HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Apr 2006
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step View Post
Can't do that,...

This is kinda cool. Saturday night there will be a full moon and it's orbit will be closest to earth thus appearing it's largest,... called a super moon. http://www.king5.com/news/local/Supe...149947055.html
this will preclude any good stargazing. working at alpental on saturday too so will need to load ski gear (altho dont know if knee will be able to take it). will leave telescope at home.
balsabozo is offline Find More Posts by balsabozo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 12:44 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,094 Posts
On the road O-Dark-thirty in the morning heading east.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old May 05, 2012, 11:30 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,094 Posts
Boomin thermals, truly hat suckers made it great day
Old May 07, 2012, 06:15 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,094 Posts
The Yakima Aerotow was one of the best I've been to. The thermals Gene promised came through the valley both Saturday and Sunday and many got hour long flights. Most of us tested the limits of our eye sight and at times the entire sky was a hat sucker. Most had to land due to stiff neck syndrome.

Thanks Gene
Last edited by davidjensen; May 09, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old May 08, 2012, 12:55 AM
1/2 scale
Pitt Meadows. B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2006
154 Posts
I spent a very good and informative weekend with the guys at Yakima. As a total "noob" to aerotowing, I'd like to thank all the guys, Nigel, Gene, Don and the rest, for setting me straight in the art of towing. It's a bit of a learning curve.

I was able to pull up about 5 or 6 willing glider guys, but then the big purple Stik decided it was time to develop a carb malfuntion, so I watched and learned, retrieved tow lines and generally got in the way for the rest of the weekend.

The maiden flight of my Minimoa was done by Nigel, thank you my friend, and a bit of work is required....ail. differential, putting the spoilers on the throttle stick etc.

All in all, a very good weekend in spite of the cold wind, met a lot of really nice people, did the maiden voyage on my new travel trailer....lots of fun.

Thanks, guys.
Cheers,
Dave.
mogman is online now Find More Posts by mogman
Old May 08, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Jul 2004
15 Posts
Just wanted to say it was great to see some old friends and meet some new ones. I know I have been away for a while, but it is great to be back pulling you guys to the clouds! Wish I could have been there for the whole weekend....I am sure Sunday was incredible!!!!!!!!

Dan Borg
aerotow1 is offline Find More Posts by aerotow1
Old May 08, 2012, 11:12 AM
My Ex-wife Hates Airplanes
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Feb 2007
179 Posts
Likewise for me, it was nice to meet up with the usual suspects as well as some new faces.
We missed Fred China. We wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him at the next event.

I was pleased to tow with the new tug and discover it's strengths and weaknesses. A little fine tuning and it'll be a keeper.

The "Thank You" list:

Gene & Greg for doing all the grunt work running the event
George Glessner for allowing us to fly & camp on his beautiful property, as well as letting us store models overnight in his hangar!
Dave C. for putting up with my snoring in the trailer

Other points of interest:

The escaped horse that ran across the middle of the intersecting runways, leaving us with some serious potholes to fill!
Shortly after a discussion as to whether anyone had ever hit the windsock pole with a model, Frank W put an end to the conjecture with his Minimoa. Glad it's repairable, Frank.

Cheers, Nigel
monocoupe110 is offline Find More Posts by monocoupe110
Old May 08, 2012, 11:43 AM
Gene C
Joined Aug 2008
78 Posts
Many Thanks

Dan, I knew you couldn't resist the tug sticks for long. Besides you make my good landings look horrible.
I would also like to thank all the tug pilots for taking most of the tug duty off me.
My neck is felling better now after the long soaring flights this weekend.
Thanks Greg, Dave and others that shucked the tow lines. It's a rather thankless task, but appreciated by all.
Next year the event will move to the first part of June where lift conditions, as Don has put it, will suck the rust off a Buick.

There were 21 registered pilots, a good turnout for early May.
Thanks all,

Gene
justhuman is offline Find More Posts by justhuman
Old May 08, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Sep 2010
2 Posts
Bobdog

Gene, Jus wanted to thank you for the Yakima exprience. The night fire backed up to the full moon made the campers w/e. I'm very sorry for your loss as I know first hand how you feel. Have assest Da~Hooker and will be flying in no time. It was great to see everyone.
Bob Beardsley.
Bobdog is offline Find More Posts by Bobdog
Old May 08, 2012, 10:57 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
Been going to Yak since 2004.

Always a great time, Thank again Gene.

BTW the trailer rental worked out OK.
We used the place in Ellensburg and everything was Great.

Hey Dave ? did I do ok ?
not a single "!" :-)

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; May 09, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 02:05 AM
Canada, BC, Delta
Joined Oct 2011
14 Posts
2012 Yakima Aerotow Event

What a wonderful event!
Yakima Aerotow had a more than 20 pilots registered for the event with many of these pilots bringing 2,3,4,5 models with them.
Thanks to:
2012 Yakima Aerotow event official planner and organizer Gene & Ida Cope,
more than decade sponsored by Glessner Air strip(2000 ft. plus long runway) owner George & Irene Glessner and field crew Greg.
I have been attending this event for the past 11years and I always keep coming back.
6 tug pilots and Yakima team (Gene, Ida, Greg)were kept busy all weekend long towing sailplane throughout the days.
*Gene Cope's 1/3 super Cup, workhorse Yakima Bull, DLE-170 super powered
Pegasus(This will be more than enough to handle 50% sailplane)
*Dan Borg flew the DLE-170 Pegasus
*Bob Beardsley's DA-Hooker
*Sanders Chai's Super Decathlon with DLE-56
*Nigel Tarvin's Brison 6.4 pilfered Pegasus(V tail design by himself)
*Dave Collie's Big Purple Stic

It was wonderful event!

Dave Kim
wolken is offline Find More Posts by wolken
Old May 09, 2012, 02:52 AM
Canada, BC, Delta
Joined Oct 2011
14 Posts
2012 Yakima Aerotow Event

...few more pics...
wolken is offline Find More Posts by wolken
Old May 09, 2012, 12:36 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2004
810 Posts
Perfect! Bob!

Dave!

...and thanks for the wonderful pictures, Dave Kim!!!!
Seadog is online now Find More Posts by Seadog
Last edited by Seadog; May 09, 2012 at 12:41 PM.