HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2003, 07:33 AM
uk
Joined Sep 2003
22 Posts
GWS Tiger Moth maiden flight

Well after weeks of waiting for batteries and ESC, I took my Tiger moth for its maiden flight. It flew so well, obviously the best choice for a newbie. Then, it flew into a tree, too ruddy high to reach, but luckily it was just a few yards from my house. One of my neighbours had a nice set of ladders, so I have it back, and I will have to glue the wings back together, and off I go again.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas as to what to strengthen the joint between the wing and the stabiliser bits (don't know the correct word) so that it won't break, or is this good, as it stops the main part of the plane from breaking.

Cheers for all your help upto now, as I would have gone for something that looks nice, flies fast, but would have definitely crashed 2 seconds after take off
newminimark is offline Find More Posts by newminimark
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2003, 08:26 AM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Good morning Newmini (well it is morning in the US right now),

If you have LOTS of time there are several good threads on modifications made to the GWS Tiger Moth. Start here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=114411 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=148509 . The first thread is part one of four!

My moth looks as if it has been through the war. I believe it is up to a 50/50 ratio of polyurethane glue to original foam. It's been up a tree twice (different trees), spent 3 hours floating upside down in a lake (do not float fly without a chase boat), has attacked my brother, and has had countless hard landings from my "terrain following" practice.
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Old Sep 27, 2003, 11:24 AM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
I used epoxy in the wing joints and reinforced with clear packing tape. In all its crashes it has bocken everywhere but the joints. I have the balsa struts and wing wires installed as well. For wing breakage in crashes I use the foam safe CA and it isn't as heavy as epoxy but holds well. My 1st TM also looks like it has been through a war but she trained me and still fly's well. When its in the air you can't see how ugly she is anyway. She still has that gracefull biplane look as she fly's. Good Luck and HAPPY FLYING!!!
tahoecrest is offline Find More Posts by tahoecrest
Old Sep 27, 2003, 01:02 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Re: GWS Tiger Moth maiden flight

Quote:
Originally posted by newminimark
Well after weeks of waiting for batteries and ESC, I took my Tiger moth for its maiden flight. It flew so well, obviously the best choice for a newbie. Then, it flew into a tree, too ruddy high to reach, but luckily it was just a few yards from my house. One of my neighbours had a nice set of ladders, so I have it back, and I will have to glue the wings back together, and off I go again.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas as to what to strengthen the joint between the wing and the stabiliser bits (don't know the correct word) so that it won't break, or is this good, as it stops the main part of the plane from breaking.

Cheers for all your help upto now, as I would have gone for something that looks nice, flies fast, but would have definitely crashed 2 seconds after take off

You picked the right plane for a starter plane. I dont care what anyone else says, it is the best to learn on. if you break it, a little epoxy and your right back to flying!!!

Dont feel bad about the tree, I have hit 6 different trees so far, 2 fences, a couple close calls trying to attack myself and numerous hard landings. I have broken the wing struts from the top of the wing 4 times and broken the inner wing struts from the top wing 2 times. You simply cant beat this plane for its ability to teach you how to fly. no matter what you do to it, it wants to fly. So far in 7 hours of flight time, I have broken my rudder (flipped and hit the ground after bouncing off a fence), nose dive to the ground from 30 or so feet up after knocking it loose from a tree and the only damage was the inner struts broke loose. I have yet to break a prop on the thing and the only mods I have done to it is a half finished landing gear mod.

The moth has taken a beating and still wants to fly. So dont worry about crashs, it wont take long before you are flying with full confidence and pushing the limits of what the moth can do

DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Sep 27, 2003, 02:17 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Just don't do what a friend of a friend did with his Moth... He took it camping with him and was doing some low passes over the camp site. As he flew over the firepit, the updraft off the fire totally upset his Moth. As he overcorrected (he was flying at 1/2 throttle) his Moth stalled and fell into the fire. He saved the flight pack sans battery but the Moth was totalled.

Worst thing I ever did to mine was tree it about 40 feet up. Using my fishing pole and tennis ball retriever, I ended up slicing through my wings, nice and clean.

As to your actual question, use some Epoxy on the cabane struts. This will make the joint a little firmer to handle lite crashes, but will still give in a big one. If rejoing the wings is the only thing you break in a crash, keep it that way. For me, I became the formost expert on replacing motor sticks. I think I had gone threw 4 feet of motor stick before I sold my old Moth.

Woohoo, 600th post!
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Sep 28, 2003, 05:42 AM
uk
Joined Sep 2003
22 Posts
I have fixed the wings, so I will go for the second flight in a larger field. Cheers or the tips by the way.
newminimark is offline Find More Posts by newminimark