SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:40 AM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,588 Posts
Ralph:
I would recognize that face anywhere. LOL The last time I think I went to Superman was in 96 or so. I never saw Deans plane fly with the two Ram turbines in it but I heard it flew well.

AS/Rodger:
The NF rocket motors may have been throttlable but I just didn't recall. I thought they were not but I am probably wrong (again). I don't know that I ever was told/nor asked where the NF crashed (other than it was near Tehachapi). I do remember, prior to a flight, the maintenance guys "loading" the motor into the NF. I know they had three cause I worked on them but I was told the 4th was lost some time prior to my arrival at the TPS in Aug 1970. BTW, in the movie the "Right Stuff", the claim, as I recall, was that Yeager was flying an NF but I don't believe this is correct. I believe he was flying the regular F-104. Maybe someone else knows "the rest of the story". While at my first assignment with the TPS, I was fortunate enough to work with some civilians that were at Edwards during the "good old days" , when Yeager, Hoover, Jack Riddley (Yeager's engineer on the X-1 program), etc were all at the base. There were a lot of great stories about Yeager and Hoover "borrowing" planes off the flight line to bust up the sky.

Are the old "round top hangars" still at the TPS (bldg # 1210 and 1207). Those buildings were originally at south base and some time in the 60's the Air Force jacked them up, put rollers under them and moved them the couple of miles across the base to the TPS location.

I also got to hear some stories about the "sled track" (out on the south side of the base, just to the west of the old south base complex) where Col. Stapp did a lot of the early rocket test runs before the track was moved to Holloman AFB.

Brings back a lot of great memories.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:25 AM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
868 Posts
Hi Guys
Thanks for the reply's and explanations.
A friend of mine who did fly a small jet did say to me at one point that taking off and landing was the fun part.Two pilots maned the plane, one hands on and visual the other on instruments. He said being the one on instuuments was a pain. So I am begining to see where you guys are comming from. There are some great stories going on here.Thanks again for the information.I think you are right flying is in the blood.
Cheers
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:58 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,276 Posts
yes the ole "round tops" are still there. im sure yeagers crash was a NF -104 if you google it there are pics of the tail with the rocket motor in it. i work at south base and the little round tops are still there and being used as a AGE hanger, and the other one is a supply building. the X-1 pit is still in the parking lot .they but a fence around it and put up a plaque. i got my private faa ticket at the areo club there and i've got @ 150 take offs and landings on the old south base runway.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:20 PM
Roanoke Va
Joined Jan 2008
81 Posts
Can't find any real good shots, but here are a few from Nellis AFB.
fred685 is offline Find More Posts by fred685
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:31 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,839 Posts
oh, i though this was creepy day at work... never mind

continue
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:15 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
868 Posts
"And they say Smoking can kill you" http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...%203%20008.jpg
Steve:
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:24 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah, that Yeager crash deffinitely shows pics with a rocket on the back and the tail code is 762 if I remember correctly.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:28 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,588 Posts
I guess the old saying that the memory is the second thing to go is true. Thanks for correcting the Yeager stuff. I was trying to recall stories I heard about 38 years ago. I guess that I was mistaken about the NF going in because the pilot lost consciousness. Thanks for correcting my recollection/version of history.

When I was at Edwards I remember seeing some video of some F-104 tests being done at the south base runway. They were testing the F-104 to determine how it stood up to a barrier engagement. They had some nets like the ones they had on WW2 carriers strung across the runway and the pilot was to engage the barrier at different offset angles (relative to headon). On one of the engagements you see the plane engage the barrier, slew sideways and then slowly roll over on its roof. Fire crews were quick to get the pilot out.

While at Edwards I also saw some FAA tests of the MD 80. McDonnell Douglas was testing the plane to get FAA certification and they were doing high sink rate landings. I believe the tests called for the sink rate to be about 10-12 feet per second. The McDonnell pilot got the sink rate too high and the plane slammed down on the runway at a sink rate of about 15-18 ft per second. He hit so hard that he bottomed the main gear struts which bent the wing. However the landing was so hard that the aft section of the fuse (just in front of the engine pods) broke off. With the loss of all that weight aft of the gear and the plane still very nose high, the nose slammed down driving the nose gear into the fuse. The two pilots and FAA observer were seriously hurt. I don't know if the base still has it but at the time the base had a very large recovery device called the dustpan. It looked just as you might imagine. It was a very large dustpan with wheels on it. I believe it was something like 50' wide and fairly long and towed by a heavy duty tractor. The base brought the dustpan out and winched the aft section of the plane onto the device and removed it from the runway. The MD 80 was the prototype and the only one McDonnell had. The "landing" was so hard, as I mentioned it bent the wing spars, tore the aft section off the plane and also buckled the fuse. Since it was the prototype, McDonnel trucked all of the fabrication jigs up from Long Beach to rebuild the plane. They rented the weight and balance hangar (this is a very large hangar that can handle (weigh) a C-5) for the rebuild. I believe they were in the hangar for about 15-18 months and they finally flew the plane out after reskinning almost the whole plane.

Incidentally, if you are interested in some really interesting stories told by a wonderful man and a great pilot go to http://www.skyfirevideo.com/aviation/ and buy the Bob Hoover video. They also have some really interesting video of the Reno Air Races and other stuff. After you hear Hoover and Yeager talk about Bob Hoover, you will never look at him the same way again. Truly amazing stuff (like the time he flew an F-86 from Mines Field (now LAX) to Edwards with only rudder and throttle since the control stick had frozen and landed the F-86 on Edwards dry lake at something like 250 kts). You will have to buy the video for the rest of the story. I had a chance to see Hoover at the EAA Fly In at Oshkosh this past August and he was wonderful. Always had time for aviation buffs. I found out (while listening to him at Oshkosh) that he was actually selected to be the lead pilot for the X-1 program but he was removed by the brass when he buzzed an air base in a F-80 "inverted".

More stories later. Have to get ready to go flying tomorrow Venom f-86's and HK Mig 15 as well as (heaven forbid) giant scale P-51 and Spitfire.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:49 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,018 Posts
Another one of those days

Well, I had about 20 minutes to kill before my 10:30 meeting, I grab some food at the cafeteria and was just starting to sit down to eat when I heard a very loud rumble. I hear A-10's all day so I wondered what it could be! Then an F-4 goes vertical at 45 degrees doing a full burner take off. I thought, man that was cool, he turned east (away from me) and I figured he was gone. I started eating my food and he came back doing a low pass over the runway and turned west (towards me) and all the car alarms started going off. I threw my food away and went outside, the F-4 did his thing for about 7 minutes and then the roaring of a Mustang came along. The P-51 and the F-4 did their routine together for about 10 minutes, the one thing they practiced the most was the " break pass" where they come from the east side of the airport ( runways face a northwest to southeast direction) and they cross each other over the runway and both do a roll after that. Both would then pass right over my head making all the car alarms go off yet again. An A-10 and P-47 the took off, the A-10 went right over my head while the Jug went the opposite direction. The A-10 and Jug only practiced formation flying in the background while the Mustang and F-4 continued their break pass practice. I had to get to my meeting and didn't get to see the formation of all four, at least not yet, when they practice like that, they do it about three times a day. Hope I am free when they do another run. As usual, I have some lousy video from my cell phone, once I download another video converter ( the phone does video in gp something, I need to convert it windows media for sound) I will upload some.

HAPPY FRIDAY to all

Ralph
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:54 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,303 Posts
You lucky SOB...
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
You think you had a bad day at the field? Only fools fly in 20knots, yesty at the field 80 y/o member took off with his 50cc gas C/Starlett while everyone else never even bothered to pull models out. Shortly after it quit and that was the end of the model! This was only one day after he managed to find debry of his 50cc gas huge Cessna he lost in our snake infested jungle 10 days earlier! This time he said he's quitting?
Another fool, ME, took off shortly after with 90mm "Falcon" into horrendous Southerly, looking forward to challenging landing, I thought I made it, being solid on the ground but the wind picked it up 5 feet high again resulting in ripping off the nose gear only after the hop. It was the bumpiest flight I did with the F-16. So next I thought my 1/3 scale 100cc "Katanas" will handle the gusts lot better, no problem doing my aeros but 'oh' my god the landing was another story, had to go four times around and it was bad! 1 out of 10 despite condition but no damage done and no more flying in the gusts it's not worth it, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:03 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
sounds like a really sucky day to me. LOL. the F-4 always brings back fond memories for me, such as the time I went for my first flight in single engine plane. we took off from the airport , ran East along the Lake Ontario shoreline and turned south along the Niagara river. as we were flying along, the instructor says, "watch out for the F-4's coming out of Niagara Falls AFB". I say, "what F-4's?" I didn't even finish saying it as two F-4's went rocketing skyward in front of us at a 45 degree angle. the trailing plane rocking its wings to say hi to us. needless to say, it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:17 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,018 Posts
Late show

I was busy working and forgot about the personal show going on. I returned to my office 7 miles away, at 4pm I had to run an errand, and I noticed the F-4 flying around again. I didn't think nothing of it, I was just trying to catch the show as I was driving 3 miles from the base at this point, and I see the Raptor going vertical ,.%#*^#%~ I was mad that I missed that show. I was at a car dealer picking up a remote for my alarm and I managed to snap one picture when the four plane formation flew over my head. F-4, P51, P-47, F-22. I will post it later when I get home.

Ralph
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:17 PM
I am what I teach
Tucson AZ
Joined Mar 2007
529 Posts
Yep, it's time for the anual airshow tune-up at DM! And my new house is under the flight path.

Other than killin' myself triping over the cat tryin' to get out fast enough to get a good look it's cool to have the house buzzed by a P-51\F-86\F-4 combo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
Well, I had about 20 minutes to kill before my 10:30 meeting, I grab some food at the cafeteria and was just starting to sit down to eat when I heard a very loud rumble. I hear A-10's all day so I wondered what it could be! Then an F-4 goes vertical at 45 degrees doing a full burner take off. I thought, man that was cool, he turned east (away from me) and I figured he was gone. I started eating my food and he came back doing a low pass over the runway and turned west (towards me) and all the car alarms started going off. I threw my food away and went outside, the F-4 did his thing for about 7 minutes and then the roaring of a Mustang came along. The P-51 and the F-4 did their routine together for about 10 minutes, the one thing they practiced the most was the " break pass" where they come from the east side of the airport ( runways face a northwest to southeast direction) and they cross each other over the runway and both do a roll after that. Both would then pass right over my head making all the car alarms go off yet again. An A-10 and P-47 the took off, the A-10 went right over my head while the Jug went the opposite direction. The A-10 and Jug only practiced formation flying in the background while the Mustang and F-4 continued their break pass practice. I had to get to my meeting and didn't get to see the formation of all four, at least not yet, when they practice like that, they do it about three times a day. Hope I am free when they do another run. As usual, I have some lousy video from my cell phone, once I download another video converter ( the phone does video in gp something, I need to convert it windows media for sound) I will upload some.

HAPPY FRIDAY to all

Ralph
moparren is offline Find More Posts by moparren
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:23 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,018 Posts
Huhh

Jeff,

I think you missunderstood my posting, I get to regularly enjoy full size Airshows while I am at work. Davis Monthan Air Force base is across a fence and little desert at one of the locations that I work at. Today I was treated to a show that included the full size F-4, P-51, P-47, A-10 and F-22. Even if I was to have a lousy day doing real work, the Airshows are what I would call, the best perk of my job and well worth it.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
You think you had a bad day at the field? Only fools fly in 20knots, yesty at the field 80 y/o member took off with his 50cc gas C/Starlett while everyone else never even bothered to pull models out. Shortly after it quit and that was the end of the model! This was only one day after he managed to find debry of his 50cc gas huge Cessna he lost in our snake infested jungle 10 days earlier! This time he said he's quitting?
Another fool, ME, took off shortly after with 90mm "Falcon" into horrendous Southerly, looking forward to challenging landing, I thought I made it, being solid on the ground but the wind picked it up 5 feet high again resulting in ripping off the nose gear only after the hop. It was the bumpiest flight I did with the F-16. So next I thought my 1/3 scale 100cc "Katanas" will handle the gusts lot better, no problem doing my aeros but 'oh' my god the landing was another story, had to go four times around and it was bad! 1 out of 10 despite condition but no damage done and no more flying in the gusts it's not worth it, Joe.