HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Definitely too big...the model does not need the extra weight.

A 3S 1300 lipo is about optimum, IMO.
Thank you Thomas for the reply!

I should have also asked what "C" rating should I order? I have 20C's but nothing bigger in the 1300 3S class.

Thanks again...
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:05 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113 View Post
Thank you Thomas for the reply!

I should have also asked what "C" rating should I order? I have 20C's but nothing bigger in the 1300 3S class.

Thanks again...
20C is fine.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:12 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Thanks Glen!!!
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:48 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thomas B's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
The poll to choose a proper name for this small version of the Icon A5, in the HobbyKing forum, is now up, thanks to KaosKane. At the moment, HobbyKing just call it "HobbyKing EPO Seaplane - 1090mm (PNF)", which seems inadequate, and makes it very hard to search for any related information about it.

Here's the poll:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...=159409#159409 (the link doesn't work unless you log in first).
I bet the main reason that HK is not calling this model exactly what is is, a 1.09m Icon A5, is that Horizon has official licensed their Icon A5 model and HK and NFD has not.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2011, 05:18 AM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Maybe so. Until a couple of days ago they had a 1380mm wingspan Icon A5 kit (not quite the same design as the 1090mm one) called ICON-A5 Seaplane RC Model Kit

They've now changed the name of that one to "HobbyKing Seaplane RC Model Kit", so I guess it's never going to happen:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13848
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:26 AM
Registered User
shigetyann's Avatar
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Maybe so. Until a couple of days ago they had a 1380mm wingspan Icon A5 kit (not quite the same design as the 1090mm one) called ICON-A5 Seaplane RC Model Kit

They've now changed the name of that one to "HobbyKing Seaplane RC Model Kit", so I guess it's never going to happen:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13848
This, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13848, is the "Guanli model", not mention in this thread.
This has two small floats under a main wing.
shigetyann is offline Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by shigetyann; Dec 01, 2011 at 07:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:28 PM
Build, fly, crash. Repeat.
Goeland86's Avatar
Switzerland, Canton of Neuchâtel, Neuchâtel
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for reviewing the kit - I'm really liking what I read so far... I crashed my Art-Tech Coota (a gift from a fellow modeller I spent about 8 hours putting back together for about that much airtime with it, only to be disappointed...)

I'm wondering whether this A5 would be a better choice than the Seawind? I've got the electronics of the Coota still, which includes an 18A ESC and probably better motor (not stock ArtTech) - would it benefit from a power upgrade? (No stickers, so can't tell you much about motor unfortunately)

I have a Team Orion 30C 1800mAh 3S I was hoping to fly in it - weight around 160g...

Thanks!
Goeland86 is offline Find More Posts by Goeland86
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:24 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thomas B's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeland86 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for reviewing the kit - I'm really liking what I read so far... I crashed my Art-Tech Coota (a gift from a fellow modeller I spent about 8 hours putting back together for about that much airtime with it, only to be disappointed...)

I'm wondering whether this A5 would be a better choice than the Seawind? I've got the electronics of the Coota still, which includes an 18A ESC and probably better motor (not stock ArtTech) - would it benefit from a power upgrade? (No stickers, so can't tell you much about motor unfortunately)

I have a Team Orion 30C 1800mAh 3S I was hoping to fly in it - weight around 160g...

Thanks!
I own and fly both the 1.09M Icon and the Seawind. While I have not yet flown the little Icon off the water, the Seawind wins out in overall handling. I found the Seawind to be somewhat more "groovier" than the little Icon, with more precise handling, IMO. It has a little more wing area and a little lighter wing loading.

I will officially weigh in on the water performance after I can compare them head to head in that arena, but my current guess is that the Seawind is going to do a little bit better in that arena as well. One issue is known: The little Icon has some known issues with a crosswind swamping the downwind sponson and it has been reported that prop torque can also briefly swamp a sponson. This can likely be fixed by adding a little volume to the sponsons. The Seawind has tip floats built into the wingtips and does quite well in a crosswind.

When it comes to looks, the Icon firmly wins out over the Seawind, IMO.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Dec 05, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:02 AM
Build, fly, crash. Repeat.
Goeland86's Avatar
Switzerland, Canton of Neuchâtel, Neuchâtel
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Thanks Thomas for the reply. I was wondering how it handled in the air compared to the Seawind - a friend of mine has the Seawind and I helped him put it together. I was impressed by the quality of that kit.

What I remember of the Seawind is that it seems to handle water slightly better than the A5 from the video on HK's site. Looks like a GP kit is in order for me
Goeland86 is offline Find More Posts by Goeland86
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:26 PM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
I'd guessed they'd probably used the 1450Kv A2208-14 (Suppo / DYS / Strong Power), which suits a 7x5 prop and is rated for 16A max, but according to Dr Kiwi's test results with the Suppo version, it draws 11.6A at 11V with the APC 7x5E: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1808774

It's possible the stock motor actually is 1200Kv, as it says in the specs on the HobbyKing product page. The nearest version that's normally sold is the 1100Kv A2208-17 (8A max). Possibly they've had one wound specially? E.g. a 16 turn version might be about 1200Kv.
Looking into it a bit more, I noticed that Dr Kiwi found the Kv of the Suppo A2208-17 "1100Kv" motor was actually 1250Kv, so it seems likely that the stock motor in these is just one of the copies of that motor (DYS / Strong Power or similar), which means it's only rated for 7A-8A max.

I've bought the 1450Kv version (A2208-14), which is rated for 12A, not 16A as I said before. It may be a while before I get round to fitting it.

What's the glue like that's supplied with the kit? Is it a foaming polyurethane one, or a kind of CA? I haven't opened my bottle yet. Is it a good glue to use for the sponsons?
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:04 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thomas B's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,473 Posts
The glue included is a contact type glue, sort of like Uhu or the glue that comes with GWS kits, but with a different smell. Odd type of bottle, though. It works well enough on the Epo type foam...I used it on my model.

Not all that much to glue...the horizontal stab to the top of the vertical stab, the sponsons to the fuse and the forward wing attach hardware to the wing was about all, as I recall.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:34 AM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Hi everyone,

I received my Icon this morning and was wondering what you folks are using for the CG position?

It looks very nice except for the decals but I can live with it.

I've been looking at the GP Seawind and the Dynam PBY Catalina and was curious if anyone can compare the two planes?

Thanks for your advice!

PS - Forgot to ask if you folks are water proofing your electronics (Rx, ESC, etc)?
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Last edited by jer291113; Dec 09, 2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Another question...
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:08 PM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
The glue included is a contact type glue, sort of like Uhu or the glue that comes with GWS kits, but with a different smell. Odd type of bottle, though. It works well enough on the Epo type foam...I used it on my model.
Thanks, Thomas. I'll use that then.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2011, 02:57 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thomas B's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113 View Post
Hi everyone,

I received my Icon this morning and was wondering what you folks are using for the CG position?

It looks very nice except for the decals but I can live with it.

I've been looking at the GP Seawind and the Dynam PBY Catalina and was curious if anyone can compare the two planes?

Thanks for your advice!

PS - Forgot to ask if you folks are water proofing your electronics (Rx, ESC, etc)?
I compared the 1.09 meter Icon and the GP Seawind in post 53.

Not certain it would be valid to compare the Dynam PBY to the little Icon due to the size difference and the twin engine vs single engine difference. PBYs tend to lumber around a little and are not typically as fast or as spritely in the manner of the Seawind or the little Icon.

I am waterproofing with Corrosion X.... Lots of posts discussing Corrosion X here in the waterplane forum.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2011, 05:42 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post

... PBYs tend to lumber around a little and are not typically as fast or as spritely in the manner of the Seawind or the little Icon.

...
Thanks Thomas - this was what I was interested in knowing!
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product GuanLi Icon A5 flyandi Electric Plane Talk 393 Mar 03, 2014 09:20 AM
Discussion 'My' Guanli Icon A5 FINALLY flies.... hfsarber Waterplanes 0 Sep 25, 2011 05:32 PM
New Product Seaplane ICON A5 by Guanli kitaro Scale ARF/RTF 4 Sep 04, 2011 05:22 PM
Discussion HobbyKing Icon-A5 for FPV? djdavid60 FPV Talk 7 Jul 13, 2011 03:20 PM
Discussion GuanLi Icon A5 for FPV popoti FPV Talk 22 Nov 11, 2010 10:40 AM