Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:51 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
Question
How viscous is Gorilla Glue?

The only type of gorilla glue which I can find locally is this type as in the attached pic.

However I am not sure how viscous the glue should be, cos when I pick a 13 oz bottle, the glue inside looks almost like a 90% cured pva glue or CA that has reached end of life long ago.

I can see some air trapped at the bottom which just will not float to the top as air usually do in liquid, and when I lightly squeeze the plastic bottle, I can see that the glue inside is really thick. Just wondering if it is really so thick would it be difficult to spread a thin layer?
DL8698 is offline Find More Posts by DL8698
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:15 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
You can add water to reduce it.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:53 AM
massachusetts
Joined Aug 2003
920 Posts
11/18/11
Don't add water to Gorilla glue. He 's putting you on. Gorilla glue go's bad very fast once opened. So buy small bottles. You can also try storing it upside down once you open it. Gorilla glue is one of the strongest glues out there, but it will foam like craze if you add water. I never add water to it. Use very small amounts. There is now a clear Gorilla glue at some craft stores, Like Michel's.

Remember we’re all in this together. Have A Great Day
Downwind 1 is offline Find More Posts by Downwind 1
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:08 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Only talking a few drops, and it actually foams less. I've used it many a times w/water on balsa birds. Adding water is the only way it will seep into all the cracks.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:20 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
Forgot to mention the bottle I looked at was a brand new bottle on sale in a store. And all the bottles in the entire box on the shelf had glue with the same thick extremely viscous appearance. Just wondering if this its normal appearance.

Not sure about adding water to it as it appears that water reacts with the glue.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:27 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Water is fine to add, but honestly I would stay away from gorilla glue all together. What is your project? I know for a fact there is a better alternative than gorilla glue.

Off there website:
Gorilla Glue reacts with moisture to cure – this is what causes the chemical reaction in polyurethane adhesives.
Last edited by Dan5.0; Nov 18, 2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:35 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
No particular project in mind although at the moment I am at the stage of sticking together the tiled plans for the bd5 by vleisie. I am not really thinking of using gorilla glue for this, but was just thinking of getting a bottle for general use, basically on foam. But not sure if those I saw at the store were old stock that had already partially set.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:39 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,466 Posts
It normally when fresh has the consistency of honey not thickened but runny, sounds like old stock to me . use less is better.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:39 AM
massachusetts
Joined Aug 2003
920 Posts
Every buddy has their favorite Glues, and most glue’s work well for a given purpose. I Don’t use just one glue for every thing. There are some of the glues I’ve used in the past.
UHU glue, In most cases, It can be used like Contac cement, apply to both sides and let stand 10 minutes before putting peace’s to gather, It’s the same as GWS glue. I’ve only used it on small planes, for putting carbon fiber on leading and tailing edge of wings.
NHP Epoxy. Twelve minute is a good all-round glue; 5 minute is to fast for me. 30 min is way to slow. I use it mostly were I need the extra strength. Like motor mounts and landing gear. It can be thinned buy warming it up first. You can pour a little out and use a heat gun to worm it up.
Gorilla glue is probably the strongest. But can be difficult, If you’re using it for the first time. Don’t use too much as it foams and expands. And don’t add water. Not recommended for these small planes.
One of my favorites is RC glue or 56 canopy glue; I’ve built entire small planes with this, except for a little epoxy and 3 M tape, Unlike other glues it doesn’t get brittle. The only drawback is its slow drying and must set over night.
Elmer’s glue I’ve only used it for repairs. Slow drying. You could probably use it for building. I haven’t tried it for that yet.
Low Heat hot glue I only use it were the servos go through the fuselage. Put a little on the back side. The advantage of this, is you can easily chip it off if you decide to take them out. Otherwise I use double sided tape for flat services. You can buy it from Home Depot. And believe me it won’t come off easily. I don’t trust hot glues, For mounting servos on flat a surface. I’ve seen them come off other peoples planes. It’s to brittle. I just started using CA on foam about a couple years ago , Only using medium viscosity with kicker. I’ve built entire models with this.
I wrote this some time ago. Hope it helps.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:58 AM
massachusetts
Joined Aug 2003
920 Posts
Scratch Built Polaris with mostley foam safe CA
Polaris wt. 19.5 oz , 6 mm Dapron
Motor Headsup rc Zoom 400 Kv 2200
22.5 oz of thurst with APC 6 X 4 Prop,
Battery 1800mA from Headsup
EPC CC Thunder bird 36, 1 HS 45 servo Elevator, 1 Futaba 3114 Ailerons. GWS on rudder,
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:00 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
It normally when fresh has the consistency of honey not thickened but runny, sounds like old stock to me . use less is better.
That's what I thought, that it might be stock that has partially set, seeing how thick it is.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:15 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
I like Gorilla Glue and use it, although not on EPP where I use welders instead. It is very important after using the Gorilla Glue to squeeze all the air out of the bottle.

I use the 2 fluid ounce bottles that dry white.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter