SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:40 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,571 Posts
Build Log
Going to convert my P71 Police Cruiser into a mobile FPV station

Goals are medium range LOS flights. There isn't much around LA that I could park with LOS especially up in the hills and malibu canyons.

Equipment
VC-20-450 Quadcopter 12:50 minute flight time
2x RSSI equipped 1.2ghz receivers
T905 Transmitter 900 MHz 500 mW 1.2ghz
Easy Diversity system
3.6mm 690TVL Ultra WDR Pixim SEAWOLF HD Cam
1.2 GHz - 1.3 GHz low pass filter
1000w DC 12v to AC Converter
DC 10a Thunder Power Charger

I've been thinking about wiring up my Police Interceptor P71 so I can use it as a mobile FPV station. Its got 2 antenna holes on the roof. 1 is 1" the other 3/4" the trunk has 2 3/4" holes.

It'd be great to launch the Quad from roof, and use all the roof antenna and one of the trunk antennas with a extension cable and tripod the roof. Got my Headplay goggles as a viewing option, netbook recording and fullscreen as a backup. Never thought about it but I could just use the 12v as is for most things!

I have aux in on the car stereo so that handles audio and could pick up a secondary video option. My netbook will be handling the recording duties from the diversity system. I have an aluminum briefcase that will include all the FPV hardware while I fly from the drivers seat while parked. Passenger can sit with the brief case or on the center console. I'd like the system to be removable so I can take the briefcase inside or to different locations and just disconnect the antennas.

I could even get the laptop holder the police use.

Could be a really cool lowkey flying location. I don't like the idea of FPV around East LA. The odds of getting jacked while engaged in goggles is a bit too tempting to people. I've done it once and was approached, there was nothing I could do but fly home first. No good.

So I could run a power strip along the top or bottom of the briefcase, or use the 12v from the car itself.

Any input would be appreciated.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:43 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I'll tell you what, with all the antennas on top, people will give you space. lol. You'll look like a cop doing surveillance.

What about a big screen in the back?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:56 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,541 Posts
You need to use circular polarization with the Easy diversity or it will do the exact opposite of what you intend it to do. Everybody who I have talked to says it doesn't work. mine works fine so long as I use a CP antenna set.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:07 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
I'll tell you what, with all the antennas on top, people will give you space. lol. You'll look like a cop doing surveillance.

What about a big screen in the back?
Everyone moves. I've had mexicans at home depot bolt.

I could do a flipdown fur sure. Just have to find one that won't bluescreen during interference
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:08 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
You need to use circular polarization with the Easy diversity or it will do the exact opposite of what you intend it to do. Everybody who I have talked to says it doesn't work. mine works fine so long as I use a CP antenna set.

-Alex
aren't those antennas gigantic in 1.2ghz though? smaller as you go up in frequency?

Whats a 1.2ghz CP antenna diameter. I think they're like 6"