HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:10 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jerry View Post
Ken, have you given any thought to doing a 5 layer fuselage for the Stingray ( I know that it techinically already has 7 layers )like the ones on the VLF WWII models? It would be nice to conceal the Rx and ESC in the fuselage with access doors like your WWII designs had.
That is an interesting thought. I had initially conceptualized this model as all horizontally laminated, but then the idea eluded me when looking at the side profile. It could be done though. Will have to play with SketchUp and see what could be.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:31 PM
FPV Noob
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2008
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
That is an interesting thought. I had initially conceptualized this model as all horizontally laminated, but then the idea eluded me when looking at the side profile. It could be done though. Will have to play with SketchUp and see what could be.

Ken
I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with!
Sailor Jerry is offline Find More Posts by Sailor Jerry
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:07 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
784 Posts
I maidened my Stingray this afternoon and it went well. I am using a 2208-12 motor and a 900 two cell battery and it had good power. I didn't trim it any at all; it was just windy enough that I could never actually go straight and level long enough to figure what it was doing, but it flew well and landed just fine. 'Uncle Paul' had already left so he didn't get to see it fly but some of the guys he has made planes (yours) for watched and liked it. Can't wait to try it on a calm day!

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:53 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,222 Posts
Don,
The 2208-12 is a fab motor. It likes a 7x6 on 2s and a 7x5 on 3s is really powerful.

Just dial down the throws a little more and she will tame down, and that the CG is not aft.

Post a finished pic of your plane please.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:51 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
784 Posts
I flew the S'ray in much less wind today and it did great. A few clicks of 'up' and she was doing fine. I am under ten ounces even with all that paint but I had to fly on half throttle and above. This plane is cryin' for a three cell battery! I couldn't find another 7x6 last nite so I put on an 8x3.8 and it felt ok. Yep, I need to get a few small 3s batteries!

Don
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:10 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,222 Posts
Nicely done Don!

Once you get back to the 6" pitch on the prop you will need less throttle, significantly less.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:18 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
I like the look of this plane alot. Would it suit an advancing beginner?

I have pretty much mastered my bixler and looking for something smaller and slightly more agile (without being twitchy) with good gliding capabilities and something that can be flown in light / medium wind.

Thanks
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:30 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
784 Posts
This could be a good second plane, but maybe third would be better. It flies great with no bad habits and is very controlable in some wind, but it does not have any dihedral so it needs attention.

Don't strip your Bixler; save it as a backup plane and buy all new gear for this new plane. You could buy one of Ken's kits, purchase the gear online, and still get out for about $60 or so and a few evenings of fun at the workbench.

My easiest plane to fly is a Parkzone Trojan T28. It is the plane I don't mind letting other pilots, even newbies, take the controls on. Dihedral seems to be the key to 'easy' or not. (usually)

Don
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:55 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
I like the look of this plane alot. Would it suit an advancing beginner?

I have pretty much mastered my bixler and looking for something smaller and slightly more agile (without being twitchy) with good gliding capabilities and something that can be flown in light / medium wind.

Thanks
I have mine trimmed to fly hands off, but you do need to know what to do if you get into trouble. It is easy to fly once set up, and on low rates shes a pussy cat, but crank the rates and go 3s, and you'll have your hands full.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:29 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
This could be a good second plane, but maybe third would be better. It flies great with no bad habits and is very controlable in some wind, but it does not have any dihedral so it needs attention.

Don't strip your Bixler; save it as a backup plane and buy all new gear for this new plane. You could buy one of Ken's kits, purchase the gear online, and still get out for about $60 or so and a few evenings of fun at the workbench.

My easiest plane to fly is a Parkzone Trojan T28. It is the plane I don't mind letting other pilots, even newbies, take the controls on. Dihedral seems to be the key to 'easy' or not. (usually)

Don
Thanks Don,

I am a reasonably fast learner (was doing loops and rolls with the Bixler on its maiden, which was my first time flying) so i think it might be manageable. The only thing that worries me at the moment is my radio. It is the HK6DF which doesn't have dual rates or expo. I am waiting on a Turnigy 9X but in the meantime i guess i'll just have to go with minimum throws, smooth thumbs and hope for the best.

The bixler is getting a motor upgrade so i hope to be able to use the old motor for this next bird. I also have a spare 20A esc and some HXT900's which look like they'll suit the stingray.

I'd be interested in getting a kit but postage to Australia might be a killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
I have mine trimmed to fly hands off, but you do need to know what to do if you get into trouble. It is easy to fly once set up, and on low rates shes a pussy cat, but crank the rates and go 3s, and you'll have your hands full.

Ken
Thanks Ken, sounds good. I really do need a proper radio huh

Could you PM me a price fr a kit shipped to 4127 QLD Australia.

Thanks, Oh and great job on all the help, plans and build threads you've done and contributed to. I hope to get some of your birds in the sky soon.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:43 PM
FPV Noob
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2008
228 Posts
Ken, have you had a chance to work up a VLF fuse for this yet? I still think it might be cool to conceal the gear.
Sailor Jerry is offline Find More Posts by Sailor Jerry
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:25 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jerry View Post
Ken, have you had a chance to work up a VLF fuse for this yet? I still think it might be cool to conceal the gear.
Not yet. Working on getting the Blu-Baby 33 Classic and Trike along with the Tucano plans published.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:21 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,222 Posts
Bob's Flaming StingRay

My buddy Bob B. showed and flew his finished StingRay at the indoor facility this Tuesday. He did a cool black and red flame motif.

Looks Good Bob,
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:10 AM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
784 Posts
I flew mine yesterday and it did great; until I tried inverted and it tried to dive to the ground. It seemed like it didn't have enough 'up' (down) to keep straight and level. Does that mean it is nose heavy? I do have a quarter ounce of nose weight just to be sure it isn't tail heavy. It really is a fun plane on two cell and I'm gonna try 3 cell soon.

Don
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
I flew mine yesterday and it did great; until I tried inverted and it tried to dive to the ground. It seemed like it didn't have enough 'up' (down) to keep straight and level. Does that mean it is nose heavy? I do have a quarter ounce of nose weight just to be sure it isn't tail heavy. It really is a fun plane on two cell and I'm gonna try 3 cell soon.

Don
Don,
It does sound a bit nose heavy. It should balance on the center of the battery pocket, which is 3-1/8" from the front of the firewall.

Ken
RCG Plus Member