Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by HawkerTyphoon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:13 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Discussion
Drum Set

Last week I picked up my own drum set. I had been borrowing my friends kit and hauling it back and forth to band practice every week. That was a hassle and it was adding a lot of wear and tear on his really nice Pearl drum set.

At first we were just looking to add some cymbals to the existing set. For some nice ones were were looking at around $200 or more for a set of Zildjian or Sabian's. While cruising Craigslist, we found a guy that had these listed. A set of entry level Pacific drums, a Sabian cymbal pack, a Pacific double bass pedal, and a top of the line Pearl hi-hat stand. It was a complete set up for less than the price of the cymbals!

The heads on the drums were shot so I had to order new ones. That also meant that I would have to tune the drum set because all the heads were coming off. I replaced the smashed up drum heads with some high end Evans heads and 4 hours of tuning later I had VERY inexpensive kit that sounds as good if not better than the Pearl I was playing before.

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:43 PM
United Kingdom, Bath
Joined May 2011
162 Posts
...tuning gauge ...

.. thats a bit flash. In the old days its was going round each screw tapping just infront of it.

Great to find another drummer/ flyer, I have a Pearl New World red (birch shells) with K Zildjian hi-hats... Not been playing much lately. Music room turned over to planes..

Mystifried
mystifried is offline Find More Posts by mystifried
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystifried View Post
.. thats a bit flash. In the old days its was going round each screw tapping just infront of it.

Great to find another drummer/ flyer, I have a Pearl New World red (birch shells) with K Zildjian hi-hats... Not been playing much lately. Music room turned over to planes..

Mystifried
Yeah same here,

What do you like to play?

If the weather ever cooperates I will have a day off AND good flying weather so I can shake the dust off the 'ol park-fliers. Until then its music time...
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:54 AM
United Kingdom, Bath
Joined May 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkerTyphoon View Post

What do you like to play?
Is funny I have been a Jazzer for a longtime, Miles D, Ellington, tracks like song for my father, Sidwinder stuff like that... though I am moving back to the rock side of things. I have been listening for the last 4 months almost solidily to Joe satriani time machine.. if you haven't heard well worth it. Quite lyrical, also a fair bit of Muse...

Plane wise just learning to to fly (and crash the J10) its a blast though a little twitch for me. nearly took out a line of club members at the flight line today ..Ooops

have a look at my blog for photos ......

How about you ?

Mystifired
mystifried is offline Find More Posts by mystifried
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:55 AM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
I play mostly, rock and reggae. Not terribly good at either but I'm in it for the fun. My unofficial drum teacher was a jazz drummer back in the day, and he has some serious skill. I play jazz trumpet as well and that style of playing is tricky, played by feel really, not good enough on the kit to play that way yet..

Checked out your blog and you have some nice planes! Most of mine are micro foamies at the moment. Wish I had some more balsa planes again.

HT