HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2003, 05:58 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
680 Posts
What to do to fix my HB problems now?

I finally got a GY240 and a new tail motor edp100 (actually was going for edp50). The tail still can't keep up. So I tried a direct drive with a small orange colour propeller. But still doesn't lock the tail well. So far HB been nothing but problems for me. Over $500 dollar for 2 HBs and parts still can't hover properly. I also have the collar and swashball mod.

I must be the slowest leaner here. Though I managed to hover my Corona the whole batter pack on the second flight. No comparison so far.

Also today I installed 2 escs and removed the stock mixer. The escs are both 20 A and very light.

I don't ig the extra weight creates this effect, the cyclic response is very slow, too slow to fix roll/yaw to return to hovering state.

Am I expecting too much from my HH gyro and the tail motor. I think I'll try a bigger tail prop next week. Currently it's 3x2.
tocano is offline Find More Posts by tocano
Last edited by tocano; Sep 27, 2003 at 08:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2003, 08:35 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
I have a basically stock hb. I have the standard tail motor setup, standard mixer, GWS 150H motor (little better than standard one), PG03 non HH gyro. No head mods or blade mods. Hovers extremely well with standard batteries or LIPO. Why did you go away from the original tail motor ? What main motor are you using ?

Ingmar
imeins is offline Find More Posts by imeins
Old Sep 28, 2003, 09:18 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
680 Posts
The tail motor could not keep up the main 370 motor. 1 stock tail is dead and the other one is struggling especially toward the end of the battery pack. I tried speed 300 several times with no joy.
I also have problem controlling the tail and having to control the pitch on the same time. I think I got it balanced and trimmed pretty well.
By the way do you have to adjust the gyro gain?

I am rebuilding it now as I type this for the third time. Hopefully have more luck this time.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 03:19 AM
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2000
549 Posts
I would recommend a stock setup too, it keeps it light and it flys great IMHO.

Everyones stock main and tail motor will burn out sooner rather than later, get a GWS B2 tail replacement from www.aircraft-world.com then fix the main motor.

Unfortunately the brushes in the main, and replacement main are useless they are way too small. And any better quality replacement requires playing around with pinion sizes etc. (which can be hard to do in Australia). So when mine burnt out I just replaced the brushes, it is do-able it just takes some fiddling about, this way you keep the same windings and you won't have tail problems. I've been meaning to start a thread on brush replacement, so keep an eye out I'll try to get something on the ezone by the end of the week, if you have any Q's PM me.

Grant
schoey is offline Find More Posts by schoey
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:52 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
The GWS 150H motors with pinion fitted were $5.00US each from GWS. Dirt cheap and power seems good. Yet to see how long they last.

Ingmar
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:56 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
680 Posts
I stripped the heli down to the main frame (through frustration) and reinstalled the gears and parts on another frame (I have 2) and removed the seperate escs, hh gyro etc. I basically go back to the stock setup with century rate gyro and 370 motor. The only thing I changed was the tail motor with the new edp100 direct drive with pink propeller and I built a small platform in front of the main motor to place the receiver so it balances since the tail motor is heavier (18 grams). Also it has the collar and swashball mods.
After few adjustments it now flies very well. I think the high authority on the tail makes all the difference. It's like a new heli all together. Previously my flight times was only around 15 seconds and now 1 minutes is no problem. I can see that my hover time will improve significantly from now.
I've gone through so much hassle trying to get it to hover with some stability. I don't even think that it was necessary for me to buy a HH gyro for it now. The only thing I notice is that at the beginning of the flight the tail have more left kick and toward the end I have to input more right stick.
Maybe HH gyro will fix this so it stay constant with more solid tail. We'll see since I don't know what to expect from dragonfly/HB.
I bought all my Dragonfly gears from Singapore Hobby.

Anyway After few battery pack I crashed the heli and broke the rotor head. I actually has a spare but when I opened the packaging and trying to install it I found that it's different. It has smaller ball link and shorter distance between the links.

Sorry for a along thread.

Ingmar, where did you get the gws 150h motor from?
Last edited by tocano; Sep 29, 2003 at 11:00 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:24 AM
Joined Dec 2002
129 Posts
Grant,
I am interested in learning how to replace the brushes on the 370 motor. I am on my second one after wearing the first one down into the copper. It was glitching pretty bad at that point.
Other than that I am very happy with the performance, and if I could avoid replacing the whole motor every month, I would keep this setup (1200 etech 2s, 370 motor, stock tail, CF blades). The current motor still has a good amount of carbon left in the brushes, but is starting to glitch ocassionaly. Is there a way to fix that, by cleaning or something?
Jesse
Gluey is offline Find More Posts by Gluey
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:35 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
I bought them direct off GWS. I had them dropped into the same box as the PT17 I just got so that was easy. As long as the Oz distributors are not stocking the spares you can order direct from GWS. Sometimes puts a reality check on the "dealers" you find around here, seeing what things retail for from GWS !

Ingmar
Old Sep 29, 2003, 09:30 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
680 Posts
Thanks Ingmar, the net definitely changed the way we shop for RC things and the OZ dealers will have to understand that or we'll get it from overseas.

By the way what is the website of GWS so I can order the motor.
What is the pinion that comes with it?