HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:54 AM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jul 2008
56 Posts
Discussion
Optic 6 Sport 2.4 and Optima 6

I have an Optic 6 Sport 2.4 TX with 3 Optima 6 RXs. I recently sent in the Optima 6 RXs to Hitec in CA for a free upgrade as mentioned in the recent service bulletin. I was able to rebind all upgraded RXs to the TX but that was when the strangeness started. Now I am not able to set the throttle range on any of my three Escs (1 Gaui 22A and 2 Exceed RC Proton 30A all of which are Brand New). Also none of them arm but each broadcast a "throttle stick is not in the bottom position" Alert (short beeps about .25 secs apart). They were tested each with a variety of LiPo packs (Sky LiPo 800mah 20c, Hyperion 950mah 25c. Both fully charged ). I'm thinking that the Optima 6 RX firmware upgrade requires a corresponding upgrade on the Optima Sport 6 TX. Can anyone suggest what I should do next?
carthagenj is offline Find More Posts by carthagenj
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:38 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthagenj View Post
I have an Optic 6 Sport 2.4 TX with 3 Optima 6 RXs. I recently sent in the Optima 6 RXs to Hitec in CA for a free upgrade as mentioned in the recent service bulletin. I was able to rebind all upgraded RXs to the TX but that was when the strangeness started. Now I am not able to set the throttle range on any of my three Escs (1 Gaui 22A and 2 Exceed RC Proton 30A all of which are Brand New). Also none of them arm but each broadcast a "throttle stick is not in the bottom position" Alert (short beeps about .25 secs apart). They were tested each with a variety of LiPo packs (Sky LiPo 800mah 20c, Hyperion 950mah 25c. Both fully charged ). I'm thinking that the Optima 6 RX firmware upgrade requires a corresponding upgrade on the Optima Sport 6 TX. Can anyone suggest what I should do next?
Did you reduce the throttle trim to below 50% or extend EPA to 125 either direction, prior to resetting the ESC?
This is required on all computerised TX so as to permit correct operation of ESC, please refer to:
EPA, ATV, Dual Rates & Expo Differences & Caution + ESC BEC Set Up
Transceivers updated, what about the Optic Sport?

An opportune time to also check your TX for current firmware.
Hitec Optic 6 & Optic Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, FAQ & Comparison Charts

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:11 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jul 2008
56 Posts
Huh? ATV only affects cyclic servos on channels 1,2 and 6, not throttle which in my case is channel 3. No?
carthagenj is offline Find More Posts by carthagenj
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:19 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthagenj View Post
Huh? ATV only affects cyclic servos on channels 1,2 and 6, not throttle which in my case is channel 3. No?
ATV does not apply in all cases. That information page covers the many many repeated questions relating to ESC setting, ATV & EPA problems experienced with all brands and types of transmitters.
Relative extract from information provided =

Throttle Setting for Electronic Speed Controllers:
Many ESC will not arm unless the throttle trim on a computerised TX is lowered to say 15 -20% or EPA adjusted almost to maximum because, in simple terms, the maximum servo travel displayed on a computer TX is about 80% of that of a non computerised TX to provide for the trim and sub trim adjustments.
NB: Never set up an ESC with trim at absolute minimum or EPA at maximum because some ESC will lock out if overheated or other cause and can only be reprogrammed/reset by starting with a lower than previously set value. During the subsequent reset process the minimum trim must be increased back to say 20% to provide a margin for future resets. (e.g. Graupner Pico Mos series).

Hitec Optic 6 & Optic Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, FAQ & Comparison Charts - includes firmware upgrade details.

Alan T.
Last edited by A.T.; Nov 20, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:48 PM
Say it with a Venom
Grimsby
Joined Jan 2007
52 Posts
The link for full house sailplane does not seem to work could you fix please AT.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...72&postcount=6
slopegod is offline Find More Posts by slopegod
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:27 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopegod View Post
The link for full house sailplane does not seem to work could you fix please AT. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...72&postcount=6
Copy of 'Sailplane Talk' article is also available:
Full house with an Optic 6, with tips on RES by original author, Post #5.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
Say it with a Venom
Grimsby
Joined Jan 2007
52 Posts
Thanks AT for your fast responce.
slopegod is offline Find More Posts by slopegod