HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:00 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,016 Posts
Yippee!
Crappy day at work?

Well, not really, but then again I had THREE airshows from the A-10 crew at DM today, video is not high quality but you get the point. This is the Best perk I have to work where I am.

Ralph

A10.wmv (1 min 29 sec)
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Last edited by CRCJA; Mar 02, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:29 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
very cool. it's not often you get to see them thrown around like that. I saw something very similar at a reserve base just South East of Baltimore, a few years back. those guys really threw them around that day too. those A-10's can really get a good roll rate going, that's for sure.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:46 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,268 Posts
i kinda had a day like that last fri ,i got to tow a B-? down the runway at eddies then had to wait to cross the runway for 30mins while about 3 F-16's and a ?-?? did touch and goes right in front of me ...some body has to do this stuff
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:49 AM
Roanoke Va
Joined Jan 2008
81 Posts
I have some A-10 footage I took from my door gunner seat in an HH-60H a few years back. We were on one of the ranges at Nellis and followed an A-10 into a canyon. I stuck my head out the door and was looking right into his exhaust from a few hundred feet back. I'll post it if I can find it.
fred685 is offline Find More Posts by fred685
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:00 AM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
865 Posts
"That's Work"

Whats a good day like!!!!!
STEVEAIR2 is online now Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:50 AM
Matrix 90 & 100mm sport jet
Merritt Island Fl
Joined Aug 2008
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEAIR2 View Post
"That's Work"

Whats a good day like!!!!!
Flying a A-10
Getmore Rc is offline Find More Posts by Getmore Rc
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:39 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,016 Posts
BoneYard

I get to see a very wide variety of airplanes since Davis Monthan Air Force Base is also the military Boneyard. Right before Airshow season, a couple of different performers practice here. A-10's are the primary airplane for day to day operations since this is their training base, I also have the F-16 base only 5 miles southwest of that too, so I get a double dose. I would not be exaggerating when I say that I see at least one or two Airshow practices a month. But three in one day is really cool. Once he noticed I was alone in a huge parking lot filming, he was flying lower right above me and saluted me on one of his inverted passes. Yep the perks make the job worthwhile. Not as Luck as Air Sally, but do get to see a lot more than most. Makes me want to get an RC A-10 for sure.
Last edited by CRCJA; Nov 22, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:55 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
I take that any days. My work is suppose to be fun. But when thinks don't goes well. It all goes south.
I feel like want to fire everyone. I fixing problem that I spend money to had it made and payroll.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:23 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
I just like the sound. Most jets just have a lever on the left side of the cockpit that equates to "noise volume", but A-10's have a trio of jet exhaust, fan whine and airframe whistle that's music to my ears!
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:40 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
My best day a spectator was several years ago at Boing Field in Seattle, WA. SeaTac was closed due to fog. Listening to my hand held I heard that an occasional plane was landing at Boeing Field, so I drove over to Boeing, walked out to the runway with my hand held, and heard a pilot calling the inner marker, inbound. I though, shoot, must be at another airport this place is fogged in, nothing can land here.

No sound, fog to the ground, a real eerie feeling, when all of a sudden a UPS 747 appeared out of the fog, 100 feet from me. It was like a Steven Spielberg event, just me and the 747, I felt like I could almost reach out and touch the wing.

Watching airplanes, RC or full scale, military or civilian is WOW event, ya gotta love it.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:07 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,982 Posts
I can't say I get to see any "air shows", but living here in Hermantown, Mn , I do see lots of different aircraft. The runway is less than a mile away. Before the reduction of all the air bases, Duluth had the 179th FIS. Now its the 148th Fighter Wing. Since I was a kid, we have had many different jets stationed here. F-89, F-102, F101 VooDoo, F-4, and now F-16"s. B-4 my time ,even the P-51. Because of it's status as a former Air Force Base, one of the runnways is 2 miles long, and can land just about any plane. Even had C-5A's , B-52's land here, and the Concord ( air show). Just never know what might drop in? Some years ago, a couple of guys landed here in a F-14, parked it, and went fishing up in the Boundry Waters for 4 days. Nice way to get around!

The 133rd Airlift Wing out of the Twin Cities, C-130's, come up here 3-4 times a week for landing and approach practice. Always something flying around here. Even Cirrus Aircraft builds there planes here.

About 4 yrs ago, we had a airshow here. It was Fri 7 am , now let me tell you, when you get woken up, by 6 screaming Blue Angles F-18's, at about 500 ft. directly over your house, you are up for the day!!! At least I got to see the air show from my yard. Like SCALEFAN said, you gotta love it.

Must be why I like planes!!!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:25 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmore Rc View Post
Flying a A-10
Our millitary planes over here are a bit of a joke. I think we have 4 pilatus and a couple of Kadetts.(Neutral Country). There was an air show at the Military base one year I think it was to mark 75th year of flying or some thing like that. The Tannoy system as a bit make shift but did the job. I think it was an A-10 that came in fast and low but I can still remember the noise, it was Brilliant.
The guy doing the commentry must have forgot to turn off the mike because all you heard over the Tannoy was FFFFFXXXXXXXXCK Meeeeeeee as it went past. Then a a clatter of running feet and a click as the system went dead for a minute.
Hillarious.
Steve
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:56 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,016 Posts
It's hard to work with all that darn noise, oh wait, I need to go back inside to get work done It's 2PM Tuesday and he is out here doing it again

Ralph
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
oh, now you are just showing off. LMAO.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:13 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
865 Posts
Every time I look at this thread there seems to be more and more people who get to play with the real planes as well as Models. "WHY"!!! When you get to play with the real deal! Whats the attraction.
One thing I like about this Site is that the common theme is jets or planes or some thing associated with planes. But there seems to be real pilots on here who still enjoy models, Why!!! I would love to know the reason? I would consider myself a wanna be pilot but just never got there.I have no interest in your Cessna's but give me some of the toys you guys get to play with and i will work for free.
Cheers
Steve.