SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Hi... I'm a newbie. I read part way through the OPs first post and my brain went 'blah, blah, blah'. Sorry, but you're all being way too sophisticated for a newbie. KISS... anyone know that acronym?

I have an s107 and a Hawkspy. The point in flying these two that causes me the most trouble is the take off. I've quickly got a feel for the response of the kite once in the air.

I've discovered that the downwash causes an updraft from the floor, which if not allowed to settle will make the helicopter wobbly and smash into things before it gets in the air.

To counter this, I do one of two things... If there is plenty of space around the heli, I will force a rapid climb burst which gets me out of the wash before it can take effect. If there is little space, I run the blades at close-to-take-off speed, allow the wash to settle, and then climb. Learning this took about 10 minutes, and one pair of bent blades. Now, I can take off pretty much anywhere safely.
myrcgroup is offline Find More Posts by myrcgroup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:38 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
It's a given. You are going to crash 500 times!
In the old days, a big nitro CP with rate gyro is the only thing available and there are no simulators around. Very few can afford to crash 500 times as each crash costs at least $30. Nobody crashes that much either as you tend to be much more careful with larger helis. Progress was very slow of course and a large majority gave up.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
132 Posts
In general the advice is good, but the timelines are going to be subjective. I've gone from S107 to mSR, backed to mCX2, to mSR to SR 120 in about six weeks. Now I'm attempting CP in a simulator and I can take off, hover, fly around a little and and land most of the time. Hopefully getting some lessons from CaptJac will help me get better at CP in the sim before moving on to the real thing.

So, I think the general advice is good as it's what I've picked up myself scouring the web and aligns with my learning experience. The specific times of how log any stage should take are a bit out of place though. Everyone learns at a different pace. I don't think I'm any kind of RC prodigy but I've gone through these steps a lot faster than you suggest.
helx is offline Find More Posts by helx
Last edited by helx; Nov 25, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:17 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
Sims are NOT "video games" they are a very good tool for learning if used right
and can save you a lot of cash in the long run

what most forget is they only get better the better you get
say you can fly around in FFF now well how about inverted? work on it on the sim and crash 10 times in a night vs trying it on your $$$ real heli and the sim has payed for it self 10 times over

I didn't say anything about sims. I said "video games" meaning I didn't spend hours on a gaming console like kids do learning to react to fast action. My comment was that I felt a coax need not be the first heli for a beginner. I do have a sim and used it to get a feel for how my first CP heli would feel when I first learned to hover with it. However I don't use the sim too much now because it's more difficult than the real thing. I was never able to fly a full scale heli inverted and have no interest in doing it with an RC heli, if I did I would use an MPcX as a real world sim.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:19 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Why newbies crash?
  • They buy a rubbish heli (Honeybees, various clones, Walkeras etc), which is, believe me or not, harder to control than well setup CP heli
  • Trying to fly a FP in the wind
  • Try to fly a CP heli in strong winds
  • They don't buy a simulator
  • Buy a simulator and don't know how to practice properly (look here for good practice tips: http://www.chadrg.com/ )
  • Attempting to fly in confined space, kitchen, living room, front yard, you name it
  • Fly on Saturdays when hungover
  • Attempt to use obsolete and useless learning methods like RADDs. It did it's job 10 years ago where there was no simulators and msrs. Give it a rest now. It may even be harmful if you attempt it on FBL heli.
  • Think mcpx is great learning tool - it isn't, it just gives a good illusion that it is. Bigger CP helis have completely different flight characteristics and power than mcpx. Mcpx may benefit you if you already know how to fly.
  • They don't bother researching and watching setup videos - (pretty much everything is covered on Helifreak). It's not rocket science and good setup makes a huge difference.

Wait a year to fly a CP heli? Please... Personally I waited about 2 months. A year later, consistent forward, backwards, inverted and funnel circuits, started to work on half piro flips and other transitions and have zero crash record. Before you jump to conclusions, I am in my early 40s and only fly on weekends and I know a good couple of people who progressed much faster than I did, I am pretty average.

DX6i and msr/sim, then as soon as you can hold a hover in all orientations get a good quality CP heli and be done with it.
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Last edited by AcidDrink; Nov 27, 2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:24 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
Why newbies crash?
  • They buy a rubbish heli (Honeybees, various clones, Walkeras etc), which is, believe me or not, harder to control than well setup CP heli
  • Trying to fly a FP in the wind
  • Try to fly a CP heli in strong winds
  • Don't buy a simulator
  • Buy a simulator and don't know how to practice properly (look here for good practice tips: http://www.chadrg.com/ )
  • Attempting to fly in confined space, kitchen, living room, front yard, you name it
  • Fly on Saturdays when hungover
  • Attempt to use obsolete and useless learning methods like RADDs. It did it's job 10 years ago where there was no simulators and msrs. Give it a rest now. I may even be harmful if you attempt it on FBL heli.
  • Think mcpx is great learning tool - it isn't, it just gives a good illusion that it is. Bigger CP helis have completely different flight characteristics and power than mcpx.
  • They don't bother researching and watching setup videos - (pretty much everything is covered on Helifreak). It's not rocket science and good setup makes a huge difference.

Wait a year to fly a CP heli? Please... Personally I waited about 2 months. A year later, consistent forward, backwards, inverted and funnel circuits, started to work on half piro flips and have zero crash record. Before you jump to conclusions, I am in my early 40s and only fly on weekends and I know a good couple of people who progressed much faster than I did, I am pretty average.

DX6i and msr/sim, then as soon as you can hold a hover in all orientations get a good quality CP heli and be done with it.
Radds works with FBL ask how i know
and Radds still works great EVEN WITH a sim
the big point of Radds is to get over the fear of that big rotor disk if your starting with a larger heli like a 600 size even a 500 or 550 can be "big" to some one who has only flown a mSR
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:33 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
Radds works with FBL ask how i know
and Radds still works great EVEN WITH a sim
the big point of Radds is to get over the fear of that big rotor disk if your starting with a larger heli like a 600 size even a 500 or 550 can be "big" to some one who has only flown a mSR
Maybe. Personally I don't think scooting on the ground for hours would teach much about flying. It also requires very flat surface and some FBL systems will just try to tip over with big cyclic inputs while on the ground.
Can hold a stable hover on the sim for a minute or so - can do it in real life as well.
Intimidation is a big factor, I agree, even a 450 can be intimidating. I think stepping away from the heli and lifting it off into a hover is the only way to get over it
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:07 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
Maybe. Personally I don't think scooting on the ground for hours would teach much about flying. It also requires very flat surface and some FBL systems will just try to tip over with big cyclic inputs while on the ground.
Can hold a stable hover on the sim for a minute or so - can do it in real life as well.
Intimidation is a big factor, I agree, even a 450 can be intimidating. I think stepping away from the heli and lifting it off into a hover is the only way to get over it
for some one coming from a plank sure just hit the sim
the scooting around teaches input sensitivity which some one coming in to the hobby cold will not have
over controlling is the number one cause of CFIT with new pilots
Radds is set up to teach some one that has NEVER seen RC any thing to fly a heli with out crashing
its built around 1. removing the fear factor(spooling up and down) and 2. learning how the heli responds to control inputs in a safe way(holding the tail and tilting the swash) then exploring how the heli reacts to the inputs(the scooting part) this part also teacher how to use that left stick
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
hey'
I am New to the rc heli and i did start with collective pitch after learning lots of this and other forums, i was able to take it of ground. it did take me 2 weeks before it arrived my home and i started hovering, but in the end it was worth it, personally i don't agree with the terms that all nobs must start from fixed pitch models , because after 1 week you get bored and wanna move up , so anyway start with fixed pitch yes but get yourself a cp as well while you learn and i mean 1/2 weeks is an ought for most
we learn we crush we move on and we aren't intimidated so easily
pizppizp is offline Find More Posts by pizppizp
Last edited by pizppizp; Nov 28, 2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:49 PM
Heli Junkie
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
WtH?

By no means am I a very experienced pilot. I did however start out with a MCX2 like a lot of us have. The coaxial taught me the basics of flying a Heli. Last week I purchased a new MCP-x and only about an hour, I tore up both sets of factory rotor blades at the cost of 20bux. I have to say it's has been the best 20 bux I have spent in a long time! But to say that a new guy can't fly a cp is dead wrong IMO. I will agree that being new we have a real tendency to over correct at first like I do and maybe a little over agressive,....lol, but thats how we learn! When you were first learning to drive an automobile you were a pro the first time you drove or did it take you sometime to become familiar with what you are doing? I bet it took practice as you perfected yer style weather slower or faster than others. Ask yourself this question. At 14 years old, were you able to start and move a big truck with two sticks and about 20 gears? I did and only because I was brought up in that business. I know you could do it if you wanted to as many before and after me will! Part of crashing and having fun at the same time is what it is all about! That's why they call it a hobby! So for the other new guys/Gals, have fun and do your homework. The dumbest thing anyone can do is not ask a question if there having issues that keep happening IE: my heli won't spool up. I bet the first thing replied to that is, is yer battery charged? Hey, bottom line is this, If you wanna fly heli's it will cost you $ that's a givin. The real question is, how much are you willing to spend to have fun! Good day!
Monte50 is offline Find More Posts by Monte50
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:51 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,900 Posts
Noobie question.

Is it better to have a smooth throttle stick, or a notched one?
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:53 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,503 Posts
smooth 9 times out 10 the power setting you will want to hold a hover will be between the detentes
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:46 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Noobie question.

Is it better to have a smooth throttle stick, or a notched one?
There isn't and never has been, a reason for the notches. For helicopters the notches are a huge problem, and for planes it only reduces your precision. Many plank fliers never use the throttle stick though, so they don't mind the notches because they never move the stick - well, they move it twice each flight.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
There isn't and never has been, a reason for the notches. For helicopters the notches are a huge problem, and for planes it only reduces your precision. Many plank fliers never use the throttle stick though, so they don't mind the notches because they never move the stick - well, they move it twice each flight.
be nice the 3D guys have to move it a bit to make nice hovers and harriers
it is funny i get lot of old guys wondering how i can fly with a smooth throttle >.> im like its not that hard
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,445 Posts
Well that's what I'm saying - if you want to do 3D or even precision pattern style, you really need a precise throttle control and you're going to use it... but many park-bashers and weekend duffers don't actually use the throttle control for anything other than on and off.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501