HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:53 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
I'll have a look at the Dumas kits.

I was thinking of building the Guillows kit only because I already have one.
Difference is the Dumas stuff you can actually use the kit where as Guillows the wood is useless and all the parts have to be hand cut out of genuine balsa wood. Maybe the laser cut kits use better wood?

Heck if I'm going to that much trouble might as well enlarge the Comet plan to 1:16 scale and build it instead.

There are plenty of ponds around here, the problem is access. Tampa Bay is wide open, but wouldn't want to risk flying off of saltwater. If the model got dunked it would be ruined.

Maybe after my fun build entry is done I'll look into a Zero build a bit more.

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:36 PM
Troy Bowman
United States, UT, Woods Cross
Joined Sep 2011
424 Posts
I have this very kit in my closet taunting me to convert it for some UMX guts I have, but I was scared that it would be hard to do because it is so tiny. This thread is an inspiration. One of the (stupid) wing micro servos got stuck in full high position on my UMX SBach and it went straight down as it was twirling a couple times a second. There was no way I could save it. Needless to say, the foam is totalled. But the gear is still good, perfect for this FW190. I'd probably use a different servo though.

Did you ever get some video of this little warbird in flight?
arcarius is offline Find More Posts by arcarius
Last edited by arcarius; Jun 05, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:03 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
Nope, never did get any video. We tried with my camera but the result was unusable. There isn't anyone at the field that has the equipment or is there early enough to shoot some vids.

This model is still active. I flew it a couple of weeks ago and had it trimmed out pretty well. One of the guys commented on the small amount of dihedral. I never even noticed that, but he's right it looks out of scale. Not sure how that happened...

To correct the out of scale look some wing surgery was in order. I cut the dihedral joints loose and increased the distance from the tips to the build board from 10mm to 22mm which is about what is called for on the plan. The newly angled wing was fitted to the fillets by doing a lot of careful reshaping of the fillet base with sandpaper.

While it was in the maintenance hangar, I used some Micro-sol on the decals and then gave them a coat of flat clear to seal them. (forgot that step earlier and the decals were starting to lift.)

Flew the model Sunday and the added dihedral helped a lot with stability. I think I have found a good cg and next weekend I'll do some glide tests from altitude to verify. I might be able to remove a bit of the clay from the inside of the cowl and move the battery forward some to lighten the model a bit.

Glenn
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:54 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
Time for an update on this model. After flying it a few times i decided it was prone to tip stall due to insufficient airspeed. This could have been easily corrected by changing to a GWS 5x4.3 prop. I really didn't want to give up on the scale prop, so....
The idea started on my micro Hellcat, it had the same pitch speed issue.
I removed the 3 blade prop and twisted in some more pitch. While holding the twist in the blade I heated the blade root with a heat gun. When the plastic got just soft enough for the tension to relax the heat was removed. This added considerable pitch to the prop. The Hellcat flew much better this way and what once was a struggle to stay airborne at full throttle was now cruise at about 3/4 throttle with a bit to spare.

Decided to do the same to the 190 prop. Had to remove the spinner assembly, add pitch and reassemble. What a difference it made in the way the model flies!
Here's a video of the model flown at the Wattfest event a few weeks ago. It was kind of windy but the model did pretty good in the breeze. What I think is cool is it you never realize how small it is until I pick it up at the end!

2012 Wattfest02 (2 min 47 sec)

This flight was done at about 3/4 throttle with little bursts only to pull through a loop or for avoidance maneuvers.

Unfortunately this event also saw the demise of my micro Hellcat. Turned downwind without enough airspeed and the model went into a spin that I could not recover from. R.I.P....

Glenn
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:26 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Nice job Glenn! props to the video taker. Not easy with that size model, Great idea on the "adjustable pitch". That is one great looking butcher bird, sorry about the Hellcat
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:26 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
Thanks Mark.
The Hellcat snapped into a spin and there was no hope for recovery. It was a problem child from the start. I gave up on it once and stripped the gear out for another model. Decided to give it another go and finally got it flying half way decent, then it reached its expiration date. Oh well, easy come, easy go...
Glenn
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:11 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
BYW, long time no see Mark. Where you been buddy?
Everything going OK?
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:20 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
Great job Glenn, I will remember the pitch modification technique. Thanks.

Len
LenBFP is online now Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:46 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
Here's a pic of the repitched prop. Didn't add quite as much twist to the 190 prop.
Hellcat prop was the experimental prototype and once I figured out how hot to get the blade roots it was a lot easier to keep the prop symmetrical.
Glenn
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:14 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
618 Posts
Nice mod Glenn and nice flying too! – looks like a great flying site you have there.
Best
Charles
Spitfire1954 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:52 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
Thanks Charles.
Wanted to fly the 190 yesterday at my club field but there was a dense sea fog that hung around all morning. By the time the fog lifted, I had to leave.

That was the Triple Creek RC Club site where the Watttfest event was held. First time I had been there and it is a really nice facility. They have water there and an AC power outlet at each pit location. Was nice to bring a power supply and charge batteries without worry of killing the battery in the car. Too bad it's so far from home...

Glenn
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,202 Posts
Great work Glenn!
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:59 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Glenn, such a great job on this model! You were right, it really is a smooth flyer!
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:30 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,737 Posts
Glenn, Beautiful job on the FW190. All my planes are foamies, parkzone ultra micros and some scratchbuild foam planes. How durable is the tissue / dope covering? If I ditch it in the grass, is it going to get holes poked into it easily?
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:13 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
The Guillows tissue with 2 coats of dope, and a light color coat of MM Acryl has proven to be very durable. The grass stubble and small stones at our field haven't poked any holes in any of my micro models, but I'm sure it will happen sooner or later though...
I think a lot of the reason for the durability is how light these models are. I have had the grass/weed stubble poke holes in Ultracote on a couple of my much heavier models!
Glenn