HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:36 PM
AMA 1042906
swimmer's Avatar
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboggs59 View Post
Strong RC motors is in Troy, MI. They carry many of the standard Hobby King "basic" park flyer items. The way they do their shipping is different, but very economical. They offer 3 options on shipping, and each has a fixed standard price. My best advice is to check they out and form your own opinion.
Will do as I am looking to get away from non-USA hobby suppliers. Their prices are good also and the shipping is tolerable.

I've noticed that 3m Blue tape adhesive reacts to $Tree foamboard. Anywhere I have placed it on the foam the tape leaves a mark when removed. Also, I forgot Welders glue will eat some foams. Made a very nice Welders glue elevon hinge then watched as it ate the foam. Live and learn, at least remember not to do dumb things, I guess. Anyway, the hinge joint is a little ugly but appears strong and should be flyable.

By the way, thanks for your help.
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:49 PM
Registered User
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
127 Posts
I know I have drifted off of Balsa or Carbon's original intent of this thread by starting to get into some of the hows, whats, and who to get it from. I picked up on my first thread by Balsa or Carbon with this thread, and have since followed several of his threads that he had started since this one. To me Balsa or Carbon has opened the door to scratch building aircraft that to put it simply is economical to build, and just down right fun to fly.

With that said, I just want to say good job Balsa or Carbon for making an aircrafts that is so simple, but yet so much fun.
eboggs59 is offline Find More Posts by eboggs59
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:54 PM
Registered User
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
127 Posts
Hey Swimmer, just remember as long as life, limb, or property isn't in danger that mistakes are nothing more than a learning experience.
eboggs59 is offline Find More Posts by eboggs59
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:47 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboggs59 View Post
I know I have drifted off of Balsa or Carbon's original intent of this thread by starting to get into some of the hows, whats, and who to get it from. I picked up on my first thread by Balsa or Carbon with this thread, and have since followed several of his threads that he had started since this one. To me Balsa or Carbon has opened the door to scratch building aircraft that to put it simply is economical to build, and just down right fun to fly.

With that said, I just want to say good job Balsa or Carbon for making an aircrafts that is so simple, but yet so much fun.
Thanks , eboggs59 ! By any chance have you built a SUPER EASY ? It's lots of fun doing vertical take-offs with one of those !
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:39 AM
Registered User
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
127 Posts
I haven't built the Super Easy yet, but it is on my list to build. The Super Easy is a prime example of what I was talking about in keeping the R/C flying economical and fun. It is basically patterned after a paper air plane like we all made as kids.
eboggs59 is offline Find More Posts by eboggs59
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2014, 03:29 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Hilversum
Joined Sep 2014
66 Posts
OK,

On Al's advise my first elevon trainer is ready.
6 mm Depron and one spar in the center.
Think two side spars in the top of the KMF along the edges to stiffen the prop hole and the front part is needed. Do not know how much flex is allowed in a delta.

I did set up my DX6i from a fresh reset on a model and hummmmmmm not easy and still one problem.
Down is both sides the same. Up is both side different, right side less the the left side looked from behind.
I have seen several ways to set elevons but only one I could get to work and that has this problem.

Paco
JupaCreations is offline Find More Posts by JupaCreations
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2014, 07:30 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupaCreations View Post
OK,

On Al's advise my first elevon trainer is ready.
6 mm Depron and one spar in the center.
Think two side spars in the top of the KMF along the edges to stiffen the prop hole and the front part is needed. Do not know how much flex is allowed in a delta.

I did set up my DX6i from a fresh reset on a model and hummmmmmm not easy and still one problem.
Down is both sides the same. Up is both side different, right side less the the left side looked from behind.
I have seen several ways to set elevons but only one I could get to work and that has this problem.

Paco
Paco , looking at the plane from the rear , the servo on the right should be plugged into the aileron channel on your receiver . The servo on the left should be plugged into the elevator channel on your receiver .

Then on your transmitter menu , go to setup list , then select wing tail mix . On wing tail mix , select elevon and change it from INH to ACT .

Then to check everything , check one servo at a time . Turn on the TX , plug in the battery , then move the aileron stick to the right and the right elevon should go up . If it doesn't , reverse the aileron channel on the TX . Next , move the aileron stick to the left and the left aileron should go up . If it doesn't , reverse the elevator channel on the TX .

If you use sub trim , the aileron sub trim will only change the right servo , and the elevator sub trim will only change the left servo . Then on the regular trim tabs by the TX stick ( when you're flying ) , aileron trim will trim for roll , and elevator trim will trim for pitch .

For the first flights I recommend low rates and expo - especially on aileron - or it could be quite a handful !

Al

P.S. , did you mean to post on the Simplest Simple Delta thread ? It looks like that's the one you built .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145562
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Dec 03, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2014, 03:08 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Hilversum
Joined Sep 2014
66 Posts
Hi Al, yes wrong thread................

Will try the TX set up again with your suggestions.
What about the spars and stifness?

Let you know the result.
JupaCreations is offline Find More Posts by JupaCreations
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2014, 03:19 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupaCreations View Post
Hi Al, yes wrong thread................

Will try the TX set up again with your suggestions.
What about the spars and stifness?

Let you know the result.
Is yours made out of depron ? - with the KFm doubler it should be stiff enough without a spar . I make mine without a spar out of 4mm foam board ( with a paper skin on both sides ) .

Flying video please , if possible !

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2014, 03:32 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Hilversum
Joined Sep 2014
66 Posts
TX has been set up correctly now.

100% 6 mm Depron.

Paco
JupaCreations is offline Find More Posts by JupaCreations
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion black vs white dollar tree foam unbroken23 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 11 Jul 23, 2012 01:04 PM
Discussion Bulk Readi-Board (Dollar Tree foamboard) shipped directly to you? ExperimentalAir Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 15 Feb 05, 2012 02:38 PM
Yippee! Dollar Tree: We Finally Got One Here!!!! NEW222 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 36 Dec 20, 2011 02:47 PM
Discussion Has anyone used this foam from the Dollar Tree? bagofbones11 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 6 Nov 29, 2011 06:04 PM
Discussion Bulk Readi-Board (Dollar Tree foamboard) shipped directly to you? ExperimentalAir Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 4 Oct 28, 2011 12:41 PM