanted. This motor is pretty good already used it plenty.

Began building 4 hours ago and below is what I have so far. Without flaps as yet it's 31.5CM /12.40 inches tip to current trailing edge. Weight as it stands right now is 44 grams.
stonerscolony is offline Find More Posts by stonerscolony
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:50 PM
'Ol Miland
Milan, Italy
Joined Oct 2004
38 Posts
Delta

Hi Stoner ,
You and the other friends can take a look to my thread linkin' this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1311294&page=4

Soon I'll post some other pics of my D in advanced work progress
I like to see your own model and wait to share other interestin' pics.

Ciao, Luca
orsi bruno is offline Find More Posts by orsi bruno
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:32 PM
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
very cool pictures orsi bruno

I just been to the model shop and bought some solarfilm in transparent red, I think it will look really really nice. Also decided on a single center Fin (I was thinking about one on each side) because I do want rudder control.

So I'll have mixing, throttle and rudder
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
'Ol Miland
Milan, Italy
Joined Oct 2004
38 Posts
..good choice to use mixers to help the model control : I've tested my own in the maiden with 100% EPA and little horns on control surfaces ..this results in overcharge of adrenaline in my blood on this session !!
Back to the hangar, I've substituted the horns with medium/large ones and added D/R 60% EPA on AIL and 80% on ELE and put more consistent servos in the front ( yes my Delta sports fixed fin-rudder at the moment 'cos I'v planned to build it as light as possible).
Lightness means low wing loading , wider span of flyin' speeds and low Amps consumption...this is for my personal taste

Actually the model fly like on rails , the Delta's DNA tendency to quick&hard tip stall in reduced speed turns was decreased and...elongate the flyin' enjoiment

...some pics added
orsi bruno is offline Find More Posts by orsi bruno
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:01 PM
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
looks VERY nice , good job so far

As for me I'm playing with many new ideas, I've already got my tail sorted, it slots into place so I can solar-film the tail and wing separate for a nice finish. I got some lovely transparent red solar-film for the job I can't wait to start covering.

To help with COG I'm going with one of my old designs where I mount servos at the top of the pod as far forward as possible, then the battery can slide underneth, this puts everything in front of COG. To adjust the battery can then move the entire length of the fuselage anywhere you want.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:17 AM
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
a long night but I sneaked back to working on the Delta a bit more. Tomorrow I'm going to rig control lines, install RX and fit control surfaces / engine... moving towards complete for weekend flying I HOPE
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:44 PM
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
OK I really wanted to finish this plane inside 48 hours which I've done (all elevon mixing is also done). Tomorrow is weekend and providing the weather plays nice I'll be giving this Delta it's maiden along with the Discus Launch Glider.

The final weight is 190 grams a bit on the porky side but as the whole pod tray is velcro and the engine mount is larger than needed I can add a bigger motor if I think it's too slow. Overall I'm very happy for a model that didn't exist in any sense 2 days ago
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
So today is wind force 5/6! Super windy, even flying my Parkmaster today was just lots of rolling and wind hovering / flying backwards. So people at my club thinking that this 500MM span model has no chance... but I'm known as the crazy English pilot and so I have a reputation to uphold!

Delta-wing maiden flight FaTe (3 min 49 sec)

Jan standing directly in my flight path lol, I guess I learnt it's not only crash resistant but it's also Jan resistant

I love this model and cannot wait for the wind to die down to try some speed runs
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
As I fly FPV (5.8ghz) and also been wanting to brake into the Nano FPV scene I ordered my first micro video TX (1.2gram!) and 3 gram camera (520 line)

Going to be powering from a 150mAh 1C lipo at 4 grams. Total FPV weight then will be 7-8 grams. The Delta-wing will be the first model it goes on!
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
http://www.fatedev.com/index.php?p=7...onics+upgrades.

^ Full project updates being explained

In winter almost everyone here stops flying, pretty sad but more airspace for me I guess.

fatedev micro Delta-wing upgrades 2500kv (2 min 8 sec)
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:07 AM
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
1 step closer to FPV delta..

http://www.fatedev.com/index.php?p=7...+how+to+set-up
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:56 PM
Somerset Pa
Joined Dec 2009
176 Posts
I like it,I like it lol That makes me want to put together the delta short kit I have in my stack of "to do" kits lol
Thanks for the vid btw
Jaspur_x is offline Find More Posts by Jaspur_x
Old Dec 09, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
Kit?! lol

If your wondering why the camera is wrapped in plastic it's because I've for a long time wanted to fly FPV in snow (while it's falling!), for years I've loved driving in the snow when it's thick because of the effect it gives like the warp-speed effect from star trek lol. Flying I'm going to guess will be just as fun!

Will be testing range soon and also see how good it is to fly FPV on a delta wing.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
some people messaged to ask how I use Nine Eagle batteries on other things while still being able to use the original charger, I wrote a guide:

http://www.fatedev.com/index.php?p=8...nd+conversion+