HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
Discussion
RC Unit for Tamiya 1/20 Yamaha Round the World

I recently acquired a Tamiya 1/20 Yamaha Round the World sailboat that is fully assembled and ready to sail EXCEPT for the RC unit. being brand new to this sport, I have no idea what type, kind or size of RC unit to look for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

it looks like a lot of fun and I can't wait to check it out!

Thank!
phoenixx is offline Find More Posts by phoenixx
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:07 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
934 Posts
Hey Phoenixx
Nice find ! those craft are much sought after and highly valued.
I can start with a couple of tips...
A) You want a radio unit with two "sticks" as opposed to a "trigger type"
radio with a dial/trigger ( like used with RC cars)
B)You want a "mode 2" model so that the left hand stick, going up and
down will control the sail arm servo---and the right hand stick moving
left/right will go to the rudder servo to steer the boat
C)you don't want a AM freq. unit, you could buy FM ,if you will always be
by yourself,no one else to mess with your radio to boat signal...but these
days you ought to just look at the 2.4 ghz - no signal interference, as long
as your batteries are good you won't lose the signal, no long radio antenna
to get in the way, and you can prolly run the radio on four AA batteries for
like 8 hours....

I'll let the others argue about brands and such
Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Last edited by thorsail; Nov 21, 2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:48 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
While a "standard" servo will be fine for the rudder, you'll need one with a lot more muscle to control the sails. Something of similar specifications (the torque figure especially) to the Hitec HS-765 HB http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGZU1#tech
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:38 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
Phoenixx
Congrats on your great find! The Yamaha RTW is my favorite boat! If you'd like to learn a bit more about your boat, you might want to take few minutes to review a recent build thread on this boat.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463901

Lots of tips in this thread. You will see a number of pictures of my boat, and some of other owers and a great step by step build with photos.

As Allan mentioned, these boats have become extremely rare and expensive.

The boat was designed to use a Futaba S 3801 high torque sail servo. Unfortunately they to were discontinued. You can find them on the web if you search hard enough. I found two in the last 6 months.

Here are the specs for the S3801 to use as guide to help you select the best substitue. The servo arm that came with your boat is made to fit a Futaba servo spline. If you use a different brand you will have to make and adapter to make it work. This is detailed in the build thread I've listed above.

You will need a servo that produces 194 oz (or very close) of torque on 6 volts. This is a big boat with lots of sail area - so it is a must to have a servo that can haul in the sails in heavy wind condtions. The servo Martin suggested is pretty close to the Futaba.

Weight 3.77 oz (107.0 g)
Dimensions: 2.32×1.14×1.97 in
(58.9×29.0×50.0 mm)
Torque output:
4.8V:156.0 oz-in (11.2 kg-cm)
6.0V:194.0 oz-in (14.0 kg-cm)
4.8V:0.30 sec/60°
6.0V:0.26 sec/60°
3-pole Dual Bearings Hybrid Suggested retail price $69.00 when they were being made.

Here are the specs for the Hitec HS-765HB Analog 3.88 oz
(110.0 g) 2.32×1.14×1.96 in
(58.9×29.0×49.8 mm) 4.8V:152.7 oz-in (11.0 kg-cm)
6.0V:183.3 oz-in (13.2 kg-cm)
4.8V:0.28 sec/60°
6.0V:0.23 sec/60°
3-pole Dual Bearings Plastic

Here is a link to a very good servo data base.
Great tool for shopping for servos.

http://www.servodatabase.com/servos/all

Allan has provided you with good information on the type of radio you will need. The right radio is really a matter of personal preference and budget. The min. is a decent 2 channel 2.4 ghz radio and matching receiver. They usually are sold as set.

What part of the world are you in? There are a bunch of sources for these kinds of things here in the US or from other parts of the planet. You can get a decent radio from Hobbyking.com for about $30 to $40UDS.

Let us know if you have any questions! Oh, If you didn't get a installation quide for your boat, send me a PM with your email address and I forward a copy to you.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Nov 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:12 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
Boomer, It was Thorsail who mentioned the rarity and quality value of the boat, as well as the radio recommendations. I just mentioned the servo rating and had no idea that the Hitec servo output splines were likely to cause complications
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:21 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
Boomer, It was Thorsail who mentioned the rarity and quality value of the boat, as well as the radio recommendations. I just mentioned the servo rating and had no idea that the Hitec servo output splines were likely to cause complications
Thanks for the "heads up" Martin. I stand corrected, and "kudos" to Allan for his spot on remarks.

The Hitec should work and should fit in the servo tray without issues. Should he opt to use that or any other Hitec servo he will end up adapting the servo arm.

I look forward to seeing some photos of the new boat and to hearing how he likes the new boat.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1