HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2011, 06:09 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,532 Posts
For what it's worth the Dynam PBY is overall a good airplane. It handles well both on the water and in the air. Plenty of power. Construction overall is good and the price is right. Yes it's not as fast at the Icon or Seawind but it's no slouch either. Good buy if you would like to have a twin in your hangar.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2011, 07:33 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
For what it's worth the Dynam PBY is overall a good airplane. It handles well both on the water and in the air. Plenty of power. Construction overall is good and the price is right. Yes it's not as fast at the Icon or Seawind but it's no slouch either. Good buy if you would like to have a twin in your hangar.

Glen
Appreciate the input Glen, thanks!
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:16 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
454 Posts
I agree small ICON A5 is groove.

Even though a little luck of buoyancy force moment to lateral direction, as side-floats donít have enough distance between both, this design gives us the opportunity to open the future design.

This model flies well and pretty smooth in calm circumstances only.
When we fly it In the cross wind, its fuselage side geometry forces us hard to control on the water. And more, its hall shape isnít suitable to take off from the water. Both side edges of the hall are dull, so the water running up along the surface of the fuselage. The water makes the fuselage down force into the water. This calls for more power to take off. This looks not smart like the real plane.

I added plates the both side edges of the hull, from nose to the step. The plates bounce the water and gain the lift.

ICON A5 very best of touch and go (3 min 40 sec)
shigetyann is offline Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:47 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
454 Posts
It’s about a month since I showed my ICON-A5’s step secrets.
Have anyone done this modification and flied ones?
I want to know your impression or comments.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:01 PM
Crash Ace
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Your touch and go's were impressive. I just got my A5 haven't maidened yet. would you please explain how the thro-ele mix works?
ImJeffW is offline Find More Posts by ImJeffW
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:40 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJeffW View Post
Your touch and go's were impressive. I just got my A5 haven't maidened yet. would you please explain how the thro-ele mix works?
Hi ImJeffW
I'm proud that your first post is to ask for my technical question.
Ok! The picture shows my ICON-A5’s mixing programs.
I found the s288 ICON-A5 has a tendency that when you cut a motor power suddenly from horizontal flight, it’s inclined to nose up. The tendency is not big though, it’s a little difficulty to descend the plane without any control. If you are accustomed to fly R/C airplane, you may have elevator down slightly to keep its speed, or to make it to be in a gradual decline.
The Mixing from throttle position to elevator makes control a little easier.
The throttle curve from -100% to -75% has gradual gradient. This range matches to the plane keep a speed and gentle declination to touch down.
You shouls not to flare just touchdown, or the plane starts porpoise.
The easy avoiding way from porpoise is to power off immediately when the plane has the first touchdown.
Let’s enjoy!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by shigetyann; Feb 03, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:09 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
FYI just put one of these up for sale!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1592779
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:57 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,724 Posts
I still haven't sorted out the problem with the motor mount on mine (thrust angle points the wrong way because of the way it was assembled) so I haven't built or flown it yet. I plan to replace the motor too because mine doesn't turn smoothly by hand, and motors are cheap - I'm going for slightly higher Kv.

It's on my list, but it's become quite a big list lately.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:46 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
454 Posts
Hi Andy2No

What are your troubles?
1st; you seem to wait to decide which angle is prefer. I recomend that you fly your model first and then modify it. I'm doing now yet.
2nd; I'm not hesitate agree with your decision that you replace a motor.

I'm now modfing the motor thrust angle and position. Its thrust seems too big, but it's easier for smooth landing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:10 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,724 Posts
shigetyann,

It's not the down thrust that bothers me, though more would be good. They put my motor mount together upside down so it has left thrust instead of right thrust. There's no way I'm risking flying it like that.

The only thing I'm waiting to decide is how to get it apart without damaging it.

Actually, looking at your pictures, I would have pointed the back end of the shaft up, not down.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Cant you feel the freedom
USA, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2007
345 Posts
Hey Guys, I got this plane a few days ago and finally got some testing in, here are my recommendations:

1 - Throw away the landing gear and rip the nose gear assembly out, it's useless and actually limits your yaw capability, while wasting weight. The plane takes off grass fine.

2 - Throw away the motor and ESC and get one of these:
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...esc-p-765.html
These kinds of models need speed to stay aloft more than anything, and this motors got plenty of that while weighing the same as the stock motor.

3 - Pull the two servos in the cockpit out and put them on the flaps, then install two metal gear servos to control the elevator and rudder. I use Corona 929-MGs.

4 - Setup flaps and setup the ailerons as spoilerons, when the flaps are full down 45 degrees have the spoilerons up about 20 degrees, this greatly reduces tip stalling at low speed (what this model LOVES to do) and makes it MUCH easier to land.

5 - Use spare foam to extend the elevator by about 30%, max throws all the way around.

6 - Fly with a 1,000 mah 3-cell as far aft as you can get it, this plane flies noseheavy.

7 - Nobody thinks you're cool with the hobbyking graphics.

Other than these small problems, the model is actually very nice. It frustrates me when I get a model that has nose gear and a plastic servo on the nosegear stearing, when are these guys gonna start putting metal gear servos where they need to be?

Keep the speed up and don't let the angle of attack get too high, especially if you're landing or doing a low and slow pass. The flaps/spoileron combo makes low speed MUCH easier to handle but it can still turn into a handful with tip-stalling-zilla.
NuttyPro67 is offline Find More Posts by NuttyPro67
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:43 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
454 Posts
To Andy2No

Ok, I got what is your trouble. You may add lateral taper wooden plate, like I did in vertical.
It's not so difficult, I think.

I want to know how works the back end of the shaft up. I wait your reports.

Regards

Shige
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:36 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
454 Posts
Hi NuttyPro67

I want to see your layout of servos, battery,amplifier and receiver, and your ICON-A5's weight.
Mine's layout, my pink version, is attached this.
My pink version's weight is around 550gram which includes 850mAh 3 cell Lipo and not mounts flap servos.

Did you finish taking off from the water?

I want to see some pictures or movies of your small ICON-A5.

Thanks forward

Shige
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:56 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,724 Posts
Shige,

Thanks, yes, I may do that but I figure I have to take the motor mount off anyway to get to the wires when I change the motor, so I'll try to get it apart and rebuild it when I do. They didn't glue it in properly anyway - there's only glue under one edge of it - so getting it out will be the easy part.

NuttyPro67,

I like the crow braking idea. Pictures would be good.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:11 AM
Red Sox Territory
Joined Mar 2009
50 Posts
So I just got mine in the other day, did a few flights over land and then put it on water. Overall it seemed to have enough power. I had troubles flying it at any type of slow speed which made landings hard. Also, I put a 1300 as far aft as possible, right up against the servos, and it seemed to be still nose heavy. I ended up putting a piece of lead in the tail to properly balance.

In the end, one wing dipped in the water on a landing and now that servo is dead. So i gotta swap that out, anyone else have this issue?

Nuttyprof, did you extend the control rods from the elevator and rudder when you replaced the servos? Mine barely had enough length for the stock position of the servos.
mmmbcn is offline Find More Posts by mmmbcn