HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:52 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
To Andy2No
Sorry reply late.
Thanks Thomas B for answering him.
Actually I bought this 1.09m ICON-A5 from a domestic internet shop in Japan. The shop had imported from China directly.
Yes, the decals came with the kit.
Your interest about three-blade airscrew is modified from FSK (FLYING STYRO in Czech)ís multi blade universal propeller kit. Its spec is 9inch-daia, 8inch-pitch.
I post pictures of modifying process, just for your reference.
I set up head lights and fog lights using LEDs.

Regards

Shige

>
>
shigetyann,

Is that the 1.09m model? Did those scale decals come with the kit?

EDIT: I see it says 1090mm at the start of the video. Where did you get the decals?

What prop did you use? I assume you cut some off the tips?

The lights look good.[/QUOTE]
shigetyann is offline Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Coming soaling season in Japan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:47 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,811 Posts
Thanks, Shige. Your propeller mod is impressive. Was it hard to get it to balance?

What's the two bladed prop on the left, that drew 8.1A @ 11.1V?
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:54 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Thanks, Shige. Your propeller mod is impressive. Was it hard to get it to balance?

What's the two bladed prop on the left, that drew 8.1A @ 11.1V?
I used propeller balancer. Most useful way to balance a prop is tiny piece of sticky tapes.
I think it's not so difficult to balance.

It seems a chinese copy of APC D7-P5 propeller included this NFD hobby's ARF kit.
When I measured of the load of propellers, The battery was 2200mAh 3cell Lipo.

Regards

Shige
shigetyann is offline Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by shigetyann; Nov 27, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:51 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,628 Posts
Will likely go back and do the flaps this winter after the experience of landing it in dead calm conditions. Might revisit the CG a little and move it forward another 1/8" or so.

I may do some throttle curve reprogramming as well, to make the availabe throttle response on the ESC more linear, as the stock ESC gets all its travel with only about 60" of the throttle stick travel.

I drew the A5 fuse logo and the ICON A-5 underwing logo in AI after work the other night, so I can cut a vinyl decal for these two markings in the future.

I also covered the aileron servo lead cutout in the bottom of the wing with a 3/4" wide white trim Monokote strip to hids things a litle better.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:07 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigetyann View Post
It seems a chinese copy of APC D7-P5 propeller included this NFD hobby's ARF kit.
When I measured of the load of propellers, The battery was 2200mAh 3cell Lipo.

Shige
Thanks, Shige. I'm assuming the same motor is in the HobbyKing PNF version, but I can't be certain, of course.

I'd guessed they'd probably used the 1450Kv A2208-14 (Suppo / DYS / Strong Power), which suits a 7x5 prop and is rated for 16A max, but according to Dr Kiwi's test results with the Suppo version, it draws 11.6A at 11V with the APC 7x5E: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1808774

It's possible the stock motor actually is 1200Kv, as it says in the specs on the HobbyKing product page. The nearest version that's normally sold is the 1100Kv A2208-17 (8A max). Possibly they've had one wound specially? E.g. a 16 turn version might be about 1200Kv.

I'm now thinking that as I have to remove my motor and motor mount, and my motor may need attention, I'll just fit the 1450Kv version instead, and use a 7x5E or equivalent. 11.6A is a good current for a 1300mAh 20C lipo anyway, and it should give close to 1:1 thrust to weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Will likely go back and do the flaps this winter after the experience of landing it in dead calm conditions. Might revisit the CG a little and move it forward another 1/8" or so.
I'll probably add flaps eventually, but we have no shortage of windy days so I'll just try it out when it's not too calm. Thanks for the tip, Thomas.

Quote:
I may do some throttle curve reprogramming as well, to make the available throttle response on the ESC more linear, as the stock ESC gets all its travel with only about 60" of the throttle stick travel.
Have you tried resetting the throttle range? I haven't tried my stock ESC yet, but on a lot of ESCs you set the range by holding full throttle on the Tx, then powering up the ESC, waiting for a beep or two, then reducing to zero throttle. I've got one ESC where that switches the brake on and off though.

Another possibility is that the stock prop is too flexible and flattens out above a certain rpm, so it doesn't give any more power. You could try it with a stiffer 7x5 or 7x6 to see if it still does it, I guess.

Quote:
I drew the A5 fuse logo and the ICON A-5 underwing logo in AI after work the other night, so I can cut a vinyl decal for these two markings in the future.

I also covered the aileron servo lead cutout in the bottom of the wing with a 3/4" wide white trim Monokote strip to hids things a litle better.
I'll look forward to seeing your decals. I have some trim tape of various widths so I'll do the same with the wires.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:13 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,628 Posts
The prop, while a little flexible, is not flattening out. There is no change in RPM during the last 25% of throttle travel. Already tried resetting the ESC by powering up the radio at high throttle and setting a high and low point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:11 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Andy2No - I'm about to pull the trigger on this plane and tried your Buddy Code but it doesn't seem to work??? Any idea?

Thanks!

PS - Your code for the pusher prop does...
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:50 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,811 Posts
Thomas,

I see. That's not good. Maybe I'll replace the ESC too. HobbyWing (not HobbyKing) are my favourites, and I can buy an 18A one in the UK for about £10 GBP (around $15, I guess).

jer291113,

The order with the Icon A5 ("HobbyKing EPO Seaplane - 1090mm (PNF)") was on the 17th of November (November 17th, if you prefer) so it should still be valid for a couple of days. Did you log in immediately before using the buddy code link? Sometimes they log you out almost straight away - click on Your Account and see if it asks you to sign in, then click the buddy code link:

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...3-99A85B42ADCA

When I do that, it shows as $84.26. If I do it without being logged in first, it shows it as $89.05.

Which was the pusher prop one? I bought some 4x2.5 counter rotating props with some other stuff a few days earlier. Is that what you meant? I still haven't seen those. Parcel Force claims they've been in customs clearance since last week.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:07 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,811 Posts
The poll to choose a proper name for this small version of the Icon A5, in the HobbyKing forum, is now up, thanks to KaosKane. At the moment, HobbyKing just call it "HobbyKing EPO Seaplane - 1090mm (PNF)", which seems inadequate, and makes it very hard to search for any related information about it.

Here's the poll:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...=159409#159409 (the link doesn't work unless you log in first).

I don't really know anything about how the HK forum works, but maybe it's still possible to add names to the list, if anyone's interested. So far, only a few votes have been cast.

It remains to be seen whether HobbyKing will actually adopt the name that most people vote for, but it's worth a try, I guess.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:23 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:

jer291113,

When I do that, it shows as $84.26. If I do it without being logged in first, it shows it as $89.05.
Yes I get $84.26 but on the Swarm International site it shows $82.89 no biggie.

This is the prop I was going to order with a swarm code, I may have been mistaken as to who posted it. Master Airscrew 8x6 pusher
Wonder if this will fit now?

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:50 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,811 Posts
jer291113,

Good. I'm not sure how the Swarm International site arrives at the figures. I just pasted in the buddy code and it did the rest. I seem to remember the discount was for just over $4... it says $4.12 now, so I guess it's working as it should.

You may have to trim a bit off each blade on that prop, like Shige did with his, but just carefully taking a bit off each tip to give clearance should be okay - then balance it so it won't vibrate.

I once cut down a 2 bladed prop for my CC Lee J3 Cub. I used a pair of dividers to draw an arc that was the same on each blade, keeping one end against the inside of the prop hole. After that, you just sand bits off the tips as you balance it. I've never tried it with a 3 blader though.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:26 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
jer291113,

Good. I'm not sure how the Swarm International site arrives at the figures. I just pasted in the buddy code and it did the rest. I seem to remember the discount was for just over $4... it says $4.12 now, so I guess it's working as it should.

You may have to trim a bit off each blade on that prop, like Shige did with his, but just carefully taking a bit off each tip to give clearance should be okay - then balance it so it won't vibrate.

I once cut down a 2 bladed prop for my CC Lee J3 Cub. I used a pair of dividers to draw an arc that was the same on each blade, keeping one end against the inside of the prop hole. After that, you just sand bits off the tips as you balance it. I've never tried it with a 3 blader though.
Thanks for the info Andy. Well I placed my order using EMS shipping but then after the order is placed they tell you it's JIT so add 3-5 more days, oh well.

Fortunately here in Florida the lakes don't freeze but it does get pretty windy in the winter, I usualy don't fly with winds greater than 8 mph, too chicken.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:53 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,811 Posts
You're welcome, jer291113.

Yes, I had that experience too. The time before that when I ordered something that turned out to be JIT, it delayed my order by about two weeks, but on that one, it was only a few days. It arrived quicker than the previous order, which was just by airmail... I'm still waiting for that one.

I've got a couple of planes that are happy in about 10mph but only one that's really comfortable in 15mph winds - my brushless modified Sky Scooter, with an added rudder. It's not even a powerful setup. It runs on a 2s 1800mAh lipo at about 12A WOT. Partly it's the durability of the fuselage, the fact that it has a folding prop and doesn't have landing gear so I can just drop it at my feet without it tripping over on landings when the wind's gusting, and the fact that it's been glued so many times I no longer worry what it looks like

My 4CH brushless EasyStar can handle a bit of wind, but I don't like the way the wings flex when it's really windy - they look like they could break. Plus it doesn't want to stay on the ground after its landed; it tries to fly away.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:10 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Would the Turnigy Nano-tech 2200mAh 3S be to big for this plane?
If yes, what would be the max size you would suggest?

Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:27 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113 View Post
Would the Turnigy Nano-tech 2200mAh 3S be to big for this plane?
If yes, what would be the max size you would suggest?

Thanks!
Definitely too big...the model does not need the extra weight.

A 3S 1300 lipo is about optimum, IMO.
RCG Plus Member