HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:21 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
This forum is supposed to be about posting information for new and up coming RC helicopter pilots. I did try to right a reasonable and informative article to help the guys that are desperately looking for basic information about where to start and why.

Unfortunately I am not able to please everyone. Hope anyone that takes the time to read my post finds the information both informative and helpful in there quest to learn the basics of RC Helicopter flying.
Another budding author? Righting Writing certainly has its own rewards and adds a whole new dimension to "immediate gratification" - ENORMOUS GRATIFICATION!! Keep up the good work!! Shameless plug to follow ... Did I happen to mention the book Taking Off With RC Helicopters - FAQs 102 has just left the heli pad? Written for the beginner in an easy to read question and answer format - 119 most common questions asked - starting with micros and advancing to 450's - available for download (read the review and click the preview tab for table of contents) or if you want the hard-copy version - Amazon.com is publishing a 6" x 9" glossy page format with a super-slick plastic binder (you don't have to hold open with your hands to read) and for a limited time offer - special offer - 33% reduction in price - which means I would do better selling sand in the Sahara. But at least I have the Phoenix Flight School to support me - their there are rewards in teaching too - just not necessarily monetary.
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
I have the video to prove you wrong...

Here is my very first CP helicopter flight. I got no help from anyone on the setup of this helicopter, and I had no real-life training except for bashing a CX2 around the house for maybe an hour total. You can learn on a CP, I have proved it, and I have at least one student who proves it isn't a freak thing.

Align Trex 450 Maiden - Noob Pilot (8 min 4 sec)

I think your post is probably informative, and there's room for everyone's opinion, but I think it would be more appropriate as a blog post - it will just disappear on here. With a blog posting, you can simply post a link on here whenever you have a post that answers someone's question, and you can get a little adsense revenue that way too.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:49 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,121 Posts
At the age of 50+ and no interest in video games the MSR was my first RC controlled anything. I have a 450 clone, a 500 and 600 as well. Now I'm just working on figure 8's and such but so far I have not crashed the CP helis and the MSR still has it's original parts too So I think the coax heli can be skipped. The original post does have good info on how a heli flies which is good for a beginner to know.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:01 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
At the age of 50+ and no interest in video games the MSR was my first RC controlled anything. I have a 450 clone, a 500 and 600 as well. Now I'm just working on figure 8's and such but so far I have not crashed the CP helis and the MSR still has it's original parts too So I think the coax heli can be skipped. The original post does have good info on how a heli flies which is good for a beginner to know.
Sims are NOT "video games" they are a very good tool for learning if used right
and can save you a lot of cash in the long run

what most forget is they only get better the better you get
say you can fly around in FFF now well how about inverted? work on it on the sim and crash 10 times in a night vs trying it on your $$$ real heli and the sim has payed for it self 10 times over
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
I'm abandoning this, it's not helping a newbie to learn flying. This is helping a newbie to avoid certain helis in favor of others. With some stubborn arguments about usefulness of sims for desert.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
Sims are NOT "video games" they are a very good tool for learning if used right
and can save you a lot of cash in the long run

what most forget is they only get better the better you get
say you can fly around in FFF now well how about inverted? work on it on the sim and crash 10 times in a night vs trying it on your $$$ real heli and the sim has payed for it self 10 times over
The guy who has your life in his hands while you relax in the big ol jet plane probably has more video game flight time than real flight time... should this worry you? No, simulators are an essential part of modern flight training and I wouldn't want anyone in the cockpit of my plane who hasn't made a few water landings in the sim. I don't see why it should be any different for us.

I think you are correct that many people do not see the value in simulators because they don't take the time to use it correctly. If you play it like a game, that's what it will be. If you use it like a training tool, then that's what it will be. Simple.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:05 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedexas View Post
I'm abandoning this, it's not helping a newbie to learn flying. This is helping a newbie to avoid certain helis in favor of others. With some stubborn arguments about usefulness of sims for desert.
amen to that! he is telling people in other threads the same discouraging things with no CP experience himself.

just cause you cant or are afraid, doesnt mean someone else cant or should be afraid. all in all this is a bad thread IMO

sim= the best money you can spend reguardless of what radio you use or want (i personally hate the sim but man, i can rip the sky up in real life and i owe 50% of it to the sim)
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:16 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
I'm not saying it's a bad thread, it can be turned into a good guide for beginners and possibly made a sticky. It just needs to be less negative.

If I thought I need to fly a coax for 12 months before bothering with anything alse I would have never started flying at all. It's simply not true, not for everyone at least.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:29 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
why newbies crash: they push it too far too fast or tried flying a model without a proper setup(lack of knowlege which is posted) some of the things posted are good, i agree and lets focus on them.

start slow but that doesnt mean you need to start with a syma 3ch

if CP was impossible, nobody would fly them and there would be no conversation about it. since i hold no share in the industry whatsoever, i dont care who flys what... even though i am a sponsored pilot i suggest products to newbies that i dont even own myself.

I agree(not usually) with Jas that this should be a blog, not a thread, it expresses experience that is inconsistant from person to person and those people all seem to be posting similar things.
Last edited by Cable Guy; Nov 24, 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:37 PM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
I have to say, I am shocked and disappointed by the reaction of some members of this forum to my why newbies crash post. Seems you missed the point completely. No wonder there is so little useful information posted in this forum for the new guys.
Imzzaudae is offline Find More Posts by Imzzaudae
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:27 AM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
Quote:
I have to say, I am shocked and disappointed by the reaction of some members of this forum to my why newbies crash post. Seems you missed the point completely. No wonder there is so little useful information posted in this forum for the new guys.
there is more useful info for a newbie posted on RCG than anywhere else on the internet, perhaps it isnt on the first page of Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric). if you click "search" i am sure any question anyone has has been answered several times over.

the negative tone is not what this hobby requires, patients and practice is what it takes, not willing to debate this anymore,, unsubscribed....
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:53 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy View Post
....why newbies crash: they push it too far too fast or tried flying a model without a proper setup....
This is a bit more reasonable take on the subject. I started with the mSR and there was no reason not to start there. Got on to it pretty quick. Hovering nicely within 8 or 10 flights. It is extremely robust and survived tons of crashes so why not go for it. Had to smash it into the hangar door about 40 feet up so it fell right to the ground before I did more than crack a LG. And there was not lack of skill involved in that crash, I was just ripping the thing all over the place to see what it would do going very fast fwd, pushed it beyond the flight envelope that was appropriate and smacked the door head on. Broke the tail motor when it landed tail first on the cement floor.

Then I went to the SR. Did that a bit too soon and did not put enough time into being smoother with the basic control of a heli. Did not have proper knowledge on how to set it up.

Quote:
Shocked by the reactions??? Look at how you wrote it. You sound like a bloody drill seargent!!!! I think we all "got your point" just fine. Don't advance too quickly, get ver good at simpler stuff and get some help to set up the harder ones before you try them. Use a simulator if you want to save your beans on parts. It was actually not bad up to the YOU CANNOT FLY A COLECTIVE PITCH HELICOPTER section, that's where the drill seargent kicked in. So little useful info for beginners in this forum???? Who made you the only one that had useful stuff to say. Not everybody has the same skill level nor do all pilots need to start right at the bottom. Some are just naturals. The sim will be the best tool to test out who was born with a cyclic in their hands.

Try not to be so high on yourself as the only one with the smarts to impart knowledge to the masses~!!!!!!
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:02 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy View Post
there is more useful info for a newbie posted on RCG than anywhere else on the internet, perhaps it isnt on the first page of Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric). if you click "search" i am sure any question anyone has has been answered several times over.

the negative tone is not what this hobby requires, patients and practice is what it takes, not willing to debate this anymore,, unsubscribed....
Ditto
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:22 AM
Almost expert level crasher
Canada, ON, Perth
Joined Apr 2011
170 Posts
Not to add to the beatings, but from a linguistic point of view the post was very 'wordy'. Readers tend to tune out after the third sentence that just repeats what was said in the preceding two.

Some of the grammar and spelling is way off forcing readers to go back and re-read a sentence trying to decipher what's being said. If English is not your first language I apologize, but here's an example:

"So it requires a little bank right, lots of push tail around and up elevator all at the same time to make the helicopter bank and come around to the right."

Nothing you've said is actually new- it's been said here a thousand times in a much more concise and easy to digest format.
Mikey1 is offline Find More Posts by Mikey1
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Well here we have a person who wants to help bad enough that he took the time to write his thoughts on a subject which is pretty important for beginners. For a person like that, we need to take advantage of them as a community, and the way to do that is to help them with their efforts. I think it would be a good idea to take some of our suggestions and incorporate them into your essay, change the first post accordingly, and make it really shine!

Then, my suggestion is to create a blog - either on here, or somewhere else. People do read this stuff, and I have the money to prove it. Read this article, it's one of my best. Try to get your writing style somewhat like this - it's not perfect but it seems to work.

http://jazzyflight.blogspot.com/2008...spiration.html

Now try this one - it's actually my notes from a presentation I did at a club meeting, edited to read more like an article. This is hard to read...
http://jazzyflight.blogspot.com/2009...er-primer.html - but it is short and to the point.