SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2003, 03:29 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
M60 frontside music video #2: Below the horizon

This is really video #3.
First one was mild DSing..
Second one was big open sky filling moves with a lot of vertical elements.

If that one was vertical, then this one can best be described as horizontal. Lots of flitting about the sky a little above and a lot below the horizon doing pylon turns and such.

It's a bit longer.. 5:20, 32 megs (figure 2 hours on dialup to download.. or 3-4 minutes on broadband.. )
http://www.houseofthud.com/videos/mt...w-music2-4.avi (Requires DiVX Codec)

Other than 3 clips in the middle where I was flying, (you'll see they're at a lower frame rate and brighter colors, shot with Jeff's digital still) the rest of this was all me filming, and Jeff flying my M60 ballasted, and near the end flying his own unballasted.

BTW there's something really cool at about 2:05.
A few seconds after that you'll also see some super accelleration while turning a flat 360 on the frontside. DS kind of accelleration. Not sure why yet, but I figure it's from flying through wind shadows from the ledges below the lip or something. Need to explore it more.

Enjoy. Lemme know what you think.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Sep 26, 2003 at 03:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2003, 04:12 PM
Do anything for a Mach 1
Haiku, Hawaii
Joined Mar 2003
1,289 Posts
Great video Ian. Good editing, tunes and nice flying! Sweet!
jonoknight is offline Find More Posts by jonoknight
Old Sep 26, 2003, 04:18 PM
Utah
Joined May 2003
78 Posts
Yeah, 2:05 was pretty cool (I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it), but near the 4 minute mark was even cooler. Suddenly changing the color scheme on the m60 was much more impressive. Solartex feature?

houseofthud.com - in addition to having a really fat pipe to the internet - is definitely turning into one big free m60 advertisement - kinda like what the Italian Job is to Mini-Coopers (though I heard BMW paid for that ).

I have GOT to find a spot like that around here. Yeah, there are people that come from all over to go to our local slope, but STILL... What was the wind like in those clips? 15mph or so? 20? I find myself thinking "Man, Colorado's not THAT far..."

matt

(oh, and FTR, yes, I did read it was Jeff's m60...)
bakerzdosen is offline Find More Posts by bakerzdosen
Last edited by bakerzdosen; Sep 26, 2003 at 04:21 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 04:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
Ya, the Solartex changes from red/white/black to yellow/black depending on the angle of the sun, and time of day.

The M60's performance captured in any video format is an advertisement for itself.
As for houseofthud.com. Don't jynx it. I still get that hosting for free, and I shudder to think what it'll cost me the day when I have to move all that content and monthly traffic elsewhere.

Wind was blowing about 15-20mph. That lip is so sharp though that you don't feel it standing back only about 6 feet from the edge. 10 feet from the edge, and the wind's blowing on your back.

I've driven through Dixie National Forest and the various canyon country out there in Utah. There's got to be comparable places to fly with a decent wind and vertical face. I'd like to get out and fly Point of the Mountain. Maybe later this fall my dad can come down from Montana and fly his paraglider, and me my gliders.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2003, 05:33 PM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
Verry Nice Video Ian!
LWThompson is offline Find More Posts by LWThompson
Old Sep 26, 2003, 07:19 PM
Gravity always wins!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
681 Posts
Wow! Cool vid! Although as you say, a long 2:15 download on dialup! However, worth it, just to see some high speed turns and that new colour chaging solatex! I can't wait till it makes it here to Australia ;-)

Matt
Mafu is offline Find More Posts by Mafu
Old Sep 26, 2003, 08:47 PM
Utah
Joined May 2003
78 Posts
Yeah, well, if you make it out here to PoM, lemme know when you'll be there. I'd love to see one of those videos in person.

I'll have to bust out the topo maps and start looking around here. I know there are good places to hike to on the point I haven't been to. I'll have to try those before venturing too far out into the wilderness though. The IDEAL spot here would be the top of Mt. Timpanogas. The problem being the 5 hour hike (1 mile vertical) to get there from the nearest road. That is one thing CO has over UT. The _paved_ roads go to some insanely high places.

And uh, yeah, I sort of guessed you weren't hosting that on your home DSL account. If you were, you'd be MY kinda neighbor.
bakerzdosen is offline Find More Posts by bakerzdosen
Old Sep 27, 2003, 09:20 AM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Great video and great flying Daemon, I like the music too.
Do I see something in the clouds at 5.03 ? or is it only the cloud formations ?

Lancair
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair