Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:11 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,742 Posts
Build Log
Craft Air - Golden Eagle

Howdy folks...

Been flying gliders since the early 80's. I was blessed to have a father that got his hands on the "best" vintage gliders available at the time. We've built and flown planes like the Aquila, Olympic 99, Super Malibu, Sailaire, and Golden Eagle.

After my brother crashed the first Golden Eagle (silly guy installed an aluminum tube wing rod!), my father bought another one and stored it away. Shortly before he died he started work on it and had a friend assemble the wings. It has been sitting dormant for over 15 years and I've kept it safe in my son's closet...until now.

I'm working on several projects but will update this thread when progress is made. For now, here are a few pics of its current status. Enjoy the show.

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:12 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,742 Posts
Build Notes:

- Thinking of scrapping the spoiler thread pull lines and install dedicated servos in each wing.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:59 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
If it were me and the spoilers had dedicated servos, I'd scrap them and install pull strings .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:05 AM
United States, MI, Williamsburg
Joined Feb 2004
122 Posts
Golden Eagle

Subscribed! Have two kits myself.
Thomas Cummings is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Cummings
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:59 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,099 Posts
Your going to like it. Yes to the servos in the wing. Much easier to fiddle with than string and once you got it setup it is even easier.
Mine is on the repair list. Not enough airspeed on launch and @#&^$*

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:46 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,313 Posts
I built one of these - maybe 25 years ago? I still have it, never flown. I never had access to a field large enough to use a bungee hi-start or knew anyone with a winch.
I was thinking of motorizing mine to get it to altitude. I'd have to clear all the weight out of the nose however. And put in new servos.
For my spoliers, I made up a plug in bar (soldered together brass tubes and square sections) that ran off one servoin the fuse - works OK on the bench, but don't know yet how it would stand up in flight.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:46 PM
I like Golden Age
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2007
235 Posts
worst glider I ever owned

Everytime I slowed it up too much (and there was no way of knowing when that was) it tucked and went straight down. Within 150 feet of the ground it was unrecoverable from this wicked stall. Rebuilt the wings three times. Even added washout. Same problem. Finally threw it away.

And no, it was not building or pilot error. Research at the time revealed that this was a common problem with the glider, you had to keep decent speed on it at all times.

Not surprisingly, this was one of the only designs by Tom Williams that never got popular. The Windrifter, SD100, Viking, and Sailaire had no problems.

Nuff' said.
ronj10 is offline Find More Posts by ronj10
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn View Post
I built one of these - maybe 25 years ago? I still have it, never flown. I never had access to a field large enough to use a bungee hi-start or knew anyone with a winch.
I was thinking of motorizing mine to get it to altitude. I'd have to clear all the weight out of the nose however. And put in new servos.
For my spoliers, I made up a plug in bar (soldered together brass tubes and square sections) that ran off one servoin the fuse - works OK on the bench, but don't know yet how it would stand up in flight.
Had one of these in high school and loved it.

You can make an electric power pod that mounts above the wing - held on by the wing rods.
Replace the nose weight with a lipo to power the motor. Yes, there will thrust issues and you may want to mix in some elevator with the throttle, but this is a way to make it self launching without giving up the option of using it as a pure glider later.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,742 Posts
Sorry it has taken me so long to get on this project. Finally went to the LHS to pick up some opaque yellow Ultracote and a box of RIT dye for the canopy. Will try to get the tail surfaces done soon.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:19 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
Hi
I've got an orphan pair of wings that I think are from a Golden Eagle. Please can I ask if you can measure the chord at the root and the tip, this will help me verify it.
Regards Bill
jaguarsrule is offline Find More Posts by jaguarsrule
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:48 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,742 Posts
Bill,

The measurement on my wing is 10 7/8".

-Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarsrule View Post
Hi
I've got an orphan pair of wings that I think are from a Golden Eagle. Please can I ask if you can measure the chord at the root and the tip, this will help me verify it.
Regards Bill
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:19 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
Hi Lee
Do you know if the fuselage is identical to the Viking. Please could you measure the length from the nose to the bottom of the back of the rudder so that I can compare to the Viking plans that I have.
Cheers Bill
jaguarsrule is offline Find More Posts by jaguarsrule
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:20 AM
mmmmm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
243 Posts
im building one of these at the moment, so this is interesting, specially the bit about the unrecoverable stall

subscribed...
moocowfish is offline Find More Posts by moocowfish
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:29 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarsrule View Post
Hi Lee
Do you know if the fuselage is identical to the Viking. Please could you measure the length from the nose to the bottom of the back of the rudder so that I can compare to the Viking plans that I have.
Cheers Bill
I seem to remember that the Viking fuse is 1/4" inch longer, an easy mod from the same mold.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:53 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,369 Posts
Yes, It does look like a Viking fuse. What is the span of the Golden Eagle?

Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
I seem to remember that the Viking fuse is 1/4" inch longer, an easy mod from the same mold.

Joe
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm