SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:45 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Discussion
Flydumini Frame Thread and Build Hints/Help

Hi everyone,

thought i would start a new thread dedicated to the Flydumini Frame, designed by goofy, so as to not over-contaminate the flyduino thread.

Frame available here..... http://www.flyduino.net

This thread is to be helpful to all flydumini owners, and help/hints for the build process (of which i'm going to need a lot of, lol)
As this my first build of a multiwii type multicopter, any help will be most welcomed!

My shopping list is as follows.......

Flydumini frame (purchased)
Orange 6ch rx (ordered)
4 x Hk 10g 2000kv motors (yet to be ordered, but may consider turnigy 1811's)

So far i have the frame, the rx is ordered, but other parts are yet to be. First on list to get is the 3.3v llc. I am considering several options for this frame. The drotek 6DOF imu is very tempting, as i want to keep the frame looking as "uncluttered" as possible. Also need the nini pro (go's without saying really),
and esc's.

Thanks to all the help i have had so far!
nasgul is offline Find More Posts by nasgul
Last edited by nasgul; Nov 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: motor choice
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:06 PM
Multicopter Addict
Southwest Minnesota
Joined Feb 2010
718 Posts
if you are those 10g motors, make sure you order a few spares. I have had recieved some that do not have the prop saver. Also be careful where the wires come out of the motor bell houseing. Kinda fragile.

I am going to be testing these motors when they get here. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/a1510-2...ss-motor-45731 Been recommended to me that these are way better.
braindead4554 is offline Find More Posts by braindead4554
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:31 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
yeah, lol, they are a little fragile! i found a small bit of epoxy helped with the wires (obviously not getting any on motor stator and bell housing)

lot of people using the a1510's, but also noticed warthox using the turnigy 1811 motors with great results. perhaps warthox would like to share his build/tips on this thread?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 01:44 PM
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Hi Nasgul,

warthox has tested these motors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%5F2000kv.html

'Alteskind' mentioned that there is another prop adapter included too (which is not shown on the pic but in the box).

Black Mantis ESC were fine too (http://www.giantcod.co.uk/black-mant...-402902.html); you can program the motor rotation (comes handy!) - but, be shure the buy the programming card too!

Rgds
aBUGSworstnightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasgul View Post
Hi everyone,

thought i would start a new thread dedicated to the Flydumini Frame, designed by goofy, so as to not over-contaminate the flyduino thread.

This thread is to be helpful to all flydumini owners, and help/hints for the build process (of which i'm going to need a lot of, lol)
As this my first build of a multiwii type multicopter, any help will be most welcomed!

Orange 6ch rx (ordered)

So far i have the frame, the rx is ordered, but other parts are yet to be. First on list to get is the 3.3v llc. I am considering several options for this frame. The drotek 6DOF imu is very tempting, as i want to keep the frame looking as "uncluttered" as possible. Also need the nini pro (go's without saying really),
and esc's.

aBUGSnightmare is offline Find More Posts by aBUGSnightmare
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:12 AM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2011
1,075 Posts
Tested both A1510 and Hex 10g.
A1510 are quite powerfull, but also heavier, the biggest problem, warthox and norf told is they causing vibrations, not run very true.
I had them only on the green 2mm test frame and i think now that i use the 10g hex its all better, less vibrations but less powerfull.
Next time i will try some tiger mini motors, what i dont like on the mini tigers, also a different mount, you have to drill some hole in the mini frame...., sue not too hard for a model builder.
Goofy23 is online now Find More Posts by Goofy23
Last edited by Goofy23; Nov 25, 2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:36 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
thanks for the info paul,
i also run hex 10g/hk 10g (same motor) on my wraith 10" quad, and find 2cell ok, 3 cell monster. not sure how long they would last though?
the tiger motors sound interesting, any pics?

aBUGSworstnightmare, i noticed on the link to the turnigy motors, they show a 3 hole motor mount, but on warthox's, they are a 4 hole motor mount? so are they supplied with the 3 or 4 mount?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:39 AM
Multicopter Addict
Southwest Minnesota
Joined Feb 2010
718 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5358

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_2000kv.html

I guess it depends on which motor you end up buying. Botha are the same motor just different branding.
braindead4554 is offline Find More Posts by braindead4554
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:06 AM
Cumbria
Joined Nov 2003
42 Posts
Hi all,
Just about to start building my Flydumini and wondered how people are mounting their BMA020? Would be easiest to hard mount it on the usual stand offs but wonder if it would be too sensitive to vibration this way. Alternative would be foam mounted and small / short wires soldered in place. Would be interested to hear what others have done.

Cheers,
Tony
Tjay88 is offline Find More Posts by Tjay88
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:08 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
hey tjay88,

thinking that myself. waiting for bma020 and wmp to arrive, then going to figure method of affixing/wiring. may possibly put very small rubber washers on motor mounts, and just fit bma on pins, or use gyro tape to secure it.
if the motor/prop combination are properly balanced i can't see vibes being a problem. decided i shall use hex/hk 2000kv 10g motors as i have had good experience with them, plus very cheap to replace as and when

what you other guys think? pin mount or soft/wire mount?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
is this comparable to the MK 50cm frame in terms of strength? http://flyduino.net/Quadrokopter-Rahmen-Set
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:18 PM
Cumbria
Joined Nov 2003
42 Posts
Going to use the HK 10g motors as well which should be here this week so glad to hear good reports on these. I found the BMA020 to be pretty sensitive after using one on my larger quad hense the question on mounting. Maybe Paul can comment on how he mounted his?

In terms of strength, I'd imagine this little quad will take quite a beating as the board feels very strong indeed. Remember this only measures 17cm across so not really a fair comparison to a 50cm quad. The bigger one is always going to come off worse in a crash for sure whereas the micro quad will probably just bounce. Will find out soon enough I guess.
Tjay88 is offline Find More Posts by Tjay88
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasgul View Post
Hi everyone,

Orange 6ch rx (ordered)

and esc's.

Nasgul-

Motors that I like a lot lately that I've tried both of pom the f;lydumini:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6584

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7338
ezmobius is offline Find More Posts by ezmobius
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:11 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
cool, thanks for the links, may give the c10's a try. (was going to use some on a brushless lama conversion)
next silly question, on the bma020, which pins do i connect/solder? thanks in advance guys.

ps; got wii motion plus coming my way now
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
188 Posts
I just got 2 of the drotek 10dof's and 2 of the pololu 9dof's in the mail to use with flydumini frames on their way. Man these suckers Śre small! Have a look at these guys, especially the pololu's!

I got the pololu's for $29 on black friday too! Killer deal, usually $49. $29 for a 9dof is pretty sick especially for how small they are.

The drotek's are nice too though and full 10dof with higher quality sensor's. Imma try em both and report back.
ezmobius is offline Find More Posts by ezmobius
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:51 PM
Deutschland
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
I can't power my board via lipo, via FTDI (USB) it works. I don't know why, without the lipo I can't power the WMP. I have to say that scratched the bottom of the plate between SDO and GND. Can anyone help me? From the Lipo IN I get the lipo voltage 7,6V, but not on the Arduino mini nor the WMP.
flow23 is offline Find More Posts by flow23