HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:22 PM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Build Log
New EOT Models EPP Strega Mustang 47" span!!! VIDEO ADDED

I've been asked to do another build thread for EOT Models second Reno Racer kit, the Strega Mustang. This model is just about identical in size to the Rare Bear, which flies SOOOOOO nice so I'm expecting another great flying foamie. Here's the discussion on the Rare Bear. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368877

Tonight I opened the box and stuck all the parts together just to get a preview of what it will look like. Nice lines and I really like the paint job it comes with. More pics will follow once I start the actual build.

Power System:
For the motor I'll be using a Super Tigre 10 motor. It's been proven to be very reliable and powerful for it's size and weight especially for the price.
ESC will be a 40 amp of some sort. I'm still looking for an ESC for it.
Servos, like for the Rare Bear will be Hextronic HXT900's all around.

I'm anticipating similar flying as the Rare Bear with maybe a tiny bit of coupling in knife edge due to the low wing design of the Mustang. The Rare Bear was more of a midwing. I could be wrong though. Time will tell. I will most likely reinforce the horizontal and vertical stabs with some flat carbon fiber since I'm powering it slightly more than the instructions recommend.

Edit: Video added 12-18-2011
EOT Models Strega Mustang (5 min 5 sec)
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
Last edited by bikeman; Dec 18, 2011 at 06:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Awesome! Can't wait to get mine!
Steel_Rain is offline Find More Posts by Steel_Rain
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:57 AM
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Glueing the wing together

Pretty straight forward step. I chose to use Quick Grip glue. I never used it before but heard a lot of good things about it when using with foamie airplanes. It's like thinned Goop really. Goes on real thin but tacks up pretty quickly like Goop and seems to stay flexible after it dries. I weighted it down after glueing and taped the joint as well.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:06 AM
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
The next step was to prep the wing for the servos and servo wires. Everything is spelled out nicely in the instructions. For the hole that the wires go through on their way up to the canopy, I chose to heat up a piece of music wire and burn the hole in. Worked great and was much easier to do this way instead of trying to find a very long pointy knife to cut through the thick airfoil.
Servos are mounted according to the instructions. The only thing I chose to do was to angle the servos so the servo arm is at 90 degrees to the hinge line for better geometry and less twisting of the linkage through its travel.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:17 AM
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Tail prep

The tail surfaces are all pre-hinged and just need to be glued onto the fuse. I chose to add a piece of carbon ribbon to the horizontal and vertical stab to stiffen them up a bit and protect it in the event of an inverted "landing". To do this I ended up cutting the vert stab completely in half since I happened to have a piece of carbon ribbon exactly the same thickness as the stab foam. I glued it in with Quick Grip then taped and weighted it down to dry. I used a smaller width carbon piece for the horizontal stab. I just used what I had. I don't think this step is necessary but I did it with the EOT Rarebear and loved how precise it flew and I attribute some of that crispness to the stiffer tail surfaces.
The hardwood piece in the elevator is provided in the kit. Simply cut slot and slide it in. Again I glued and weighted it down to dry perfectly flat.

Mike
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:25 AM
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Glueing the tail on

Every step of this assembly was a none event. Everything is clearly illustrated on the instructions and the parts are nice and straight and true or tabbed so it all goes together with minimal chance to misalignment.
I chose to use the recommended glue for the tail and wing, which is thin CA and activator. Glued the fuse, then sprayed horizontal stab and then pressed it together. I used a square to make sure it was being glued at 90 degrees to the fuse. Once it set, in about 30 seconds, I then ran a bead of thin on either side of the stab/fuse joint. There was enough residual activator in the joint to kick the glue into curing, making for a very solid joint.

I used thin CA as well for the vertical stab.

Not pictured is the tail servo installation. Make sure you cut exactly where the instructions tell you to since this will align each servo's wire with the pre-cut hole in the fuse that the servo wires run up to the canopy in. I used Quick Grip to glue in the servos.

Mike
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Final assembly

The next thing I did was glue in the motor mount. I used 30 minute epoxy with micro balloons for this. The instructions say to use 5 minute epoxy and that would probably be fine, but after dry fitting I noticed a lot of gaps between the foam and the plywood mount so I chose to use a filler (microballoons) and slow curing epoxy. Make sure the sides of the motor mount with the small holes goes to the right. This makes sure the mount has right thrust built in when mounted.

The wing is glued the same as the tail, using thin CA. I dry fit the wing, then wicked in thin from the side of the wing/fuse joint, then sprayed activator on the joint. It feels solid. My thoughts are it will be fine and if it takes a large hit it might pop the wing loose rather than tear it apart, which is what I'd rather happen. However, I built the Rarebear this way and even after knife edging the plane into a model starting stand, it was still rock solid! Anyway, this is a quick step. I eye balled the squareness of the wing to the fuse before spraying it with activator.

For the ESC I'm choosing to mount on the side of the fuse instead of IN the fuse bottom like the instructions say. I did this for several reasons. First I wanted to keep the vertical CG close to the roll center so I'm going to mount the ESC and battery on opposite sides of the fuse. Second, the ESC will get more cooling air on the side of the fuse. Third on belly landings the foam won't get as beat up as it would if it had a large slot cut in it for the ESC. It will also not pick up grass, dirt, mud, etc on rough landings.

More to come...
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:48 PM
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Maiden flight was today. This thing flew better than expected. I continue to be amazed at how nicely these larger foamies fly. First, it's hands off stable. The first flight this morning in no wind the plane could be flown 4 feet off the runway, then let go of the controls and it just stays locked in the whole length of the field. Just totally locked-in, stay-where-put-it stable.
Full throttle with the Supertigre 10 yielded decent speed and unlimited vertical. It's never blazing fast, but definitely fast enough to be fun. With an APC 11x5.5 I saw 341 watts. I used a cheapie Hobbyking SS35 amp speed control. This was an impulse buy and after flying it I looked online about how to program it and found MANY negative reviews of this ESC. That kind of worried me, however mine runs just fine and is very smooth on the throttle. I just need to find out how to turn off the soft brake. The programming guide I found online isn't right for this esc it seemed.
Aerobatics with this are nice and smooth. You can get some nice snaps but they're predictable and stop the instant you neutralize the controls. Because of this predictibility you can really throw this plane around close to the ground and not worry about a surprise tip stall or anything of the sort. On the first flight I was able to hover and torque roll it down on the deck. The guys at the field loved that!
Knife edge is easy, but as expected it does have some roll coupling. Nothing major, but it's there. One thing it loves to do is inverted harriers. Oh, and it lands at about 2 mph.
All in all, this plane flies way better than one would think. I'm working on getting someone to video a flight.

Mike
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:26 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,933 Posts
awesome, another well performing airplane by EOT!
iflytailies is offline Find More Posts by iflytailies
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:09 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Awe Crap,

Now I've got to get me one of these.

Rear Bear is still one of the funest planes I have, and this one looks really cool.

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:12 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,480 Posts
Looks Great Mike... Wish the weather was better, we could do up a nice Vid.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Despite the cold and the wind, I flew the Strega today and managed to get some video. This was also the first time I tried a 1300 mah battery with the Supertigre .10 motor. No problem at all. I moved the battery a tad forward and it flew great, not twitchy at all. Both this plane and the Rarebear are extremely tolerant as far as CG. As i mentioned it was cold, 28 degrees, and the wind was a solid 10 mph gusting to 15 so the flight is a little bouncy but not at all a handful. I propped it down to a 10x5 and it flies ok, but I definitely like it with the 11x5.5 and the 2200 pack better. Still great that you can fly this plane with a range of battery packs without changing the setup drastically. Video was shot using a cell phone so it's not great, but not terrible. Check it out. The horizontal hovering landing was pretty cool!

EOT Models Strega Mustang (5 min 5 sec)

Mike
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:44 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
Despite the cold and the wind, I flew the Strega today and managed to get some video. This was also the first time I tried a 1300 mah battery with the Supertigre .10 motor. No problem at all. I moved the battery a tad forward and it flew great, not twitchy at all. Both this plane and the Rarebear are extremely tolerant as far as CG. As i mentioned it was cold, 28 degrees, and the wind was a solid 10 mph gusting to 15 so the flight is a little bouncy but not at all a handful. I propped it down to a 10x5 and it flies ok, but I definitely like it with the 11x5.5 and the 2200 pack better. Still great that you can fly this plane with a range of battery packs without changing the setup drastically. Video was shot using a cell phone so it's not great, but not terrible. Check it out. The horizontal hovering landing was pretty cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXBUcLE7EiU

Mike
Looks Great Mike.... Cold and Windy day eh?
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:45 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,933 Posts
nice flying! Nice plane, Roland!

http://www.iflytailies.com/
iflytailies is offline Find More Posts by iflytailies
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Anyone else working on one of the Strega's?

I've got one but just haven't started on it yet. I'm suprised this and the Rear Bear don't get more interest because i think they're excellent sport flying planes.

The Strega really needs some landing gear like a Mustang so I'm trying to come up with some ideas for a scale like gear for it without adding too much weight.

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron