SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:43 AM
Joined Dec 2004
115 Posts
Question
UM P-51 to T-28 guts swap??????

I got WAY to eager in my move from helis to planes and bought a now extremely banged up UM P-51 for my first try. Have since bought a champ and doin good(hard not to with that plane).

So now need advice from you pros.............
I am decided, from all the feedback on here, a UM T-28 Trojan will be my next step up. How difficult would it be to swap the guts of my P-51 to a T-28 body? .....or would it be better to sell the servos/brick of the P-51 and just buy?

Can I use the same pushrods(with some bending)?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mphsjeep is offline Find More Posts by mphsjeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:50 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
853 Posts
Been awhile since I owned the UM P51 but I flew my UM t28 again this morning. Definately a keeper.

If you are skilled as a hobbiest then transplanting the guts from one to another plane should be minimal sweat. If you want the nose wheel steerable then a third pushrod is needed. The P51 pushrods are not a drop-in for the T28 so I would plan on changing them too. Might need to change the wire lengths on the motor and battery lead also.

Very do able swap, however if you decide to sell the P51 brick then please offer me first chance at your reasonable price.

Curt
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:03 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,948 Posts
Another way to look at it is do you enjoy doing things like this? If you really enjoy transplanting and modifying your planes almost nothing is difficult. If you don't really enjoy it almost everything is difficult and aggravating, so if you don't really enjoy it sell the 51 and save yourself a headache.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:25 PM
all crash, no burn
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
P51 and T28 share the same guts. So you are good in that regard. However cost wise you'll probably be better off selling the guts and changing directions.
cardnation is offline Find More Posts by cardnation
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:06 PM
Joined Dec 2004
115 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Still thinking.....corvette, make me a offer. I was just looking at the P 51 and it is salvagable so I will sell the whole plane. PM me.
mphsjeep is offline Find More Posts by mphsjeep
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:26 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphsjeep View Post
Thanks for all the input. Still thinking.....corvette, make me a offer. I was just looking at the P 51 and it is salvagable so I will sell the whole plane. PM me.
PMSent.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Closed Thread