to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:10 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
5,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRotors View Post
BJB's customer service is like no other.

Bill
BJB is da bomb!

Matin
MATIN is offline Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:15 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,342 Posts
Wow! Just found this thread. I've been wanting to build a Typhoon for several years since it seems nobody has built one. I was going to get one done secretly and surprise people with it, but I'm a slow poke and never got around to it. Then I see that RAFster is working on ome of my other secret desires, a Mitsubishi Raiden. I'd better get going on some other projects or someone will build them first.

That Typhoon is looking great! What canopy are you going to build? My idea was to build a fuselage and then mold both a bubble canopy and the older framed in version from the Mk 1A so that the plane could be built either way.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:02 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Thanks Cory. Yes, the canopy will be molded separately. I want to do both canopies but still not sure which version I will do first. The car door canopy is pretty cool though.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:11 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,342 Posts
To me, the bubble looks coolest, but I was going to do the car door first because it's different.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:43 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,904 Posts
I want to make a clear canopy mold so I vote for the bubble first, reverse psychology works.
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:56 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,451 Posts
As often as I keep posting in these forums about, .. Lines, lines and more lines, ... I surprised people on here don't think I'm a ragging coke head.

I spend more time drawing lines on my projects than actual sanding. Pencile lead and ink are free compared to everything else in this hobby and it is the ONLY SURE WAY of getting things right.

Russ, ... she's looking like she's coming along just fine!

Bill
MicroRotors is offline Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2011, 07:28 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Thanks, Bill. I had planned to rig up a thingie to hold a couple of those little laser levels that are used for hanging pictures. The idea was to have one on each side and maybe some means of moving the fuse forward and back so I could watch the lines change shape on both sides in real time. But it turns out they are too dim to see in daylight.

In the end I just stood the fuse on its nose and marked the lines using a block of wood at the height I wanted.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 08:08 PM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,564 Posts
Ah the old pencil on the block trick -never fails! Nice looking work their Russ, and I'm enjoying following your build. Nothing like a little surface development to get right on both sides of the fuse to keep the brain going eh? Great work!
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:59 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Nothing like a little surface development to get right on both sides of the fuse to keep the brain going eh?
You got that right! Thanks for the kind words, Rob. Hoping to get this sorted out soon so I can move on to glassing.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:28 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Formers formers formers!

Little more work today. Still need to tack all of these in with some 5 minute epoxy before I start foaming.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 07:06 PM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,230 Posts
I love your persistence. I thought it looked accurate before.
salisbug is online now Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:11 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRotors View Post
Russ,

For your Rigid foam, ... you have some of the best pretty darn close to you. It's from BJB in Tustin. You can buy direct from them or you can go to Bermans in the Vally as they also sell BJB's products. I find their 2 part foam far superior to any other and have been using their foam for over 18 years.

One thing I really like, ... is you can pour some into voids and mistakes in our blue or pink foam and repair with the same weight of foam and it bonds FAR BETTER than any filler.

BJB's customer service is like no other. You can talk on the phone or visit them at talk to the Chemist Terry about any problem or concern and the guy will walk/talk you through every issue. I have even taken project, problematic molds and they have never failed me. Heck I once had an ATM Machine face mold (55 gallons of silicon) that was giving me hell and he did the casting of ten parts and they didn't even charge me for the labor.

Bill
Bill, I work with Terry and will tell him about your nice compliment. Thanks for the referral BTW. I met with Russ today when he stopped in to pick up and he showed me the plug. I am known as the resident airplane and RC 'dude' so I speak the language. It's always cool to see projects like Russ' Hawker and am happy to help out. Keep up the good work!
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:15 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN View Post
BJB is da bomb!

Matin
And thank you Matin!
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:30 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Bill, I work with Terry and will tell him about your nice compliment. Thanks for the referral BTW. I met with Russ today when he stopped in to pick up and he showed me the plug. I am known as the resident airplane and RC 'dude' so I speak the language. It's always cool to see projects like Russ' Hawker and am happy to help out. Keep up the good work!
Troy,

Well it looks like Russ is in good hands then, ... Oh, ... Tell Tina, Bill Kenny said Hi! Terry might remember the big ATM mold, ... although that was in 1993 when I worked for Visual Dimensions also on Franklin st.

No need to thank me for the kind words or the referral, ... it's only because of BJB service and products that I am able to do so. Trust me, ... if it was bad, ... I would post just that. These guys are all aware that I voice my opinion, ... even when it's not popular to do so, ...

BTW, ... I need 3 gallons of TC 5050 and 2 gallons of TC-802 or TC-808, .. are you guys open this week?

Bill
MicroRotors is offline Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member