HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Discussion
What happened with AVG and Microsoft scan tools ?

I used the AVG free scan tools last year, but it got deleted during a system restore. I went on their site last week, and now it's a totally different "free" setup. You now get a free trial sampler that deletes 100 items it deems suspicious, and that's IT. It's a one time use deal now. If you want anymore than that you either have to agree to join a program where one of their coporate advertisers will pay for your download, or you have to pay for it yourself.

Also, Microsoft used to have a free security scanner on their website for Windows XP. I used it before and it only scanned when you wanted it to. The last time I tried it over the summer they changed it and "upgraded" it so that it runs all the time and acts as a firewall....which is a great idea ...unless you're using an old computer like me. It basically bogged the whole system down so slow that surfing the net was almost impossible, so I deleted it the same day I tried it.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:22 PM
Happy Trees
Colorady
Joined Mar 2005
1,332 Posts
Ever used avast? we switched from avg and have zero complaints.
http://www.avast.com
Good luck, computers can sure be a pita.
m4rs is offline Find More Posts by m4rs
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:43 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,781 Posts
Microsoft Security Essentials.....a good free av program that updates automatically and scans on schedule

Works well.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:49 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
299 Posts
I just bought Vipre. Doesn't cost all that much or bog things down too much.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:05 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I would try MSE again and turn off some of the real-time monitoring settings that might be slowing up browsing. I have it on all my computers including the netbook running XP and it's like it wasn't even there, except when it finds something.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:09 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,276 Posts
got tired of renewing my NOD-32 so now it's AVAST with the language set to "pirate"...

FWIW, AVG died years ago. got so bloated it needed 2 hours just to scan itself...
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:34 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Our IT guy says you get 99% of what you need by using the free McAfee Stinger. Don't give yourself Administrative capabilities either. Make an administrative account but call it something else. Call it Admin works good enough. Also get Malwarebytes free malware remover. I too have an old system and that's they way mine is set up.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:17 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Or run a Mac
saltyzoo is offline Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:28 AM
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
Yea, because Macs never have any problems, ever

Avast, Avira, and MSE are probably the best free AV solutions.

BitDefender is an excellent lightweight commercial one.

Be careful with system restore. It's probably one of the most improperly used tools on Windows and causes a lot of problems for people because of it.
kalnaren is offline Find More Posts by kalnaren
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:53 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Yea, because Macs never have any problems, ever

Avast, Avira, and MSE are probably the best free AV solutions.

BitDefender is an excellent lightweight commercial one.

Be careful with system restore. It's probably one of the most improperly used tools on Windows and causes a lot of problems for people because of it.
I didn't say that. But I've saved hundreds of hours over the last five years not having to screw with virus protection, malware, and registry bloat issues. I've has 4 laptops from work in the last five years that have all run slow from day one due to the overhead of all the anti virus crapola on them, and within 6 months they run like maple syrup in liquid nitrogen. I'm only on my second personal MacBook in that timeframe and it's a rocket still and nary a virus (or anti-virus program).
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:14 AM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
I am running Ver 2012.0.1872 which seems to be okay. As far as I can tell it's the latest free version with a license that does not expire. Make sure you are downloading the free version.

Look here:

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Vi...-10320142.html
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:24 AM
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
I didn't say that. But I've saved hundreds of hours over the last five years not having to screw with virus protection, malware, and registry bloat issues. I've has 4 laptops from work in the last five years that have all run slow from day one due to the overhead of all the anti virus crapola on them, and within 6 months they run like maple syrup in liquid nitrogen. I'm only on my second personal MacBook in that timeframe and it's a rocket still and nary a virus (or anti-virus program).
"Work" laptops are often slow because they're imaged. We have the same issue with ours from work despite the fact they're high end laptops (and they run McAffee, which IMHO has taken over from Norton as the slowest piece of security software known to Man).

I've been running Windows systems for 15+ years, and don't have a myrid of problems with them. I've also only had one -that's right, ONE- malware infection in all that time that wasn't due to something stupid I did (including stupid things I've done, I've had TWO malware infections, total, in 15 years). My longest without a reinstall was 4 years (on a laptop, nonetheless). Actually that laptop is still kicking around in a box, still works.. I just don't use it.

Some AV solutions are very bloated and slow... and none of those have been suggested by anyone in this thread. I don't even notice Avira running on either of my computers. Sorry but the whole security argument against windows is getting rather old and tired.

Aside from all that, the OP mentioned they have an older computer.. I assumed spending $1,200 on a Mac of likely similar performance specs isn't an option.
kalnaren is offline Find More Posts by kalnaren
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:32 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
"Work" laptops are often slow because they're imaged. We have the same issue with ours from work despite the fact they're high end laptops (and they run McAffee, which IMHO has taken over from Norton as the slowest piece of security software known to Man).

I've been running Windows systems for 15+ years, and don't have a myrid of problems with them. I've also only had one -that's right, ONE- malware infection in all that time that wasn't due to something stupid I did (including stupid things I've done, I've had TWO malware infections, total, in 15 years). My longest without a reinstall was 4 years (on a laptop, nonetheless). Actually that laptop is still kicking around in a box, still works.. I just don't use it.

Some AV solutions are very bloated and slow... and none of those have been suggested by anyone in this thread. I don't even notice Avira running on either of my computers. Sorry but the whole security argument against windows is getting rather old and tired.

Aside from all that, the OP mentioned they have an older computer.. I assumed spending $1,200 on a Mac of likely similar performance specs isn't an option.
If you don't mind worrying about which virus scans are bloated, which aren't, which works on which OS well, which ones were free arent now, the new free one, etc, etc, etc, yep.

Not having to worry about such things is not a remotely old and tired argument. If it were, this thread would not exist.

My Mac mini that I got off eBay for $300 still rocks. The price thing is the old and tired argument. Comparable equipment in quality isn't that much different. That's the argument I used for many years before I tried one and saw the light. I was a staunch Mac belittler until they went to unix underneath.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:54 AM
Joined Dec 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
If you don't mind worrying about which virus scans are bloated, which aren't, which works on which OS well, which ones were free arent now, the new free one, etc, etc, etc, yep.

Not having to worry about such things is not a remotely old and tired argument. If it were, this thread would not exist.

My Mac mini that I got off eBay for $300 still rocks. The price thing is the old and tired argument. Comparable equipment in quality isn't that much different. That's the argument I used for many years before I tried one and saw the light. I was a staunch Mac belittler until they went to unix underneath.
Mac guys crack me up.
So, what antivirus software do you use when you run your windows in Fusion? Just about everyone I know has to run fusion so they can run the windows apps they need. Funny stuff that.
crashdummy6 is offline Find More Posts by crashdummy6
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:25 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdummy6 View Post
Mac guys crack me up.
So, what antivirus software do you use when you run your windows in Fusion? Just about everyone I know has to run fusion so they can run the windows apps they need. Funny stuff that.
The only app I have that I need windows for is real flight. And I don't use the internet from my VM, so why would I need an anti-virus app?