SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:40 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Discussion
Funbuild 5 interest thread

It is about that time, and before our fearless moderator Jofrost kicks off funbuild 5, he wanted to poll the congregation to see what the interest level would be in a multi-motor funbuild....so who is interested?
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:48 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
I'm in, have a couple of models picked out.
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:12 AM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
I'm pushing last years project off of the board to make room for this years.... attempt.

I'm in
mrdj is offline Find More Posts by mrdj
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:19 AM
Brighton Ont. Canada
Joined Jan 2001
625 Posts
I'm interested. Have a couple of possibilities in 3v. But!!! no promises.
Dave Lindsey is offline Find More Posts by Dave Lindsey
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:44 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,084 Posts
i might be interested. Depends on the rules i have a few plans i can scale up and a few i could scale down depending on what is allowed. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:56 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,244 Posts
Since I still haven't finished the Douglas Dolphin from several Funbuilds back (70% done) or the Luscombe Silvaire (80% done) or the Caudron 460 (90% done, then broken in transit from Oregon to Indiana) it would be insane to start another project I wouldn't finish, so I'll sit on the sidelines and cheer the rest on.

Hyper-disorganized Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:30 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
I would imagine that the rules would be fairly lax. 2 categories, scratchbuild from plans and kit build. Pictures required would be uncovered 'bones' pics, finished pics, and in flight pics or video. Start a thread with your name and model on it, etc.

Geoff, I know what you mean. I've somehow finished 2 of the 3 I have been involved in, but my last one is still sitting in my basement and I finally pushed it into a box 1/2 built.
If you get the inkling this winter, it'd be fun to see you join in.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:54 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,084 Posts
i'd be in then. I have a project in mind. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:19 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,733 Posts
Just got a PM from Jofrost, I had enquired about FB5:

Hi Pat,

I was planning a FB5 with a "multi-engine" theme . If there is more interest and discussion , I would be happy to moderate . Unfortunately for myself there are too many "life" issues in the way at the moment to build something myself ( and have too many unfinished models I need to wrap up first .

Thanks much for your support and interest !

-John

So if you are interested, show some support!

I'm putting the finishing touches on the plans for a scratchbuilt Beechcraft D-18. Probably 1/11 scale. So I'm almost ready to go!
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:09 AM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
I'm in. Just need to check in with Glenn to be certain he's not planning the same build. Have two to choose from and maybe a third. What are the fun-build guidelines, any particular wingspan or weight limits?

Craig
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:24 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,752 Posts
I'm in. I've been working my way through the design of a 51" span Avro Lancaster in Depron and pink foam and will be ready to get started on a build by Christmas.

If the rules preclude a foam build (I hope not), I'll build the Dumas Dragon Rapide kit I have on the shelf.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:30 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrabbit1954 View Post
I'm in. Just need to check in with Glenn to be certain he's not planning the same build. Have two to choose from and maybe a third. What are the fun-build guidelines, any particular wingspan or weight limits?

Craig
They are usually pretty broad, often scratch and plan/kit built separated into two categories. Multi-engine will probably attract fewer entrants than the last Funbuild so I would think there will be fewer categories.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Last edited by pmullen503; Nov 22, 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:10 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
I think there are rules about multi thread postings, but perhaps if we go through channels we can get interest from other groups such as jets, vintage, heli etc...

With as many unfinished builds out there (I have a few as well) perhaps we can extend the timeframe?

DJM
mrdj is offline Find More Posts by mrdj
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post

I'm putting the finishing touches on the plans for a scratchbuilt Beechcraft D-18. Probably 1/11 scale. So I'm almost ready to go!
What plan are you building the Beechcraft D-18 from? That was one of three I was thinking of doing, so I'll scratch it off my list and look at some other alternatives. Not that two of us couldn't do the same thing, but seems like it will be more interesting with as many different aircraft as possible.
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:33 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
If my memory is correct, we're about a month past the usual starting point. I think that the typical funbuild runs from November 1 thru June 30 with a registration deadline of March, Correct me if I'm wrong. In order to bring some sort of content to this discussion, as I see at least 8 entrants, what do you all think of:

1) Planes must have 2 independent power plants (edf, prop, anti-gravity device, etc)
2) December 1 - August 1, 2012 time frame; registration deadline April 1, 2012 (multi engines are typically more complex)?
3) Two categories: scratch build and kit,
4) No limitation on materials (the only requirement is that it is scale).
5) Peer voting for each category and then 'best in show'.