Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:36 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Discussion
Bagged layup for XC ship

What would you guys like to see in a bagged wing layup? I'm currently a pretty experienced TD builder, so from building super light to carrying loads of ballast is a new venture.

If you look at this link you can see how I'm currently doing them. I'd like to stick to tube and spar center section, and stressed-skin tip panels. The spar tapers from .56 to .14 with a shear web made from epoxy and cotton fiber filler. The carbon in the center panel is 40% of the center span. There is .7oz FG all around. The carbon is 4.1oz uni from sollar. Everything is on the bias including the kevlar doublers.

Almost all of my structural knowledge has come from Anker. I know there is some layup calculators, but I really don't have the time to figure them out.

The only thing that I could add might be to replace the .7oz FG with maybe 4oz FG. Would s-glass be the way to go?
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:17 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliwill10 View Post
What would you guys like to see in a bagged wing layup? I'm currently a pretty experienced TD builder, so from building super light to carrying loads of ballast is a new venture.

If you look at this link you can see how I'm currently doing them. I'd like to stick to tube and spar center section, and stressed-skin tip panels. The spar tapers from .56 to .14 with a shear web made from epoxy and cotton fiber filler. The carbon in the center panel is 40% of the center span. There is .7oz FG all around. The carbon is 4.1oz uni from sollar. Everything is on the bias including the kevlar doublers.

Almost all of my structural knowledge has come from Anker. I know there is some layup calculators, but I really don't have the time to figure them out.

The only thing that I could add might be to replace the .7oz FG with maybe 4oz FG. Would s-glass be the way to go?
I would read and reread everything Greg Norsworthy has written/posted on this subject. He's been doing this -- and doing it very methodically -- for years.

The one thing I would suggest is looking into a product called Graphlite for the spar caps. I use the ~1/8" diameter round version of it. If you buy it in bulk (100+ feet) Goodwinds (http://www.goodwinds.com/) will make you a great deal on it and get it to you fast. Here was my application:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=eb+29&page=20

A spar using that material for the caps, balsa for the core and wrapped in Kevlar sock and vacuum bagged is cost-effective, UBER strong and easy to pull off.

Best of luck in your venture,

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:58 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,151 Posts
Mike, thanks for the compliment. The only thing I would add is I think I could build #10 with glass skins and make it a $500 plane instead of a $1000 plane. It might add a bit more weight but it was already well under and I usually fly it full.

I have to give credit to Mark Drela. All the ones with ailerons are based on the Supra plans under the paint.

My #10 took a 164 mph pullout last year with no consequences. Try that with just about anything else...
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:27 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,394 Posts
You're welcome/very deserving, Greg. Please post the specifics on the skin cloth you used on the #10.

I'm getting ready to bag an 8 meter scale ship that I want to be torsionally super strong and the carbon cloth is expensive, especially cutting it on the bias and wasting a good portion of it on the cutting room floor

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy View Post
Mike, thanks for the compliment. The only thing I would add is I think I could build #10 with glass skins and make it a $500 plane instead of a $1000 plane. It might add a bit more weight but it was already well under and I usually fly it full.

I have to give credit to Mark Drela. All the ones with ailerons are based on the Supra plans under the paint.

My #10 took a 164 mph pullout last year with no consequences. Try that with just about anything else...
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:33 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,151 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=144

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=145

The wing was full carbon. The layup was calculated using the combined spar/skin worksheet. Each design will be specific.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=prop+er

Yes, it's expensive to build a carbon wing no matter how you do it. That's why I will try the next one in glass. Your case may be too big/high aspect ratio to get away with it. Plug it in the spreadsheet and tell us what you come up with.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:04 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Thanks, I have played with that some, I'll try some more again. How did your project turn out?
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:25 AM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,151 Posts
It's the fastest XC plane around. Last year was the year for getting the bugs out. This year should be really good. We crashed it from 200 ft, broke both joiners, destroyed the GPS, battery, receiver. A few wrinkles in the wing skin, spar was intact...try that with any any other XC plane.