Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:22 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j beede View Post
I cut the wings off my DTD and reattached them with about 7 dihedral. It was dark when I finished so we will see what adding some dihedral does tomorrow.
Your plane looks AWESOME ! Super job on your first scratch build ! Don't forget the video !
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:39 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Feb 2006
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Your plane looks AWESOME ! Super job on your first scratch build ! Don't forget the video !
So my first scratch built flew great last Sunday when it had zero dihedral. I subsequently cut the wings off and added about 7 of dihedral. We just got back from flying it in its new configuration... maybe it was the wind, not sure, but it sure seamed to fly more smoothly and with better stability with the wings flat! Cutting the wings off and adding dihedral did move the wings rearward about an inch and reduced the WS by about 2". I will cut a new airframe tomorrow and start over with zero dihedral. I may cut a new set of wings to restore the WS to the airframe with dihedral as well. One thing is for sure--this thing is FAST. It hand launched today under full power like a bottle rocket. Cool. DTD is too much fun.
j beede is offline Find More Posts by j beede
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,524 Posts
Quote:
So my first scratch built flew great last Sunday when it had zero dihedral. I subsequently cut the wings off and added about 7 of dihedral. We just got back from flying it in its new configuration... maybe it was the wind, not sure, but it sure seamed to fly more smoothly and with better stability with the wings flat! Cutting the wings off and adding dihedral did move the wings rearward about an inch and reduced the WS by about 2". I will cut a new airframe tomorrow and start over with zero dihedral. I may cut a new set of wings to restore the WS to the airframe with dihedral as well. One thing is for sure--this thing is FAST. It hand launched today under full power like a bottle rocket. Cool. DTD is too much fun.
Thanks for letting me know about the dihedral - interesting !

Al
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Feb 2006
26 Posts
DTD flyer #2. Back to flat wings!
  • 2"x11" elevons
  • 2212-6 outrunner with 7x5 APC
  • 2200mAh, 3S, 20C
  • 34 Amps WOT
  • Hobby* 40A ESC
  • OrangeRX "6100e clone"
  • eflite s75 servos
  • DX5e Tx set to MIX
It was hard to do but once I got the CoG right this one floats on the air at minimum throttle and does screaming verticals when under power. I try to limit the high speed runs as the motor is rated for ~200W. No worries as the motor is $15-20 including prop adapter. It is fun after flying when spectators approach and ask "where did you get that?" Of course my reply is "Dollar Tree".
j beede is offline Find More Posts by j beede
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,524 Posts
Quote:
dtd flyer #2. Back to flat wings!
  • 2"x11" elevons
  • 2212-6 outrunner with 7x5 apc
  • 2200mah, 3s, 20c
  • 34 amps wot
  • hobby* 40a esc
  • orangerx "6100e clone"
  • eflite s75 servos
  • dx5e tx set to mix
it was hard to do but once i got the cog right this one floats on the air at minimum throttle and does screaming verticals when under power. I try to limit the high speed runs as the motor is rated for ~200w. No worries as the motor is $15-20 including prop adapter. It is fun after flying when spectators approach and ask "where did you get that?" of course my reply is "dollar tree".
awesome!!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,140 Posts
Question regarding strength.........

Cut out my Dollar Tree delta and am concerned about the flimsiness of the wing behind the KF airfoil extending to the aft end of the structure after removing the paper. I can see where a CF rod will supply some lateral strength but the longitudinal weakness may be a problem. Could it be that one should use two sheets of foamboard for strength then apply the KF airfoil adding up to three thicknesses? I am also concerned the weight of the motor, if I would install it on the front of the wing, causing the front of the wing to bend down in flight. Let me know your experiences before I proceed and thanks for any info. Also, on this plan, it appears the vertical stabilizers extend back over the elevons. That obviously can not be as it will impede the control surface movement.

I used the attached plan for my delta flyer.

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Aug 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:55 AM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
117 Posts
When I built mine, instead of using carbon fiber to strength the single thickness foam back in the elevon area, I used a strip of 2" wide fiberglass strapping tape runing from wing tip to wing tip. Where the vertical pieces laps over the elevons, just cut a 45 degree knot on the lower corner of the vertical pieces to allow the elevons to move freely. Also to strength the center line from nose to tail, I used the two left over scraps of foam board that is left over from between the rudder pieces and the upper KFM layers and added a strip starting at the "V" seam of the upper KFM layers and ran back to the space between the elevons.
eboggs59 is online now Find More Posts by eboggs59
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:19 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboggs59 View Post
When I built mine, instead of using carbon fiber to strength the single thickness foam back in the elevon area, I used a strip of 2" wide fiberglass strapping tape runing from wing tip to wing tip. Where the vertical pieces laps over the elevons, just cut a 45 degree knot on the lower corner of the vertical pieces to allow the elevons to move freely. Also to strength the center line from nose to tail, I used the two left over scraps of foam board that is left over from between the rudder pieces and the upper KFM layers and added a strip starting at the "V" seam of the upper KFM layers and ran back to the space between the elevons.
Is your motor mounted on the front or is it a pusher?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
117 Posts
Front mounted. Use a piece of 3/8" x 3/8" bass or hardwood to do a stick mount off of. Cut a 3/8" notch down the center line of the nose for about 2 or 3 inches, put a piece of plain straping tape on the bottom of the delta acorss the notch. I layed mine on a good flat surface, put some gorilla glue on the stick, and slipped it in to the notch. Once the glue is dry you should have a good strong stick to mount off of that in flat in relationship to the delta. My slammed the ground several times, and the stick mount never broke or tore loose.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:50 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,140 Posts
I will use your plan to mount my motor. I've been considering the 2730-1500kv motor but wonder if the 1300kv would be better suited?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:18 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
117 Posts
Myself I am also using a 2730 motor, but it is a 1700. That is just what I had laying around. Just mate your motor with adequate battery mah and voltage. I like using the data on different motors that Heads Up RC has on their website for reference. If you have a set of small scales vailable, it is always helpful to know how much your aircraft weighs.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:03 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,140 Posts
Bought a bunch of stuff from HeadsUp. They have been out of stock on the 2712-17 for a long time. I just maidened my 17" Nutball today and am using the 2730-1500kv motor on it. Should be a good fit for the delta seeing how HeadsUp is out of stock on the 2712-17.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:44 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
117 Posts
I recently made a purchase from the following hobby supplier, and I was very content with both cost and availability.

http://www.strongrcmotors.com/Motors.htm
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:51 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,140 Posts
Is this a stateside company? Long lead times from overseas hobby stores drive me nuts.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:26 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
117 Posts
Strong RC motors is in Troy, MI. They carry many of the standard Hobby King "basic" park flyer items. The way they do their shipping is different, but very economical. They offer 3 options on shipping, and each has a fixed standard price. My best advice is to check they out and form your own opinion.