HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:30 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,803 Posts
Discussion
RCDIRTBIKEACTION youtube channel - 132 dirt bike videos and counting

I got into rc dirt bikes last year. I would have been hooked 20 years ago if they had them then too. After browsing around and observing the state of the hobby for a year, I noticed the lack of focus to promote the hobby. So, I decided to do something about it. I have 3 goals for the hobby of rc dirt bikes: videos, website, and dirt bike racing.

GOAL #1
----------
Youtube has these "channels" and "playlists" you can setup and create for videos created or found. I have videos for Ricky, ARX540, M5/DX450, VMX450, and QRF400. I try to pick the best of the best. I pass on the videos of dirt bikes running in a grass park. Its nice they are out there, but they are a dime a dozen and do not promote the spirit of the hobby (dirt riding). I also dont bother adding videos if quality is bad or just 5 seconds long unless its extrordinary.

So far I have:
- 35 Help / Tips / How-to videos
- 20 Motard / Supermoto videos
- 45 Bashing / Freestyle videos
- 19 Track session videos
- 13 Racing videos
-------------------
132 total and counting! Goal accomplished.

If you got a video, or a link, please share or post a message on the channel. If you have a video on another video hosint site, please consider posting it on youtube so I can include it! Here's the youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/RCDirtBikeAction

So, what do you think??
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:25 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
I got into rc dirt bikes last year. I would have been hooked 20 years ago if they had them then too. After browsing around and observing the state of the hobby for a year, I noticed the lack of focus to promote the hobby. So, I decided to do something about it. I have 3 goals for the hobby of rc dirt bikes: videos, website, and dirt bike racing.

GOAL #1
----------
Youtube has these "channels" and "playlists" you can setup and create for videos created or found. I have videos for Ricky, ARX540, M5/DX450, VMX450, and QRF400. I try to pick the best of the best. I pass on the videos of dirt bikes running in a grass park. Its nice they are out there, but they are a dime a dozen and do not promote the spirit of the hobby (dirt riding). I also dont bother adding videos if quality is bad or just 5 seconds long unless its extrordinary.

So far I have:
- 13 Racing videos
-------------------

If you got a video, or a link, please share or post a message on the channel. If you have a video on another video hosint site, please consider posting it on youtube so I can include it! Here's the youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/RCDirtBikeAction

So, what do you think??
Great job and good luck with promoting the dirt bike scene John! The only way to get the factories interested in building dirt bikes that will actually go around a "dirt track" is to get people interested enough to help develope the bikes and show the manufacturers that there is a market to sell them to. Without proper tires they will never have a wide acceptance from the off road truck and buggy racers (usually ex-dirt bikers wanting the thrill of MX and TT without the injuries). Duratrax and Venom are missing the boat by not developing tires to give the bikes enough traction to race on real world dirt (hard pack as well as loamy grassy dirt). I have not seen one commercial off road race track that has grass growing on it!! Just my $.02 worth of opinion! Have some fun and make it happen John.
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Last edited by TopDave; Nov 21, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:30 PM
Lloydminster AB
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
Subscribed to your channel. It's been tough to find a good collection of bike vids, so I look forward to your project.
cwazyduck is offline Find More Posts by cwazyduck
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:59 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,803 Posts
@TopDave,
One of the many reasons I purchased a dx450 was I read that 1/8 buggy tires could be wrapped over the stock tire. I had a spare JConcepts Subculture SC 1/10 tire and the first thing I did was cut it to test fit and its wide enough and is snug. Dont care if the lugs rip off because its a starting point to finding what we need. ...Staying on topic though, wheres some video of your dx450's running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazyduck View Post
Subscribed to your channel. It's been tough to find a good collection of bike vids, so I look forward to your project.
Yep, I recognized your cwazy name when you posted.

Thanks for subscribing everyone.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:44 PM
Joined May 2000
2,040 Posts
Quote:

GOAL #1
----------

So far I have:
- 13 Racing videos
-------------------

So, what do you think??
The how to vids are great, I want to get my bike running again, I noticed there is a "red anodized axle spacer" I never had one of those with mine and the instructions did not show it. By chance do you know the PN on it? I'd like to get one and re-assemble mine. Thanks
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:00 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,803 Posts
Hey Rich, your talking about the vmx right? There is a set you can pick up, which included 2 different red alum spacers, the larger one goes on front axle between sprocket and bearing. The smaller red alum spacer goes on the right side of gyro and sits between the brass bushing and the wheel bearing. Maybe that is the missing link for your problems.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBCUX&P=7
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:08 PM
Joined May 2000
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Hey Rich, your talking about the vmx right? There is a set you can pick up, which included 2 different red alum spacers, the larger one goes on front axle between sprocket and bearing. The smaller red alum spacer goes on the right side of gyro and sits between the brass bushing and the wheel bearing. Maybe that is the missing link for your problems.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBCUX&P=7
Thanks, I'd like to get mine going again and try it on a local carpet track indoors. Not sure what type of tire you would have to use to run a bike on that surface? I had mine going for a while, and was actually getting good at driving the thing, but the wheel kept heating up and it was actually shaving the gyro housing down. Thanks for the quick reply, the vids are very nice.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:19 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,803 Posts
Well if that fixes the gyro, you owe me a video on that track please.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:12 PM
Joined May 2000
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Well if that fixes the gyro, you owe me a video on that track please.
It'll be a while, need some other components to get it roadworthy as well. What I did learn while it was running ,was gyro management while driving it, I'd wind it up on the straights, then in the slow turns it was spinning fast enough to get good balance that gave a good scale looking run, without a lot of the wobble. An electric gyro on one of these bikes must be really nice for negotiating the tighter more technical portions of off road tracks. Maybe I missed it, is there any "mod" vids in the site?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:45 AM
Lloydminster AB
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH S View Post
Thanks, I'd like to get mine going again and try it on a local carpet track indoors. Not sure what type of tire you would have to use to run a bike on that surface?
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but for tires I'd try the motard tires and sauce the daylights out of them, get some practice time then post some vids, maybe put on the nylon guides or some sort of a roller guide so the wire doesn't have too much resistance on the carpet. I'll have to talk my wife into running the camera for me so I can get some action of my bike on the web too.
cwazyduck is offline Find More Posts by cwazyduck
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Johnny, we now have 3 motard bikes in Porter... Ill be sure to get some video for you to upload or add to your channel. Happy Thanks Giving!
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:13 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,803 Posts
Thats going to be fun to watch Clay, Vmx and dx450 motard bikes racing. Good luck!

Im really happy with the motard playlist I started. Theres great footage from the UK, France, and Italy is coming alive, and now possibilities with west/east coast guys here in US. UK guys know how to have fun racing using a street track and they throw down some ramps. Nice thing is they have grass to jump onto and they need it too. Theres one video with two bikes colliding mid air. Not sure if the owner at your track would allow ramps, but something to consider.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:18 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Thats going to be fun to watch Clay, Vmx and dx450 motard bikes racing. Good luck!

Im really happy with the motard playlist I started. Theres great footage from the UK, France, and Italy is coming alive, and now possibilities with west/east coast guys here in US. UK guys know how to have fun racing using a street track and they throw down some ramps. Nice thing is they have grass to jump onto and they need it too. Theres one video with two bikes colliding mid air. Not sure if the owner at your track would allow ramps, but something to consider.
At this point our on road track is slim on drivers besides us moto guys. I think a ramp would be great... and a good excuse for the nitro cars to stay off the track till we have our session. Only thing is the off road guys are going to see it and come running... I hate Bashers!! We have been hit so many times from those "cool" guys
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Sep 2005
255 Posts
He already has Wil's "Hot Lap" on his playlist. Di and I have Rickys from way back when, but they haven't been upgraded.
staltus is offline Find More Posts by staltus
Old Nov 24, 2011, 01:53 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by staltus View Post
He already has Wil's "Hot Lap" on his playlist. Di and I have Rickys from way back when, but they haven't been upgraded.
Get them runnning!!!!!!