HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2011, 02:15 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,013 Posts
Kit revised with Build Guide

I am happy to let you know that we are back up and running. I also revised the cut file for a couple of reasons. Shipping and material costs.

I reduced the spar to a 5mm O.D. x 4mm I.D. CF tube. In the kit this will come in two equal length pieces and include a 4mm O.D. x 3mm I.D. x 3.875" long CF tube joiner. I am not going to revise the plans as I believe that you can install whatever you have for a spar. It could be 3/16" dowel rod or 3/16" sq. spruce or whatever wood you have on hand.

The main wing and KF panels have been seperated into 3 pieces with interlocking tabs to get them together accurately.

Kits have been revised
Wing and KFm panel are no longer 3 piece. Spars are now single piece. Kits come shipped in a 4mil sealed polyethelyne bag with a spec. sheet, additional parts needed list and web address information pertinent to this kit.

Kits are $26.99 with shipping and handling to the 48 contiguous United States for $8.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Oct 26, 2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Kit revision noted
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:50 PM
United States, MI, Parma
Joined Aug 2006
198 Posts
I know the weather has been terrible of late for flying, but does anyone have video of this plane flying?
Rolland Benson is offline Find More Posts by Rolland Benson
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:16 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland Benson View Post
I know the weather has been terrible of late for flying, but does anyone have video of this plane flying?

Rolland,

If weather cooperates I will try to get video this week. Sounds like Pavelow is nearing completion as well. Hoping he posts some pics of his progress.

Hoping to demonstrate both 2s and 3s in the video as well.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:48 AM
United States, FL, Mary Esther
Joined Jun 2008
276 Posts
After a couple of days of honey-do's, I finally got mine finished. But now I can't find my camera! Anyway, just waiting for sunrise so I can go out and test it with a 2S battery. If it survives, and if I can find that darn camera, I will post some photos later.
Pavelow is offline Find More Posts by Pavelow
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:59 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,594 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this one in the air..
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Eagle
Old Dec 08, 2011, 05:40 PM
Joined Jun 2008
276 Posts
Found the camera and had a couple of short test flights. I like the way it flys, straight and true. I had a 1000 mAh 2S battery driving a 1400kV 2409 bell motor. The 18 amp ESC is overkill, but it's what I had on hand.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:02 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
771 Posts
That's a great looking plane, Pavelow, and I love the 2409 motor you put in it. I wish I could find another one.

I started to make a Funbat and then saw the Stingray design and did a compromise; I used the front half of the Stingray wing and the back half of the Funbat and came up with what's in the photo. Still a few days away from finished but I'm on the right track I think. Just don't know where to put the CG yet.

Any photos of your Ray in the air?

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Last edited by beemerdon; Dec 08, 2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:51 PM
Joined Jun 2008
276 Posts
This is the motor that I used:

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224356
(currently on sale for $5!)

and the engine mount is:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9869

I glued a 5mm carbon tube to the motor mount to attach it to the fuselage. The carbon tube extends a little past the battery compartment, so it provides a strong attachment point for the velcro strap that secures the battery.

No airborne pictures, it's too dangerous for anybody else to be on the field when I'm flying!

The C/G of the stingray is pretty far forward since it's a flying wing. For the stingray/funbat hybrid (Stingbat? FunRay?) I would move the C/G back to about 15% of the wing chord as a starting point.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:06 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,013 Posts
Pavelow,

I love your paint job, and happy for your successful first flights. Hope you don't mind, but I would love to paint mine similar to yours. The checkerboard on the bottom really stands out well and is a nice contrast to the flowing lines. What size are the squares on the checkerboard?

What prop are you running? Give it a shot on 3s as well.

This plane flys well on a variety of batteries since she sits at the CG.

Still waiting for an opportunity to film mine.
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:55 PM
Joined Jun 2008
276 Posts
No problem "borrowing" the paint scheme. The KFM2 airfoil makes the top paint scheme easy, and the bottom checkerboard pattern makes it super easy for orientation for my tired old eyes. It also makes it easy to identify your airplane in a combat furball. The checkerboard is simply 10mm squares. The middle section is slightly wider than 10mm just because.

It currently has a GWS EP0947 (9 X 4.7) prop on it, and it definitely has plenty of pull. And I will try a 3S battery when I get some time.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 11:48 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,594 Posts
She's a beauty Pavelow, I also love the paint scheme...congrats on a great build..
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:09 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,013 Posts
Kit version built!

I just got the kit version build finished painting today. Pavelow, thanks for the inspiration. I love the bold checker pattern on the bottom. I went with different colors on top, but a similar pattern.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:59 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,594 Posts
Hi Ken
Oh she's lovely, just look at those sweeping lines.
Well guys the StingRay is just the prettiest thing to look at, so when are they going to fly, I want to see them in the air. Come on Ken, slap a motor on the front, grab your TX and video camera and make us all green with envy..
Regards
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:01 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,013 Posts
Got some awesome indoor video yesterday with Hippo flying this plane while I videoed. Having trouble uploading to YouTube and Vimeo.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:27 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,013 Posts
I dumped the video from vimeo in favor of the YouTube one. It can be seen in the second post.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jan 06, 2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: dumped vimeo